• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The future of Hinduism in America

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wouldn't know. I've never read the Gita. :)

Its not part of my scriptural repertoire. Most temples here in America, probably around 70% are North Indian Sanatan style, which is basically an extension of Sankara's Smartha Sampradaya. They're often called Vedic temples or Vedic societies too. There are also Shakta temples, South Indian Smarta temples, Saiva temples, and lots of 'Guru' temples like all the Sai centers.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Here is my opinion.

1.) I think that as time goes on, peoples spirituality will change. I think most people will drop religion altogether, become more abstract with their sprituality (Deism, New Age, Panentheism, etc.) or will adopt eastern thought. This may or may not cause a huge increase in Hinduism, as the ratio for what people adopt may be incredibly uneven (ie, more people may become atheists, rather than Hindu).

2.) More immigrants form India will come over and bring their religion. However, this also may or may not have a huge effect, because said immigrints could very well drop their religion after arriving or will have children who will not practice.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agnostic, I wholeheartedly agree with 2. Many immigrant kids do drop the faith, but some rediscover it too, when kids come along. I think for many of the immigrants, the building of temples is nothing more than nostalgia. Just like the 'old country' term used bu pioneers in America. There is nostalgia for the old way, but not much real committed dedication to the faith. Really dedicated people usually stay in the mother countries.

Yes sanatana dharma will evolve, it is already. Although the terms nay be dropped ('religion' is one such term, it brings up a negative mindset) the essence can't change, as its eternal. There may be new ways to approach it, but it'll still be there.

atanu

Premium Member
Agnostic, I wholeheartedly agree with 2. Many immigrant kids do drop the faith, but some rediscover it too, when kids come along. I think for many of the immigrants, the building of temples is nothing more than nostalgia. Just like the 'old country' term used bu pioneers in America. There is nostalgia for the old way, but not much real committed dedication to the faith. Really dedicated people usually stay in the mother countries.

Yes sanatana dharma will evolve, it is already. Although the terms nay be dropped ('religion' is one such term, it brings up a negative mindset) the essence can't change, as its eternal. There may be new ways to approach it, but it'll still be there.

Yes. Anything that begins must also end. What is without beginning will endure.

However, today I had an experience of Rudra abhishekam. I marvel at the proficiency of brahmins from Kashi or from Kanchi. Although, I am an optimist that the Vedic mantras which have endured merely through verbal remembrance for kalpas will endure. But i am also somewhat apprehensive that this beautiful knowledge of true Vedic pandits must not get lost.

It is my egoistic concern, possibly.:)

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
But i am also somewhat apprehensive that this beautiful knowledge of true Vedic pandits must not get lost.
Vedas are never lost, they just appears and disappears from the common world of us. There are more than 12000 enlightened rishis who still practice VEdas. They are hidden from the rest world through their yoga maya. :D

atanu

Premium Member
Vedas are never lost, they just appears and disappears from the common world of us. There are more than 12000 enlightened rishis who still practice VEdas. They are hidden from the rest world through their yoga maya. :D

Excellent Sumit. :)

Vedas are never lost, they just appears and disappears from the common world of us.

It is only the literary incarnation of Godhead that re-establishes or re-generates the link. As Vyasa did.

There are more than 12000 enlightened rishis who still practice VEdas.

What is the benefit to the world that these rishis are contributing?
Is there a scriptural reference to their purpose?

They are hidden from the rest world through their yoga maya.

"Their Yoga maya"?

Only Godhead is defined as the fountainhead of His 'yoga-maya'. So how can rishis be ascribed as having 'Their Yoga maya'? Are you refering to their mystic yoga powers ('siddhis')? Otherwise "practice VEdas" would imply that the ultimate purpose is to become a "rishi that possesses Yoga maya as their own", which is not injoined in the vedas. You can be 'all you can be' with the lessons of the vedas, but Godhood is not an available vacancy. Indra and the Manus' seats may be occasionally vacated but their are many upcoming canidates already inline for their next promotions. Ishvara purusha bhagavan is singular Godhead.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
It is only the literary incarnation of Godhead that re-establishes or re-generates the link.
God never incarnates. God only maintains Universe and for that god did not need to come to earth.

Is there a scriptural reference to their purpose?
I never said that I am going to prove that. There may be scriptural description but you have to search ;)

What is the benefit to the world that these rishis are contributing?

"Their Yoga maya"?
you may be familiar with yoga. Maya means "power", however some people refer maya as illusion but it means power here, this is the process through which these rishis hides from modern world. It's due to them that yugas changes and we see some great humans taking birth to serve vedic dharma. They maintain balance in earth. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are more than 12000 enlightened rishis who still practice VEdas. :D

Just curious. I do know there are yogis in caves, and realised souls not currently in bodies who are helping, but do you have a source for this information, or is it just hearsay?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Just curious. I do know there are yogis in caves, and realised souls not currently in bodies who are helping, but do you have a source for this information, or is it just hearsay?
This is a very big topic. However I will give you a little info. If we go through Ramayana and Mabharata. We find some sages common in both. Let's take the example of Prashurama, we can see the role of Prashurama in both Ramayana and Mahabharata and he is said to be the Guru of hero of kaliyuga described in puranas by name "Kalki". Also if we read Narada purana, all rishis were discussing in same place. It's description is also found in Agni purana we find the reference of a such place. Also I went through tantric texts, they also hints such place.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you. Pretty much what I figured. No modern documentation, from the Puranas and such. That isn't to say I don't believe it.

