• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Gospel - Is it only that Jesus died or is it that we celebrate The Resurrection?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Since you are stereotyping "Pharisees", my participation on this ends.
Ok, but wasn't it Jesus who pronounced many 'woes' and his reasons why against the Pharisees in Matthew chapter 23
Remember Not all remained a Pharisee but changed their association.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

The Gospel - Is it only that Jesus died or is it that we celebrate The Resurrection?​

Actually, they are one, as in John's Gospel, ONE event, D/R, Jesus 'Lifted" up in glory.
Resurrection was one event that happened ' after ' Jesus' death.
The Last Supper (Luke 22:19) was one event that happened ' before ' Jesus died.
If Jesus died un-faithful there would have been No resurrection.
However, Jesus wants to be remembered by the passing of the bread and wine - Luke 22:19
So, just as a wedding anniversary does Not always come on a Friday, the anniversary of the Last Supper (bead and wine) also would Not always come on a Friday. Just a the Passover date does Not always fall on the same day of the week.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The Jews do not have the convenience of knowing that the story of Jesus is true and can only view it as a what-if scenario. "What if" the law failed. "What if" an innocent man were condemned. That 'What if' is what Paul's arguments about atonement address, however Paul's arguments can be applied to Israel itself as the Son of Man (the original Son of Man).
From what I am learning here, some who claim that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies do not themselves believe what is written in the earlier books by the Jews. And that includes non-Jews here also who say all of it is myth. Therefore--logically ... it doesn't matter how you compare if none of it is true in fact and substance.

YoursTrue

Ok, but wasn't it Jesus who pronounced many 'woes' and his reasons why against the Pharisees in Matthew chapter 23
Many say that Jesus believed myths, and that the Hebrew-Aramaic scriptures are basically mythical.
It's almost like Jesus said, a house built on sand will not stand. Of course he did say he is the truth. And Pilate found no fault in him based on the charges against him.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Right, hence giving up something of value.
Sacrifice means your not getting it back ever again at a loss.
interesting thought ^above^ because 'Jesus physical sinless life' was something of value.
Like sinner Adam did, would Jesus give in and also sin________
So, Jesus' sinless body was of value just like Adam's sinless body was.
Adam gave up his sinless body by sinning and to not getting it back ever again at a loss.
Jesus did Not give up his sinless body by sinning as Adam did.
Jesus gave up a sinless physical body to gain back his pre-human heavenlly spirit body.
Thus, Jesus balanced the Scales of Justice for us.
Sinner Adam was at one end of the balance scale and unbalanced it.
Sinless Jesus was that the other end of the balance scale and could restore the balance for us.
This is why Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life ( Everlasting Life on Earth for the majority of mankind )

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Materialized body. A physical body can not appear in a closed room - see John 20:14-15; later at verses 19 and 26 .
The woman at the grave yard did Not recognize the resurrected Jesus in verse 15.
Jesus presented a materialized body for doubting Thomas to see.
That would make Jesus a liar then.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If one understands what the Pharisees approach to theology was, then they'd know Jesus was one of them. Here, this may help you, especially if one contrasts their theology from the other Jewish sects back then: Pharisees - Wikipedia

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
From what I am learning here, some who claim that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies do not themselves believe what is written in the earlier books by the Jews. And that includes non-Jews here also who say all of it is myth. Therefore--logically ... it doesn't matter how you compare if none of it is true in fact and substance.
I think Jesus fulfills the prophecies in the future through his church. The Christian through eyes of faith believes all is accomplished, that Jesus is the alpha and omega, even though it is not visible to physical eyes. Faith(fulness) is the evidence of things not seen. Martyrs are the foundation of the church.

When men are taught to analyze Torah they can get life from it, and regardless of whether "none of it is true in fact" it still has substance. If women want to study Torah that is up to them, but its important that the men begin to learn it. A male Christian who cannot analyze the Torah must do without the strength it lends. Its easy to develop an addiction to signs. We see this: in groups that look for proofs that prophecies have been fulfilled. There are some long and complex arguments, because they start to see prophecy as a tool to prove things.

YoursTrue

I think Jesus fulfills the prophecies in the future through his church. The Christian through eyes of faith believes all is accomplished, that Jesus is the alpha and omega, even though it is not visible to physical eyes. Faith(fulness) is the evidence of things not seen. Martyrs are the foundation of the church.

