• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Good in Bad Science

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
On these forums, the usual claim of most Atheist and believers in scientific myths and fairytale stories, is that the reason people don't believe those cosmology and evolution stories, is because of a religious agenda. However, the evidence says otherwise.

Disagree. I think the evidence is very much in line with it.
I don't know of anybody who actively argues against biological evolution theory while not having some religiously based incompatible beliefs as well.

The truth is, people who do not suppress common sense, for a belief system, reject what is obviously bad science, or actually, no science at all.
Hence, many Atheists, and Agnostics are coming to a different view thanks to bad science.

For evidence of this, one just needs to do a simple search on "former Atheist", or "Atheist who became".
The number of Atheist who, in the last century, came to believe in a designer - God, is enormous.

Argument from popularity is a fallacy.
And lying and / or citing non-existant statistics, isn't exactly a good debate tactic either.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Disagree. I think the evidence is very much in line with it.
I don't know of anybody who actively argues against biological evolution theory while not having some religiously based incompatible beliefs as well.

Argument from popularity is a fallacy.
And lying and / or citing non-existant statistics, isn't exactly a good debate tactic either.
Actually, I recall we were having a discussion, and you abruptly disappeared without what I would consider the courtesy to say... well... I don't know.... something at least.
I find persons with a faith in an unsupported claim, are usually the ones who can't seem to stand behind the 'mountains of evidence' claim.
Why is it that it's always about another person's religious belief?
Why is it never about the fact that your own religious beliefs is what drives your faith?
If it's not a religious belief then why is it, you can't seem to stand and answer question that dig into that evidence?

People with a religious belief are willing to stand up and debate the evolutionists. Why is that? Certainly, it can't be that they don't have a reasonable basis for doing so. It's not about religion obviously.
Even non-religious people question and argue against the theory.... and in fact, as I pointed out, some even change their view about it, because of the lack of evidence.
Clearly, rather than seeing a mountain, they see a valley - actually more like a deep trench, or gully.

Claiming that people have a religious agenda, is simply a strawman... and a fallacy itself.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
On these forums, the usual claim of most Atheist and believers in scientific myths and fairytale stories, is that the reason people don't believe those cosmology and evolution stories, is because of a religious agenda. However, the evidence says otherwise.

The truth is, people who do not suppress common sense, for a belief system, reject what is obviously bad science, or actually, no science at all.
Hence, many Atheists, and Agnostics are coming to a different view thanks to bad science.

For evidence of this, one just needs to do a simple search on "former Atheist", or "Atheist who became".
The number of Atheist who, in the last century, came to believe in a designer - God, is enormous.

So, there is actually good in bad science.
In everything bad, there is always some good, apparently.

Oh no. You don’t accept Big Bang cosmology either.

Don’t tell me now that you believe the Universe is a few thousands years old, while still stating science and scriptures agree.

By the way, do you think common sense is useful for things like quantum mechanics or relativity?

Remember, our brain evolved for survival and not to have a common sense for things not related to it.

Ciao

- viole

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Actually, I recall we were having a discussion, and you abruptly disappeared without what I would consider the courtesy to say... well... I don't know.... something at least.

Which discussion are you referring to?
Certainly possible that I simply forgot about it and that your notification of a reply got lost in the long list of other notifications. Usually I actively try to not just leave conversations. But sometimes, I don't come to the forums for a few days and I won't rule out that I might have missed a post or two during one of such intervals.

I find persons with a faith in an unsupported claim, are usually the ones who can't seem to stand behind the 'mountains of evidence' claim.

Who are you talking about? And what claim?

Because they always make it about their religion in the end.
As said, when "debating" a creationist, it's only a matter of time before they are put into a corner after which the religious gloves come on.

Why is it never about the fact that your own religious beliefs is what drives your faith?

I'm an atheist. I don't have religious beliefs.

If it's not a religious belief then why is it, you can't seem to stand and answer question that dig into that evidence?

What question?
I honestly have no idea what you are referring to....

People with a religious belief are willing to stand up and debate the evolutionists. Why is that?

Because they feel a need to spread their religious beliefs, I'ld guess.

Certainly, it can't be that they don't have a reasonable basis for doing so.

Why can't that be the case?
Obviously, creationists will find creationism and their fundamentalist religious beliefs a "reasonable basis". Obviously, I don't agree at all.

It's not about religion obviously.

Obviously, it is. If it weren't, there'ld be many secular / atheist biologists arguing against evolution as well. But that just doesn't happen.

The anti-evolution ideas are exclusively in the hands of fundamentalist theists who have creationist beliefs that are incompatible with evolution theory. That's why they ultimately are argue against it.

Even non-religious people question and argue against the theory....

Really?

Who?

Claiming that people have a religious agenda, is simply a strawman... and a fallacy itself.

