• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The good atheist

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am beginning to wonder if you are having difficulties with comprehension, Tb.
Your #138 fails because it is irrational. And it makes no sense because it is irrational.
Y cannot say that she knows that X has not found the answer.
Therefore Y cannot say that X has not found the one true God.

Y cannot say either one of those things because Y does not know hat X has found.
That is perfectly rational.

samtonga43

Y cannot say that she knows that X has not found the answer.

Absolutely true.
Y cannot say that she knows that X has not found the answer
Just as X cannot say that she knows that she has found the answer.

That was a bit like pulling teeth, but you got there at last. :cool:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If the atheist didn't do any sin at all in his/her life. Why would they not be granted a place in heaven?

Because the Abrahamic god of Christianity and Islam doesn't care one bit about behavior.
He only cares how gullible you are.

The first requirement is if you believe the right things on bad evidence.

Such a god rewards gullibility and punishes rationality, while ignoring actual behavior.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You, of course are entitled to believe what you like, as long as you don't go around insulting people's beliefs.

That would be a two way street then.
What if your preaching insults my belief?
That's ok?

It's also very problematic in terms of how do you measure that?
Many times, theists feel their beliefs are insulted while in reality they are simply being questioned.

If I say that I don't think god exist or that gods have no role in the workings of the universe, am I then insulting your beliefs?

When a I draw a picture of what I think mohammed looked like, am I then insulting your beliefs?

If the secular democracy you live in implements gay marriage, does that insult your beliefs?

I don't know about you, but I have my share of experiences with theists who would agree to all of these.

Sometimes, people just feel insulted by whatever while what they felt insulted by wasn't meant as an insult at all.

I'll go a step further and state that I have the right to insult, ridicule, laugh with ANY belief or claim.
And that goes for everyone else also. My beliefs and claims aren't immune to it either.

Ridicule in fact is a very powerful tool to make a point clear, to learn, etc.
I don't see why I wouldn't get to have my opinion about a belief and be able to share it.

I think it's ridiculous.
Instead of telling everyone to go out of their way to accomodate for anyone's personal sensitivities, I'ld rather say to all: "grow some thicker skin...."

Funny isn't it.
It's alright to "knock" God, but not modern secular values. Pffft !

Where is it illegal to mock modern secular values?

muhammad_isa

I'll go a step further and state that I have the right to insult, ridicule, laugh with ANY belief or claim.

RF Mission
-----------------
As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Absolutely true.
Y cannot say that she knows that X has not found the answer
Just as X cannot say that she knows that she has found the answer.

That was a bit like pulling teeth, but you got there at last. :cool:
No, I did not get to where you are at.
X knows that she has found the answer.

samtonga43

No, I don't want to do it at all.
This does not surprise me. But you must understand that if you say 'know' instead of 'believe' (eg Tb knows that she has found the one true God), you are going to be asked some pertinent questions.
Do you understand the difference between knowing X is true and believing X is true?
Or maybe you think there is no difference?
Or maybe you use the word 'knowing' differently from other people?

Can you explain?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This does not surprise me. But you must understand that if you say 'know' instead of 'believe' (eg Tb knows that she has found the one true God), you are going to be asked some pertinent questions.
Do you understand the difference between knowing X is true and believing X is true?
Or maybe you think there is no difference?
Or maybe you use the word 'knowing' differently from other people?

Can you explain?
Of course I know I am going to be asked some pertinent questions. I have been asked these questions over and over again.

I also know the difference between the definitions of believe and know, although there is some overlap.
I accept as true (believe) that I have found the one true God and I know that I have found the one true God in the sense of 2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of. Please note that the definition says truth or factuality of. I am aware of the truth of, not the factuality of, my belief in the one true God. All knowledge is not factual knowledge. That is only one type of knowledge.

Believe

1. accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.
"the superintendent believed Lancaster's story"

2. hold (something) as an opinion; think or suppose.
"I believe we've already met"

believe means - Google Search

Definition of know

1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself(3): to recognize the nature of : discern b(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write

Definition of KNOW

Goldemar

A queer sort
Can you give me a good reason why an Atheist who never did anything wrong in life, who was a good person, helping everyone else first, before helping him/her self.
Who gave his/her money to the homeless so they could gain a better life.
Who even gave their own life selflessly to save someone else

Would not be seen by God and taken in to heaven when he/she died.

I believe that it is freedom from attachment to the physical body and material world and its things that is required before one can get to heaven, rather than good works. So the atheist that you describe won't necessarily get to heaven, but neither will the believer of any other faith (unless they free themselves from attachment to the material world).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe that it is freedom from attachment to the physical body and material world and its things that is required before one can get to heaven, rather than good works. So the atheist that you describe won't necessarily get to heaven, but neither will the believer of any other faith (unless they free themselves from attachment to the material world).
I believe the same thing but 'maybe' for a different reason.

I believe that if a person dies and is still attached to the physical body and material world and its things, they will be in hell, since that is what hell is. So when a person dies and realizes they no longer have a physical body for pleasure (food, drink, sex) and they realize that they no longer have a material world and its things that they enjoy so much, they will be in hell, which is a state of the soul that lives for physical pleasures and everything else that the material world has to offer.

I believe that hell is failing in our allegiance to God and instead becoming a victim to self and passion and sinking in their depths.

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 158-159

Goldemar

A queer sort
I believe the same thing but 'maybe' for a different reason.

I believe that if a person dies and is still attached to the physical body and material world and its things, they will be in hell, since that is what hell is. So when a person dies and realizes they no longer have a physical body for pleasure (food, drink, sex) and they realize that they no longer have a material world and its things that they enjoy so much, they will be in hell, which is a state of the soul that lives for physical pleasures and everything else that the material world has to offer.

I believe that hell is failing in our allegiance to God and instead becoming a victim to self and passion and sinking in their depths.

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 158-159

Do you believe this hell to be eternal/permanent?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you believe this hell to be eternal/permanent?
No, not necessarily. I believe our existence and everything we have or ever will have is dependent upon the mercy of God and His bounty, and therefore God can accept into His heaven, which is really nearness to Him, anyone He pleases. We always have the hope of receiving His mercy if we reach out for it. I also believe that people can pray for other souls and help them advance.

On the other hand, if those souls do not want to be near God, and they remain attached to the things of this material world after they die, I think they might get stuck in hell forever.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
RF Mission
-----------------
As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another.

One doesn't rule out the other.