Regardless of whther or not that is true, the information is resident within every person at the core of their being, just waiting to be rediscovered. It may come out in a different time, different language, but it will be the same. Water is always water.

fenrisx

American Hinduism is destined, I believe, to take on an identity of its own, distinct from Indian Hinduism; much in the same way as Chinese and Japanese Buddhism are distinct from each other, and both are very distinct from Indian Buddhism.

Hinduism is a world religion. It's only got a little longer to go before it fully breaks free of geographical and cultural restraints.

good point, other religions like buddhism come to the US and take on an American flavor, its likely naive to think it would be the same as it was in the so called old world. America is a melting pot but not without side effects, from my own experience, Sufism is New England has a very New Englandish flavor to it, I dont see that as a bad thing. Why would a diverse religion like Hinduism be any different?

Last edited:
Thank you. Pretty much what I figured. No modern documentation, from the Puranas and such. That isn't to say I don't believe it.

I don't know what are the two sides being discussed here.
What modern documentation? Was it requested? What is modern documentation?

Regardless of whther or not that is true,

What is true? I'm lost.
Histories of Rishis gathered to do yajna?

the information is resident within every person at the core of their being, just waiting to be rediscovered. It may come out in a different time, different language, but it will be the same. Water is always water.

The Vedas are resident within every person's core?

The soul is 'anu'. Tiny. The soul is a tiny fragment of consciousness.

The promise of the hindu vedas is devotion and all its good qualities to influence other faith's devotion too.

IMO the hindu traditions and the hindu scriptures are not about attaining Godhood.

I have never encountered that moksha is equal to attaining the status of a God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is a very big topic. However I will give you a little info. If we go through Ramayana and Mabharata. We find some sages common in both. Let's take the example of Prashurama, we can see the role of Prashurama in both Ramayana and Mahabharata and he is said to be the Guru of hero of kaliyuga described in puranas by name "Kalki". Also if we read Narada purana, all rishis were discussing in same place. It's description is also found in Agni purana we find the reference of a such place. Also I went through tantric texts, they also hints such place.

The Ramayana and Mahabharata are debated by scholars as to whether they are literal or metaphorical. The Kalki avatar is a Vaishnava Hindu concept. Interestingly, according to Wiki (not the most reliable source) several claims have been made to Kalki's arrival already, usually by various Gurus making that claim, but also by Bahai and Amadhiyas. Personally, since I'm not a Vaishnava Hindu, I don't believe in Kalki avatar in avatars at all.

But this is all derailing the thread. As for the future in America, I just hope it sticks around. I might be reborn here. Right now it has all the Indian versions as well as several new Americanised versions. So one thing is sure ... our diversity is only increasing.

I seek no debate. I am replying cause this caught my attention

God never incarnates. God only maintains Universe and for that god did not need to come to earth.

In hindu epistemology Vishu is the maintainer and Vishnu incarnates all the time.
In hindu epistemology the sanskrit word 'Avatar' means incarnation of God. That is all I know.

I never said that I am going to prove that. There may be scriptural description but you have to search

I did not direct a challage to you. It is customary to show the origin of Scriptural injunctions when citing them (instead of paraphrasing from memory). That is custom in India when pundits explain scripture.

I assume it is described, so if you say it does, okay, where? That is all I'm asking. I was following through wit the line of discussion. I'm not trying to shut it down.

you may be familiar with yoga. Maya means "power", however some people refer maya as illusion but it means power here

Yes I know maya when I see maya. I have known Maya to be
1. Maya = ma + ya (My all), a dual compound
2. Maya = A sankrit word meaning commonly translated as "That which is not". I guess this might be obvious when the word is broken down 'ma' (Not) + 'ya' (all there is).
3. Maya = Godhead's self-contained expanded plenary creative energy known as the material world of matter and energy, where samsara takes place for all its resident living souls.

these rishis hides from modern world.

I have heard of old sages living in the himalayas but not hiding.
I have also heard they can not be found either.

these rishis

It's due to them that yugas changes and we see some great humans taking birth to serve vedic dharma. They maintain balance in earth. :D

I have not information that confirms this except for Brahma.

In each kalpa all is desolved except the higher planetary systems far above druva loka.

The Devas are superintendents of material affairs so this is slightly familiar.

In Vaishnava epistemology

I appreciate the distinction between schools.

But IMO, they are all courses taught within the same campus wing.

By another comparison, It's like the subject of Business.
In Business there is specialties such as accounting, a/p, a/r, collections, advertising, insurance, investing, human resources, public relations, loan-sharking, gambling, speculation. IMO all are required course studies, not mutuallt exclusive.

PS:
In hindu epistemology the sanskrit word 'Avatar' means incarnation of God.

Hindu 101

PSS:
So you opine that the hindu traditions and the hindu scriptures ARE about attaining Godhood and that moksha is equal to attaining the status of a God?

atanu

Premium Member

Regardless of whther or not that is true, the information is resident within every person at the core of their being, just waiting to be rediscovered. It may come out in a different time, different language, but it will be the same. Water is always water.

There are scriptures that say that rishis are nitya or eternal. Rishi means that which works. I also agree what you say, since Upanishad names our sense functions such as hearing, seeing, etc. as different rishis such as Vasista etc.

Ego being thinks that it exists. It has no idea of Brahman's powers.