Disagree.

This is why we see a "statement of faith" on practically ALL anti-evolution websites. Such websites also serve as creationist propaganda.

Again, I don't know of a single person who actively argues against evolution and who doesn't have any religious objections to the theory.

You are welcome to point one out........

As it stands, what are the famous anti-evolution organizations?

Off the top of my mind....
- Answers in Genesis
- the Discovery institute
- creation.com

All of them, are religious organizations with a "statement of faith" in which they affirm the bible.

Then there's also the likes of Harun Yahja, or whatever his name is again, who is just the muslim version of those people (and who seems to have copy-pasted their arguments as well, but just replaced "bible" with "quran" and "god" with "allah" everywhere).

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh no. You don’t accept Big Bang cosmology either.
Do you want to explain why I must accept theories. Is it because most scientists accept them?
Why do I need to accept theories because most scientists accept them?

Don’t tell me now that you believe the Universe is a few thousands years old, while still stating science and scriptures agree.
I don't know how old the universe is, and I already said I don't believe it's a few thousand years old. Don't tell me you are getting Alzheimer disease. I wouldn't want that.
Oh. I forgot, Septics on RF like to hear you repeat yourself. Maybe they feel the more one repeats themselves, they will evolve to a skeptic. :eek:

By the way, do you think common sense is useful for things like quantum mechanics or relativity?
I understand that scientists need to use common sense. When one stops using common sense, then they cannot use reason.
You are probably trying to suggest that if the strange and unexpected, is what is evident, then we must accept that, rather than try to reason otherwise.
However, that's still using common sense.
One can also use common sense to make sure they don't forget that they are human, and subject to failure and misunderstandings.

Remember, our brain evolved for survival and not to have a common sense for things not related to it.

Ciao

- viole
How can I remember something I don't believe. Is this a brainwashing technique? :eek:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Do you want to explain why I must accept theories. Is it because most scientists accept them?
Why do I need to accept theories because most scientists accept them?

Of course not. But have you studied them? If not, then you have no excuse, I am afraid.

So, I agree with you that they do not have necessarily a religious agenda. They might simply be totally ignorant about the subject.

I don't know how old the universe is, and I already said I don't believe it's a few thousand years old. Don't tell me you are getting Alzheimer disease. I wouldn't want that.
Oh. I forgot, Septics on RF like to hear you repeat yourself. Maybe they feel the more one repeats themselves, they will evolve to a skeptic. :eek:

So, how old is the Universe according to your deep knowledge of cosmology? I assume you don’t rely on bronze age books to evaluate that. It would be vastly worse than Alzheimer, if you did.

So, what do you reckon?

I understand that scientists need to use common sense. When one stops using common sense, then they cannot use reason.
You are probably trying to suggest that if the strange and unexpected, is what is evident, then we must accept that, rather than try to reason otherwise.
However, that's still using common sense.
One can also use common sense to make sure they don't forget that they are human, and subject to failure and misunderstandings.

You understand wrong, and that is probably because you have no clue of science, despite having the arrogance to dismiss the parts that do not agree with your bronze age book. It would be like me dismissing the history of medieval chinese theater, knowing that I totally ignore it.

QM, for instance, is the most successful theory we have in terms of experimental precision and prediction. Alas, it behaves totally against our common sense. Or do you think otherwise?

How can I remember something I don't believe. Is this a brainwashing technique? :eek:

I remember Jesus and Apollo, so what is the problem?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Which discussion are you referring to?
Certainly possible that I simply forgot about it and that your notification of a reply got lost in the long list of other notifications. Usually I actively try to not just leave conversations. But sometimes, I don't come to the forums for a few days and I won't rule out that I might have missed a post or two during one of such intervals.
The thread is here.

Who are you talking about? And what claim?

Because they always make it about their religion in the end.
As said, when "debating" a creationist, it's only a matter of time before they are put into a corner after which the religious gloves come on.

I'm an atheist. I don't have religious beliefs.
re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; More
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"
Atheist are not free from faith, belief system, or religion.
To think otherwise, is also a fallacy.

What question?
I honestly have no idea what you are referring to....

Because they feel a need to spread their religious beliefs, I'ld guess.

Why can't that be the case?
Obviously, creationists will find creationism and their fundamentalist religious beliefs a "reasonable basis". Obviously, I don't agree at all.
The same applies to Atheist, and unbelievers.

Obviously, it is. If it weren't, there'ld be many secular / atheist biologists arguing against evolution as well. But that just doesn't happen.

The anti-evolution ideas are exclusively in the hands of fundamentalist theists who have creationist beliefs that are incompatible with evolution theory. That's why they ultimately are argue against it.

Really?

Who?
You probably are not aware that people have doubts, and they discuss these before making up their mind to choose an alternative, to what they have doubts about.
If you don't know that, don't bother about it.