When men are taught to analyze Torah they can get life from it, and regardless of whether "none of it is true in fact" it still has substance. If women want to study Torah that is up to them, but its important that the men begin to learn it. A male Christian who cannot analyze the Torah must do without the strength it lends. Its easy to develop an addiction to signs. We see this: in groups that look for proofs that prophecies have been fulfilled. There are some long and complex arguments, because they start to see prophecy as a tool to prove things.
They get life through Torah? What kind of life and can you prove or evidence that?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
1) He came to live as we did. To experience what He never experienced
I accept and believe the first sentence not the second.
2) He came to save us from ourselves and to free us to a new level of living

I would put it as He came to take the burden of our suffering on his shoulders and to free us to a new level of living.
3) He conquered the authority of Death, Hell and the Grave in His resurrection
I have a different view. Death is nothing special. God taking on the suffering of humanity as a man in order to move us forward is special.
4) He offers a new life with a new authority and a new way of living.
I agree but not just for Christians. Everything in creation benefits from his incarnation.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I accept and believe the first sentence not the second.

do you think he has experienced before?
I would put it as He came to take the burden of our suffering on his shoulders and to free us to a new level of living.

that’s good IMV
I have a different view. Death is nothing special. God taking on the suffering of humanity as a man in order to move us forward is special.

ok - not a deal breaker :)
I agree but not just for Christians. Everything in creation benefits from his incarnation.
I agree that all creation benefits

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It does? Hope for what? I'd like to know what you think and if you believe it.
I'm talking about something that miracles, stories of miracles and arguments about miracles cannot provide. The scriptures have a value with or without.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
do you think he has experienced before?
I accept the Eastern view of the Avatar who comes again and again - God living as a man over and over. Using Christian terms, there is only one eternal Christ and Jesus was one time of many times the Christ lived as man. There is a song which expresses this very well: In My Name Lyrics

When righteousness declines
And wickedness is strong,
In the dying of an age
As a new age comes along,
That is when I rise again
And yet again to light the flame
Of truth within the sons of men.

I am Light.
I am Truth.
I am the fire of the Son.
I am the hope of all the earth,
The spirit of the One.

When men have lost their way
And know not where to turn,
And the future seems to end
Where the fires of hatred burn,
Then let men look within
To see the rising of my flame
Of love to light the way again.

I am Love.
I am Truth.
I am the power of the Son.
I am the Light within all men
The spirit of the One.

When darkness seeks to hold
The hears of men in fear,
When men cry out for help
And no one seems to hear,
To shatter forms enslaving men
To let a newer world be born.

I am Light.
I am Truth.
I am the freedom of the Son.
I am the destiny of Man,
The triumph of the One.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I accept the Eastern view of the Avatar who comes again and again - God living as a man over and over. Using Christian terms, there is only one eternal Christ and Jesus was one time of many times the Christ lived as man. There is a song which expresses this very well: In My Name Lyrics

In the dying of an age

I am Light.
I am Truth.
The spirit of the One.

Then let men look within

I am Love.
I am Truth.
The spirit of the One.

I am Light.
I am Truth.
I am the destiny of Man,
The triumph of the One.
Very interesting… thank you for sharing

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If one understands what the Pharisees approach to theology was, then they'd know Jesus was one of them. Here, this may help you, especially if one contrasts their theology from the other Jewish sects back then: Pharisees - Wikipedia
True, Jesus was born under the old Constitution of the Mosaic Law.
The Pharisees hated Jesus and Jesus explains why he pronounced many 'woes' upon them in chapter 23 of Matthew.
Jesus as Messiah (Not Pharisee) put his followers under the 'Law of Christ' - see Galatians 6:2
No longer under the old Mosaic Law's Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18, but under Jesus' New Commandment found at John 13:34-35; John 15:12
Now 'New' because Jesus' followers are Now to love neighbor More than self, more than the old Golden Rule.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In the dying of an age
I am Light.
I am Truth.
The spirit of the One.
Then let men look within
I am Love.
I am Truth.
The spirit of the One.
I am Light.
I am Truth.
I am the destiny of Man,
The triumph of the One.
Thank you for sharing and 'yes', when darkness seeks to hold.... men in fear... crying out for help... and No one seems to hear.... this is when I rise again.... to let a newer (or new) world be born......

Yes, the darkness seeks to hold as described at 2nd Timothy 31-5,13 men's mental/moral darkness.
Thankfully we have the free-will choice to choose the dark or the light.
When in a windowless dark basement and suddenly the power goes out leaving one in the dark one might panic, but one who has and can shine a flash light gets his way up and out of a cluttered dark basement to the light.
In the case of following Jesus, his teachings reflect spiritual light on the way out of a spiritually dark world.
Jesus reflecting God's light, spiritual enlightenment, as seeing the sun's light comforts us as we exit a dark basement.
As in the coming new world ( Jesus' Millennium day is born )
This is because Not only is God "IS" Love, but also God "IS" light - 1st John 1:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Historically, that is the order. In the highly theological gospel of Jn, it is one event, Jesus glorified.
Good point about Jesus being glorified - Rev. 3:21 - because the heavenly Jesus is glorified.
Unlike a novel, the Bible I find is Not written to just be read as one would read a novel.
The Bible is chock full of harmonious corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages.
( such as besides John, Luke 22:19 with Matthew 26:27-28; Mark 14:23-24; 1st Corinthians 11:23-25 )
This a reason why Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " It is written....."
Meaning already written down in the OT on which Jesus based his teachings, his logical reasoning on the OT for us.