• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Funny Post ?!!!!!!!

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Hi all,
So I found this pattern in our RF..
It became a trend for many members here to rate whatever post he\she does not agree with as Funny :)
It's not Funny..You may be Funny :)

Seriously, what makes every post that we don't agree with as funny?!!!
There must be respect to the other opinions..
If people don't agree with us, this does not mean that they don't deserve respect..

Just keep in mind that in many situation the isolated and strange view may be the correct and the right one.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hi all,
It became a trend for many members here to rate whatever post he\she does not agree with as Funny :)

If people don't agree with us, this does not mean that they don't deserve respect..

Just keep in mind that in many situation the isolated and strange view may be the correct and the right one.

Salam
I don't know if you meant my last thread ?
It's just for fun not serious.so I posted it in joke sector.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi all,

That is actually abuse of the "funny" rating, and to some extent also a self-defeating gesture, since "funnies" count as likes.

Still, it is somewhat understandable and has a measure of useful purpose, in that it underscores how difficult it is for the rating-giver to accept the targeted post as something worth taking seriously.

There is a very significant difference between simple disagreement and refusal to take a post seriously. It is for everyone's ultimate benefit to be at least aware of which of the two is happening at any given situation.

Whether the proper response is to ignore the rating altogether or to attempt to win over the attention and respect of the rating-giver is the natural follow-up question. It can be difficult to answer, particularly when the subject matter involves political or religious beliefs.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Salam
I don't know if you meant my last thread ?
It's just for fun not serious.so I posted it in joke sector.
Trust, me, @Godobeyer , it happens fairly often with many other posters. It is not just your thread, if it is happening with your thread at all.

I believe it happens more often with political threads than with religion-related ones, even.

Earthling

David Henson
I don't find it's misuse disrespectful or abusive. To someone who believes different than another those beliefs are going to seem funny. We shouldn't be so thin skinned about it. Silencing all manner of offensive commentary like children on a playground.

Grow up.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hi all,

see thread topic.....I Respect Your Opinion

it's not funny either

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
We technically don't allow insults here, but my thought is if you just have to insult then, wherever you do them (not here) at least refine your insults. Make them more interesting and less cliche. Any 6 year old can parrot "Grow up." That stinky cheese won't win anyone over. When it comes to insults Shakespeare is inspirational. Wow the people. If you're going to lower yourself to insults then at least be clever about it.

Earthling

David Henson
We technically don't allow insults here, but my thought is if you just have to insult then, wherever you do them (not here) at least refine your insults. Make them more interesting and less cliche. Any 6 year old can parrot "Grow up." That stinky cheese won't win anyone over. When it comes to insults Shakespeare is inspirational. Wow the people. If you're going to lower yourself to insults then at least be clever about it.

This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man . . . so grow up, idiot.

I really had to resist the troll in me to rate the OP funny.

I agree completely with @Shia Islam here. I will add that not only is it rude and disrespectful, it also violates the forum rules: Abuse of the "Funny" Rating.

If you see such behavior, please report it.

I got a question.

To one poster who completely and totally trashed my reasoning with ad homs, and name calling. Despite the fact i disagreed with him, i pressed the funny icon to his post. But, i was not lying, nor did i mean i agreed with the post. I simply and truely was laughing. I found it funny.

Why? Because he was being brute honest. And brute honesty tends to have a funny element to it.

So, question is, was i going against the rule there by pressing funny?

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
I got a question.

To one poster who completely and totally trashed my reasoning with ad homs, and name calling. Despite the fact i disagreed with him, i pressed the funny icon to his post. But, i was not lying, nor did i mean i agreed with the post. I simply and truely was laughing. I found it funny.

Why? Because he was being brute honest. And brute honesty tends to have a funny element to it.

The funny rating was a new option. For some users it was starting to turn into a "I don't like this post" button, so the admins decided to try an keep that from happening.

Probably if users don't make it a habit it will stop being of concern. I personally don't notice it when I get funny'd on a serious post, but I can see how its bad manners.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I will sometimes report what appears to me to be a clear use of "funny" to mean that the funny is meant as an insult or personal put down.

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
I got a question.

A good gauge on whether or not you're violating the rules would be to ask yourself, "Would anyone other than me find this post amusing?"

A good gauge on whether or not you're violating the rules would be to ask yourself, "Would anyone other than me find this post amusing?"

I figure that if i found it funny, i surely cannot be the only one.

I was called a dumb chimp. I thought it was funny. Its possible no one else found it funny. But, i honestly did.

Now, it seams to be a case by case basis too. Recently i was called a crackpot. That i did not find funny.

I figure the reason that one was not funny was due to the intent was different.

The one who called me a chimp i felt he was relieving himself. Thats why it was funny.

The other person who called me a crackpot, i didnt sense he was relieving himself, he was purely just condescending. Thats why that was not funny.