Disagree.

This is why we see a "statement of faith" on practically ALL anti-evolution websites. Such websites also serve as creationist propaganda.

Again, I don't know of a single person who actively argues against evolution and who doesn't have any religious objections to the theory.

You are welcome to point one out........
Antony Garrard Newton Flew (/fluː/; 11 February 1923 – 8 April 2010) was an English philosopher. Belonging to the analytic and evidentialist schools of thought, Flew was most notable for his work related to the philosophy of religion. During the course of his career he taught at the universities of Oxford, Aberdeen, Keele and Reading, and at York University in Toronto.

For much of his career Flew was known as a strong advocate of atheism, arguing that one should presuppose atheism until empirical evidence of a God surfaces. He also criticised the idea of life after death, the free will defence to the problem of evil,[4]and the meaningfulness of the concept of God. In 2003 he was one of the signatories of the Humanist Manifesto III.

However, in 2004 he changed his position, and stated that he now believed in the existence of an Intelligent Creator of the universe, shocking his fellow colleagues and atheists.

As it stands, what are the famous anti-evolution organizations?

Off the top of my mind....
- Answers in Genesis
- the Discovery institute
- creation.com

All of them, are religious organizations with a "statement of faith" in which they affirm the bible.

Then there's also the likes of Harun Yahja, or whatever his name is again, who is just the muslim version of those people (and who seems to have copy-pasted their arguments as well, but just replaced "bible" with "quran" and "god" with "allah" everywhere).
There is only one truth, and many claims to that truth.
It is no surprise that those claiming to hold that truth will stand by it.
Some who feel they have truth, want everyone to let go of 'their claim to truth', while others are content to allow others to make their choice to hold to what they claim is truth.
No nose bleeds.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Of course not. But have you studied them? If not, then you have no excuse, I am afraid.

So, I agree with you that they do not have necessarily a religious agenda. They might simply be totally ignorant about the subject.
Yes.
Please don't assume what you think you know of others.
These guys study more than any layman.
A new paper, inspired by alternative explanations of the physics of black holes, explores the latter possibility, and rejects a core tenet of the Big Bang hypothesis.
...there were a number of serious alternatives [to the Big Bang hypothesis] considered for decades, throughout the 20th century, a scientific consensus emerged more than 50 years ago with the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Despite many attempts to revive a variety of the discredited ideas, as well as attempts to formulate new possibilities...
Are they ignorant as well.
Oh wait. No they are just stubborn religious fanatics. Riiiight.

Don't go there. Already your bias is shinning like a fluorescent bulb, in a sealed coffin.

So, how old is the Universe according to your deep knowledge of cosmology? I assume you don’t rely on bronze age books to evaluate that. It would be vastly worse than Alzheimer, if you did.

So, what do you reckon?
My "deep knowledge of cosmology".
Oh sorry to disagree with your established truth. Pardon my presumptuousness.

A little over thirty years ago, when the universe was about 15 billion years old, were you clobbering someone over the head too. I hope none of them came up to you 35 years later, and laughed in your face.
Perhaps 30 years from now, we will be alive.
I won't laugh in you face either, but I may not hide the :smirk:
You do cause me to marvel.

You understand wrong, and that is probably because you have no clue of science, despite having the arrogance to dismiss the parts that do not agree with your bronze age book. It would be like me dismissing the history of medieval chinese theater, knowing that I totally ignore it.

QM, for instance, is the most successful theory we have in terms of experimental precision and prediction. Alas, it behaves totally against our common sense. Or do you think otherwise?

I remember Jesus and Apollo, so what is the problem?

Ciao

- viole
What did I understand wrong? Oh, what you might have been suggesting. I beg your pardon. Was I wrong about common sense also? You would have to explain in what sense.[/QUOTE]

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes.
Please don't assume what you think you know of others.
These guys study more than any layman.
A new paper, inspired by alternative explanations of the physics of black holes, explores the latter possibility, and rejects a core tenet of the Big Bang hypothesis.
...there were a number of serious alternatives [to the Big Bang hypothesis] considered for decades, throughout the 20th century, a scientific consensus emerged more than 50 years ago with the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Despite many attempts to revive a variety of the discredited ideas, as well as attempts to formulate new possibilities...
Are they ignorant as well.
Oh wait. No they are just stubborn religious fanatics. Riiiight.

Don't go there. Already your bias is shinning like a fluorescent bulb, in a sealed coffin.

Who they? I am debating you, not they. The Internet is full of nonsense, including youtubes about the flat earth. Or do you prefer that I post hundreds of videos in support of the BB?

So, what is your education about the subject? That would also tell me how much you can judge the videos you post.

My "deep knowledge of cosmology".
Oh sorry to disagree with your established truth. Pardon my presumptuousness.

