• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greatest Mistake Atheists Make

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
They ask others for the evidences or proofs; they don't provide them themselves; simply because they don't have one to offer. They seem on the demolishing end not on the constructive end, in my opinion.
Ah, so it would just be better to not question beliefs? Maybe we shouldn't have ever questioned where the rain came from, or whether the earth truly was flat, or what stars are made out of. We should have simply accepted what the medicine men, prophets, priests, and shamans had been telling us. It truly is better to simply make up an answer, or to accept answers fed you without question, rather than to say "I don't know" or to ask "Why do you believe that?".

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Are you going to make that argument against the existence of God as I and millions of others define God or are you going to continue waste my time?
Actually, he did make an argument that you have refused to even acknowledge.

Interesting how you simply ignore the very thing you claim to be looking for....

Perhaps you would be so kind as to finally explain why your particular definition of "god" is meaningful outside your own self serving agenda?

I also find it comical that you have not presented anything against his "argument" that has not been a logical fallacy.
Seems you are just as guilty as those you rally against...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I didn't mean "most cultures" in general. I meant the cultures and religions in which the posters on this forum primarily come from. Predominately North American, Western European, some Middle Eastern, cultures which are dominated by Christian and Muslim religious views, two religions in which the followers and interpretations tend to be very literal.

But again, not really: I've never met a Christian who takes the Bible historically; I've never met an "ordinary Christian" who believes Adam and Eve were real, or the story of Noah really happened, or denies evolution. One fundy, yes, but the guy was completely insane before he found Jesus. :p

I don't think most followers of Christianity 'tend to be very literal'; it's more of a phenomena in North America. Many Muslims it does seem to be the case... which is embarrassing, considering some Islamic thinkers came up with ideas before even Darwin (al-Jahiz, al-Biruni) -- but why do they think this? Again, it's either ignorance of the teachings of evolution, or thinking evolution denies God, so they feel they have to go against it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
But again, not really: I've never met a Christian who takes the Bible historically; I've never met an "ordinary Christian" who believes Adam and Eve were real, or the story of Noah really happened, or denies evolution. One fundy, yes, but the guy was completely insane before he found Jesus. :p

I don't think most followers of Christianity 'tend to be very literal'; it's more of a phenomena in North America. Many Muslims it does seem to be the case... which is embarrassing, considering some Islamic thinkers came up with ideas before even Darwin (al-Jahiz, al-Biruni) -- but why do they think this? Again, it's either ignorance of the teachings of evolution, or thinking evolution denies God, so they feel they have to go against it.

Let's just say, where I grew up, I didn't know there was a way other than literal to take the Bible.

Regardless, I think Christianity and Islam take their religions literally. Jesus literally died on a cross to atone for their sins. This is not taken as mythology; this is taken as fact. The inability to appreciate myth or religion as myth is not only an atheist problem.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What they are doing is making an argument against what people think God is and not against the existence of God.

But the same could be said about anything, so this is redundant.

If you try to prove that a crocodile doesn't exist in your room, i could just say that whatever you say or provide does not disprove the existence of a crocodile in your room, but only what people think a crocodile is.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We know Him from His attributes.

What does this mean?

The "attributes" you listed off included a number of things that could never be tested for. I mean, I have a feeling that your thought process is more like "I believe in Allah, so therefore I believe him to be the Source of Peace" than it is like "I've found a source of peace; it must be Allah!"

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What does this mean?

The "attributes" you listed off included a number of things that could never be tested for. I mean, I have a feeling that your thought process is more like "I believe in Allah, so therefore I believe him to be the Source of Peace" than it is like "I've found a source of peace; it must be Allah!"

How one tests the attributes?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think most followers of Christianity 'tend to be very literal'; it's more of a phenomena in North America.
Not where I live. Most Xians I know don't take the Bible literally.
And they lament that some do.

Btw, "phenomenon" is the singular of "phenomena".

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But the same could be said about anything, so this is redundant.
If you try to prove that a crocodile doesn't exist in your room, i could just say that whatever you say or provide does not disprove the existence of a crocodile in your room, but only what people think a crocodile is.
Of course, "crocodile" is a well defined word, even if they are sometimes confused with alligators.
But people define "God" to be anything from a big omnipotent guy with a white beard to people themselves.
I prefer crocs.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If you're going to say that you know God by his attributes, then it's up to you to answer that.

The believer does not test the attributes of the one true attributive creator God; one only observes it to be true from the daily happenings before one's eyes.

It is the one true attributive creator God who tests the human beings not the vice versa, I think.