What is your knowledge about the subject? I need to set my parameters right for any further discussion.

You seem to be shy to tell me that.

A little over thirty years ago, when the universe was about 15 billion years old, were you clobbering someone over the head too. I hope none of them came up to you 35 years later, and laughed in your face.
Perhaps 30 years from now, we will be alive.
I won't laugh in you face either, but I may not hide the :smirk:
You do cause me to marvel.

You are “becoming” incoherent. What are you talking about?

And I am not sure it answers my question. How old is the Universe, in your opinion?

What did I understand wrong? Oh, what you might have been suggesting. I beg your pardon. Was I wrong about common sense also? You would have to explain in what sense.

I asked you if what can be considered our most successful theory agrees with our common sense.

What do you think about it?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

For those not familiar with nPeace, let me summarize what he means by 'good' and 'bad science. He will consider anything to be 'good science' if it happens to agree with his preconceived notions about how things should work. However, any science that in any way contradicts what his preconceived notions are about how things work, why then it's 'bad science'. And ironically, having a preconceived notion and accepting or rejecting the evidence based upon that preconceived notion is the very definition of 'bad science'.

Of course, no one should be surprised, since he has no experience as an actual scientist, yet he claims to know more about the scientific method than scientists who actually employ it on a daily basis.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Who they? I am debating you, not they. The Internet is full of nonsense, including youtubes about the flat earth. Or do you prefer that I post hundreds of videos in support of the BB?

So, what is your education about the subject? That would also tell me how much you can judge the videos you post.

What is your knowledge about the subject? I need to set my parameters right for any further discussion.

You seem to be shy to tell me that.

You are “becoming” incoherent. What are you talking about?

I asked you if what can be considered our most successful theory agrees with our common sense.

What do you think about it?

Ciao

- viole
You kinda lost me momentarily
Are you trying to take away @sayak83 opportunity? :)
Are you a scientist?

I will discuss with you what we are on currently.
You say you are debating me, so in that case, I think you need to understand what I am saying.

In the first place, the links I posted.. They are probably science journals, and the 'they' are scientists.
You claimed that the individuals who oppose the theory "might simply be totally ignorant about the subject". Thanks for using the word 'may'.
This is squarely in line with the point of the OP.

It is not only the average person on the street that disagree with these theories.
There are scientists who disagree, also.
That was the purpose of those two links I posted.
So if you are going to blame ignorance on the average person, then perhaps the scientists are ignorant as well?
No?
Then they must be religious.
So? Religious people accept the theory.
No, it can be religion, but I don't see why it has to be.
Because scientists have different opinions and ideas - They all come to the table with different propositions.
The one that seems to be the - in my own words :p - less problematic, becomes 'kingpin'.

So the way I see it,, it's not that anyone is ignorant (even though some persons know little), or religious (as many are).
At this point, I also want to specifically address @QuestioningMind who just posted his best opinion. It's about the fact that the limits of science forces it to use "the better explanation", or - in my own words :p - the best opinion.
If it were not an opinion, there is nothing that could replace it, and no one would say "scientists assumed", or "scientists asserted" etc.,

Again @QuestioningMind, if your opinion were true, then I would not even mention BB, and cosmology on a whole, because there is no conflict with my understanding of the Bible.
However, the other unfounded assumptions that are pseudoscience clearly do.
Just one of many articles - What Triggered the Big Bang? It's Complicated (Op-Ed)

What banged the Big Bang?
The bronze age book tells us. I believe it. I believe in creation. The word some hate to hear.

You said, sorry @viole I'm back to you, you behave as though one who does not agree with all science is denying truth, and therefore either ignorant, or according to Richard Dawkins the other things.
However, I think that works two ways. You see, I believe that it's simply blind faith driven by personal desire... may be fear too, that causes persons to think science is the sin parecido.

How can I describe that... It seems to me, that's far from the truth.
In the mid-1990s, observations of certain globular clusters appeared to indicate that they were about 15 billion years old

At that time, I'm quite sure that some would also have felt that anyone who did not accept this was ignorant of science, but I think it's the other way around. I think some forget what science is, and elevate it to a level it cannot reach. Then they claim they have no religion.

With regard to the video, In the OP, it really was not meant to be the focus, as I was more focused on the point that persons were changing their view based on the fact that there were things being presented in science as evidence... where they exist none.
Hypothetical seem to be the explanations for everything.

BB theory is considered by scientists, the best accepted idea for explaining some observed phenomenon in the universe, but to many, much of it seems to be pseudoscience.

For me, I don't see any of this as meaningful to me. See my thread here.
Whether the universe banged or blipped according to scientists, does not affect the fact that the universe exists, and will continue to exist, regardless of what scientists know, or don't know.
Whether the story told (I call it myth), is repeated a million times, does not change the facts about the universe with its billions of galaxies and heavenly bodies.
I don't see why any of these thing should mean anything to me. So you split the atom. So what? You smashed particles together. So what? How about smashing them at twice the speed, and see what happens.
I mean...:shrug: What has man really done?
I look at my life, and I see greater things than any scientists can achieve. These things are spiritual, and have so much meaning. What can replace true inner joy peace and happiness? When you can share that with others and experience their joy, there is nothing greater.
No scientists can accomplish that. Besides they are totally committed to naturalism.
Now tell me... give me one good reason why I need that. Just one.

If the destroy humanity, what's left... and they are not far from that.
Only if it were up to them, but I believe in an intelligent designer - a creator. You think it's an assumption. Well I believe it's a better assumption. Although, to me, it's not an assumption. There is mountains of evidence - to use your term - for it.

Where is all the good use being put to so much knowledge. I don't see it.
I could go on, but then you would not read such a long post. So I'll stop at this point.
Do you want to talk about other things? Inflation?
Inflation (cosmology) - Wikipedia
The inflationary epoch lasted from 10−36 seconds after the conjectured Big Bang singularity to some time between 10−33 and 10−32 seconds after the singularity. Following the inflationary period, the universe continues to expand, but at a less rapid rate.

They even admit, the Big Bang singularity is an opinion. Obviously. How could they know there was a singularity? How could they know the rate of speed of the expansion throughout time?
It's all conjecture.
Okay. I'm done. (Too much to spell check)

gnostic

The Lost One
@nPeace

Is this thread about debating whether Evolution or the Big Bang theory are true as science?

Or is this topic really about bashing atheism and atheists?

Because -

(A) you seemed to be forgetting that Charles Darwin was once a theist and Christian, and only became an agnostic after around a decade after writing On Origin of Species (1859).
Agnosticism was only coined by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869, to express his view on religion. And in one of his (Darwin’s) letters, he openly admitted he was leaning towards agnosticism, but he also denied ever being an atheist.
Second, his works on Natural Selection actually began almost 30 years before On Origin, during his voyage aboard of HMS Beagle (1831-1836), when he explored South America and the Galápagos Islands.

(B) One of the 3 independent pioneers of the Expanding Universe hypothesis in the 1920s (before it was called the Big Bang hypothesis), the Belgian Georges Lemaître wrote Hypothesis of the Primeval Atom in 1927.
Lemaître was not only an theoretical astrophysicist, he was a Roman Catholic priest.
Most people remembered Lemaître who started the Big Bang theory, over the other two physicists:
  1. Alexander Friedmann (1922), a Russian physicist and mathematician. One of his most important students was George Gamow. It is Gamow who would be one of the physicists to predicted the Primordial Nucleosynthesis (or the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis or BBN) with Ralph Alpher, while Alpher working with Robert Herman to predict the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR), in 1948. Both BBN & CMBR would not be discovered until 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson. The discovery was accidental, but it would be the most important evidence that validated the Big Bang hypothesis officially as a “Scientific Theory”, while debunking Steady State model, a rival hypothesis to the BB, written in 1949 by Fred Hoyle.
  2. And Howard Percy Robertson (1924-25), an American physicist and mathematician, who predicted that the redshift in observing the galaxies as moving away from each other would be evidence to the universe expanding. This prediction would be discovered by Edwin Hubble in 1929.
My points about the pioneers of both the BB and Evolution, is that Lemaître and Darwin weren’t atheists.

Darwin was a Christian and agnostic, while Lemaître was a Catholic priest.

And more importantly, in Darwin’s days, the early acceptance of Evolution by biologists were majority were Christians.

And in Lemaître’s time, the biggest follower of the Big Bang model was the Catholic Church, particularly Pope Pius XII in the early 1950s.

In any case, neither Evolution, nor the Big Bang theory, had anything to do with theism and atheism.

Your OP attacked atheism and atheists because you think mistakenly these science have to do with atheism, only demonstrated you are using an argument of false equivalence.

If you have read modern mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology textbooks, you would see that every fields and subfields make no mention of God or gods. And yet you singled out Evolution and Big Bang.

When you read about thermodynamics, electromagnetic fields, optics, nuclear physics, quantum physics, etc, which never mentioned god in respective fields, why have attack these as being support for atheism?

Why this double standard?

Your OP not only revealed your bias, that there are theists who accept both Evolution and the Big Bang theory, but also your ignorance of not understanding either theories were contributed by some theists, and by your deception, when you use logical fallacies in your arguments and in your replies.

QuestioningMind

You kinda lost me momentarily
Are you trying to take away @sayak83 opportunity? :)
Are you a scientist?

I will discuss with you what we are on currently.
You say you are debating me, so in that case, I think you need to understand what I am saying.

In the first place, the links I posted.. They are probably science journals, and the 'they' are scientists.
You claimed that the individuals who oppose the theory "might simply be totally ignorant about the subject". Thanks for using the word 'may'.
This is squarely in line with the point of the OP.

It is not only the average person on the street that disagree with these theories.
There are scientists who disagree, also.
That was the purpose of those two links I posted.
So if you are going to blame ignorance on the average person, then perhaps the scientists are ignorant as well?
No?
Then they must be religious.
So? Religious people accept the theory.
No, it can be religion, but I don't see why it has to be.
Because scientists have different opinions and ideas - They all come to the table with different propositions.
The one that seems to be the - in my own words :p - less problematic, becomes 'kingpin'.

So the way I see it,, it's not that anyone is ignorant (even though some persons know little), or religious (as many are).
At this point, I also want to specifically address @QuestioningMind who just posted his best opinion. It's about the fact that the limits of science forces it to use "the better explanation", or - in my own words :p - the best opinion.
If it were not an opinion, there is nothing that could replace it, and no one would say "scientists assumed", or "scientists asserted" etc.,

Again @QuestioningMind, if your opinion were true, then I would not even mention BB, and cosmology on a whole, because there is no conflict with my understanding of the Bible.
However, the other unfounded assumptions that are pseudoscience clearly do.
Just one of many articles - What Triggered the Big Bang? It's Complicated (Op-Ed)

What banged the Big Bang?
The bronze age book tells us. I believe it. I believe in creation. The word some hate to hear.

You said, sorry @viole I'm back to you, you behave as though one who does not agree with all science is denying truth, and therefore either ignorant, or according to Richard Dawkins the other things.
However, I think that works two ways. You see, I believe that it's simply blind faith driven by personal desire... may be fear too, that causes persons to think science is the sin parecido.

How can I describe that... It seems to me, that's far from the truth.
In the mid-1990s, observations of certain globular clusters appeared to indicate that they were about 15 billion years old

At that time, I'm quite sure that some would also have felt that anyone who did not accept this was ignorant of science, but I think it's the other way around. I think some forget what science is, and elevate it to a level it cannot reach. Then they claim they have no religion.

With regard to the video, In the OP, it really was not meant to be the focus, as I was more focused on the point that persons were changing their view based on the fact that there were things being presented in science as evidence... where they exist none.
Hypothetical seem to be the explanations for everything.

BB theory is considered by scientists, the best accepted idea for explaining some observed phenomenon in the universe, but to many, much of it seems to be pseudoscience.

For me, I don't see any of this as meaningful to me. See my thread here.
Whether the universe banged or blipped according to scientists, does not affect the fact that the universe exists, and will continue to exist, regardless of what scientists know, or don't know.
Whether the story told (I call it myth), is repeated a million times, does not change the facts about the universe with its billions of galaxies and heavenly bodies.
I don't see why any of these thing should mean anything to me. So you split the atom. So what? You smashed particles together. So what? How about smashing them at twice the speed, and see what happens.
I mean...:shrug: What has man really done?
I look at my life, and I see greater things than any scientists can achieve. These things are spiritual, and have so much meaning. What can replace true inner joy peace and happiness? When you can share that with others and experience their joy, there is nothing greater.
No scientists can accomplish that. Besides they are totally committed to naturalism.
Now tell me... give me one good reason why I need that. Just one.

If the destroy humanity, what's left... and they are not far from that.
Only if it were up to them, but I believe in an intelligent designer - a creator. You think it's an assumption. Well I believe it's a better assumption. Although, to me, it's not an assumption. There is mountains of evidence - to use your term - for it.

Where is all the good use being put to so much knowledge. I don't see it.
I could go on, but then you would not read such a long post. So I'll stop at this point.
Do you want to talk about other things? Inflation?
Inflation (cosmology) - Wikipedia
The inflationary epoch lasted from 10−36 seconds after the conjectured Big Bang singularity to some time between 10−33 and 10−32 seconds after the singularity. Following the inflationary period, the universe continues to expand, but at a less rapid rate.

They even admit, the Big Bang singularity is an opinion. Obviously. How could they know there was a singularity? How could they know the rate of speed of the expansion throughout time?
It's all conjecture.
Okay. I'm done. (Too much to spell check)

The only evidence I need to know that my opinion is true is to be aware that in a previous OP you foolishly and continually tried to argue that there was no conflict between the bibles' account of a global flood and established geological science.

Nuf said.

siti

Claiming that people claim that people have a religious agenda when those people don't claim that people claim that people have a religious agenda is a straw man. I think. :D

Anyway, for the record, I believe there is plenty of evidence for the BB and evolution and I don't believe that religious people refuse to see the evidence because they have a religious agenda, I believe they don't see it because they are blind fools who would not recognize a genuine piece of evidence if one jumped up and punched them on the nose...and there is no purpose in arguing with such people except for gratuitous discussion forum entertainment purposes.

nPeace

Veteran Member
@nPeace

Is this thread about debating whether Evolution or the Big Bang theory are true as science?

Because -

(A) you seemed to be forgetting that Charles Darwin was once a theist and Christian, and only became an agnostic after around a decade after writing On Origin of Species (1859).
Agnosticism was only coined by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869, to express his view on religion. And in one of his (Darwin’s) letters, he openly admitted he was leaning towards agnosticism, but he also denied ever being an atheist.
Second, his works on Natural Selection actually began almost 30 years before On Origin, during his voyage aboard of HMS Beagle (1831-1836), when he explored South America and the Galápagos Islands.

(B) One of the 3 independent pioneers of the Expanding Universe hypothesis in the 1920s (before it was called the Big Bang hypothesis), the Belgian Georges Lemaître wrote Hypothesis of the Primeval Atom in 1927.
Lemaître was not only an theoretical astrophysicist, he was a Roman Catholic priest.
Most people remembered Lemaître who started the Big Bang theory, over the other two physicists:
  1. Alexander Friedmann (1922), a Russian physicist and mathematician. One of his most important students was George Gamow. It is Gamow who would be one of the physicists to predicted the Primordial Nucleosynthesis (or the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis or BBN) with Ralph Alpher, while Alpher working with Robert Herman to predict the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR), in 1948. Both BBN & CMBR would not be discovered until 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson. The discovery was accidental, but it would be the most important evidence that validated the Big Bang hypothesis officially as a “Scientific Theory”, while debunking Steady State model, a rival hypothesis to the BB, written in 1949 by Fred Hoyle.
  2. And Howard Percy Robertson (1924-25), an American physicist and mathematician, who predicted that the redshift in observing the galaxies as moving away from each other would be evidence to the universe expanding. This prediction would be discovered by Edwin Hubble in 1929.
My points about the pioneers of both the BB and Evolution, is that Lemaître and Darwin weren’t atheists.

Darwin was a Christian and agnostic, while Lemaître was a Catholic priest.

And more importantly, in Darwin’s days, the early acceptance of Evolution by biologists were majority were Christians.

And in Lemaître’s time, the biggest follower of the Big Bang model was the Catholic Church, particularly Pope Pius XII in the early 1950s.

In any case, neither Evolution, nor the Big Bang theory, had anything to do with theism and atheism.

Your OP attacked atheism and atheists because you think mistakenly these science have to do with atheism, only demonstrated you are using an argument of false equivalence.

If you have read modern mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology textbooks, you would see that every fields and subfields make no mention of God or gods. And yet you singled out Evolution and Big Bang.

When you read about thermodynamics, electromagnetic fields, optics, nuclear physics, quantum physics, etc, which never mentioned god in respective fields, why have attack these as being support for atheism?

Why this double standard?

Your OP not only revealed your bias, that there are theists who accept both Evolution and the Big Bang theory, but also your ignorance of not understanding either theories were contributed by some theists, and by your deception, when you use logical fallacies in your arguments and in your replies.
Here it comes...
your ignorance of not understanding
ROFL
animated-smileys-laughing-010.gif

To be honest, your post does not seem to belong on this thread.
For one thing, you seem ignorant as to anything I said. It's actually as though you read nothing here. You even seem to admit that

So it seems more like you just had an ax to grind.
Now that you have released some steam...:)

It is obvious my post is not in any way bashing Atheist. That can be seen from the get-go.
It is also obvious that I am well aware that many scientists are theist. Oh dear! I said it.
I think you should take time to understand the thread, and then post.

Unless of course, you are here to do some bashing yourself.
In that case... Are you done?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
On these forums, the usual claim of most Atheist and believers in scientific myths and fairytale stories,
"scientific myths and fairytales"? An obvious indication of an agenda.

is that the reason people don't believe those cosmology and evolution stories, is because of a religious agenda.
You started off by providing the first evidence to support that view.

However, the evidence says otherwise.
An obvious falsehood based on the evidence immediately provided. Your evidence says, agenda.

The truth is, people who do not suppress common sense, for a belief system,
Designed to establish the religious agenda as common sense. Again, part of the religious agenda. The common sense of creationists has not been established. I do not see it as common or having that much sense.

Obviously, as a Christian, I do not reject the belief in creation by God, but it is how that belief is used and the specific claims made about it that are flawed. You seem to view your own version as a universal truth that is superior to the view of all including other Christians with different views.

reject what is obviously bad science, or actually, no science at all.
A claim based on a religious belief with no evidence to support it at all. An opinion and not a very sensible or rational one given the evidence that is available in any science textbook.
Once again, a very large claim with nothing to support it. The reasons for conversion are many and among the lists I found using YOUR search criteria, nothing was mentioned about science.

I did the search and the lists that I found were not that large and did not list science or bad science as the cause of any of the conversions. There was no single view that was magnetizing the majority of converts and it covered the gamut from simple deism, general theism, and spiritualism to Hinduism, Catholicism, the Quaker faith and a variety of others including undeclared. You like to make a lot of general statements that do not hold water.
Meaningless and unsupported. Considering the mix I have seen, not even a useful adjective to describe the numbers and the specific faith. More of your empty hyperbole.

An hour long video offered for the sole purpose of overwhelming the audience with a time consuming message that most will not have the opportunity to view, so anything that you wish can be said about it with impunity. I doubt seriously, that you understand that much about the claims and descriptions that overlap science in an effort to put a religious view in place by default.

Bad science is the effort that you are making. You have your agenda and attempting to fit the evidence to that agenda, while ignoring or discrediting any science that you cannot force into your agenda.

Certainly. Out of the ashes of this thread of bad and false ideas that you extol, there may come some knowledge and wisdom as well as recognition of some of the means that creationists use to forward their agenda.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Here it comes...
your ignorance of not understanding
ROFL
animated-smileys-laughing-010.gif

To be honest,
It would have been nice if you had started off on that foot, but I think it is a little late for that now, even as a facade.

your post does not seem to belong on this thread.
Too much honesty for you?
For one thing, you seem ignorant as to anything I said. It's actually as though you read nothing here. You even seem to admit that
It is about establishing a false story about science. creating the false dichotomy of good science and bad science, where bad science is any science that conflicts or contradicts your beliefs, and it is about bashing atheism, atheists, agnostics, other religions and other Christians. Isn't that what all your posts are about?

So it seems more like you just had an ax to grind.
That does not mean the grinding does not need to be done, and, since your opinion has little merit, probably not even accurate.
Now that you have released some steam...:)
[/QUOTE]Is there some compelling reason that many of you creationists must use emojis like a crutch and litter every post with them? They all seem like some arrogant hand waving in place of intellectual effort.

It is obvious my post is not in any way bashing Atheist. That can be seen from the get-go.
Except to all atheists and non-JW theists that you have been bashing from the get-go.

It is also obvious that I am well aware that many scientists are theist. Oh dear! I said it.
Do you consider this the proper attitude to address everyone that dissents from your views or points out a fact that you seem oblivious to?

I think you should take time to understand the thread, and then post.
From reading his post and the posts of others responding to you, understanding of this thread by others is universal in the context.

Unless of course, you are here to do some bashing yourself.
In that case... Are you done?
And you close by bashing him and insulting him.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There is no such thing as bad science.

There is discovery through accident however.

No science could apply toward any theist who says there's a God, simply because there's nothing there for science to even work with.
There are two types of 'bad science' here. One is the actual bad science, where the evidence is selectively gathered or excluded in an effort to forcibly support a preconceived idea. This is the real bad science.

The second is an attempt to establish any science that conflicts with a creationist/literalist position, as bad science.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot fathom why courtesy is even a consideration for you. Except, as here, to use in order to berate someone that you cannot address civilly and on point.

You have described yourself to a tee, except it is you that is confronted by mountains of evidence.

It seems a core issue for you. It bothers you greatly and you mention it constantly.

What religious beliefs? Science is not a religion or a religious belief. You have already established, and with much condescension, that you recognize some theists are scientists. If science is accepted and practiced by theists and atheists, it hardly makes sense that it is a religion. Remember that common sense you mentioned. Note how it is lacking your claims.

I asked that question many times when you responded to my posts. I ask it now, while you establish your not religion, religious agenda.

People with a religious belief are willing to stand up and debate the evolutionists.[/QUOTE]Debate what? Not the science, which is the only point of debating evolution, since it is not a religious position and does not prevent people from believing in God or whatever deity or religion they choose.

Why is that?
Because it comes down to belief against physical reality and the sound, logical method of understanding that physical reality.

Certainly, it can't be that they don't have a reasonable basis for doing so. It's not about religion obviously.
You can keep repeating it, but I do not think anyone is buying it. Your religious agenda is obvious.

Even non-religious people question and argue against the theory.... and in fact, as I pointed out, some even change their view about it, because of the lack of evidence.
This is hardly a revelation and does not say what you are implying. Scientists, religious or atheist argue about the details of the theory. They change their views on those details. They discuss new ideas and findings. Sometimes these are accepted and sometimes they are rejected. The theory still stands and not because they believed it away or believed it into being.

Clearly, rather than seeing a mountain, they see a valley - actually more like a deep trench, or gully.
Random noise that says nothing.

It is an honest, objective and well-supported position that you continually provide more evidence for support.