• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The following things about your religion aren't special...

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
In traditional Judaism, this is actually no contradiction. They consider Satan an aspect of IHVH.
Not so much an aspect, more of an agent. He retains a position as an angel leading the council known as the "sons of god", charged with testing the piety of man. But yes, this is something that is known to me.

He came back, if you want to nitpick, three days later. Everyone's looking for a future event that was wrapped up within a week of his death.
The promise of return in question is the one that was issued during that interaction, in which he said that "before this generation passes" - clearly meaning the people he was talking to at that moment - he would return to them in glory.

And now to get to omega's... mess.

Reactions: Liu

omega2xx

*puts the popcorn aside*

Half of this thread is an educational example of why my religion discourages proselytizing - it's a futile effort.

But, to clarify one point:

In traditional Judaism, this is actually no contradiction. They consider Satan an aspect of IHVH.
From a Christian point of view however...

But to return to the purpose of the thread:
I already mentioned that I consider the OP's points no argument against, but rather for religion. I'll now show in which way I find them reflected (or not) in my own religion:

Point 1, 2 and 4:
How to reply to this hugely depends on whether I take an atheistic or theistic position (I'm more or less an agnostic, at least regarding personal deities).

From an atheistic position, the most important thing about having a religion nevertheless is whether it helps you in your life. If it makes you feel great, or helps you deal with psychological issues or simply with life's stress, then that's certainly an asset.
From a theistic position, sure, if I can feel or hear something I consider a deity then I should be careful to not take all of that at face-value. Much may be mere psychological illusions, and even if I get in contact with a spirit or deity, that doesn't mean all it tells me is true.
However, if there are deities or spirits at all, then what better way to find out more about them then trying to contact them? And religions are a pretty common tool to do so.

I know that my religion is a mix of several religions and traditions, and there's nothing new under the sun. But that's actually the point in Satanism/LHP - take from all you find what seems worthy and/or what you like, don't stay bound to a tradition for the mere reason of its traditionality.

Additionally, while I don't subscribe to the notion of some Satanists that ours would be some kind of original religion of humanity, I nevertheless can't help but acknowledge that forms of LHP pop up in pretty much any culture from time to time. So, in a way, my religion is explicitly un-unique (as paradoxically as it sounds for a religion of individuality), and I actually consider this a much better reason to adhere to it than any perceived uniqueness: It shows that the principles it's based on are universal and part of the fundamental nature of existence.

Okay, this point really doesn't fit my religion much at all, it actively discourages blind faith.
There are theistic Satanists that say to develop the ability of feeling the divine one first has to take a leap of faith and start believing for the heck of it. But even in this case it's not really blind faith, but more of a scientific hypothesis which one wants to test - if it doesn't work out, then the hypothesis is falsified and should be disregarded, or only kept up for psychological reasons, not for actual metaphysics.

If you think I am proselytizing you are wrong.

Liu

If you think I am proselytizing you are wrong.
I was rather referring to those who were trying to talk you out of your religious dogmatism, calling this try futile. Maybe proselytizing was the wrong expression, as it seems this was misunderstood by at least half of the people who posted after me.

English isn't my native language, I didn't know how to express it otherwise.

Not so much an aspect, more of an agent. He retains a position as an angel leading the council known as the "sons of god", charged with testing the piety of man. But yes, this is something that is known to me.
Yes, aspect or agent, I heard both - probably depends on which Jew you ask, and also whether we are talking contemporary or historic Judaism.

omega2xx

Aye? The Bible also says unicorns are real.So do you believe in unicorns too?

Get a real translaiton

You've given us no reason to assume the Bible is in any way authoritative so it's useless outside of the echo chamber you recite it in. This is what Christians so often fail to understand: they can cite Bible verses all day long but they'll be worthless in a debate with non-Christians.

I have give you my reasons---you reject them--move on.

So you admit you have no basis for claiming our gods are false. Good.
DUUH. I have answered that at least 3 times. You reject it, I am broken hearted---move on.

Yes, there is a double-standard. Ragin isn't going round acting as though his beliefs are universally true and using them to slander other peoples' religions. You are.

Try not to read between the lined. You are not good at it. I have not said or implied my religion is universally true and if you consider rejecting someone's religion is slandering it, then you are guilty of the same thing making you with the double standard.

If he meant God in the way you mean it then saying "Thor is a God" makes no sense whatsoever. Saying he is *a* God implies that Thor is one among many.

Irrelevant. You said he used "god," and he didn't. So you are wrong.

[QUOTERagin is using language in way that you can readily understand because he knows you're not willing to even learn language or terminology outside of your own faith. To put that in words you can understand: he's dumbing it down for you.

I know enough about myths to know I don't need to learn any more about them. He hasn't dumbed down anything. That is you imagination, to continue to try and show me in a bad light.

omega2xx

If you don't study other religions (something God told me to do specifically), then you run the risk of bearing false witness, at the very least.

When God tells me to study them, then I will. You can't bear false witness against a false religion by saying it is false.

It kinda bothers me you think Christianity is not asking you/requiring you to be good.

It does require me to be good. If I love my enemy, am being good. If I help the need, I am being good. He does not require me to be good to be saved and or to remain saved.

Judaism as it currently is can probably be traced no further back than the monarchy or maybe the times of the judges. Hebrews were a subset of Canaanites and thus believed what the others did for the most part.

Judaism is not a subset of any other religion, especially one with many gods.

There are other trinities, though.

No there isn't. That is unique to Christianity.

God helped me see the Truth. Whatever Christianity was supposed to be is not what it is.

God showed me the truth and Christianity is exactly what it is suppose to be. It may not be practiced the right way all the time, but that is not Christianity as it is suppose to be.

How do you know this if you can't be bothered learning what they actually say?

If the Bible contradict it, that is all I need to know.

Yes, you (general) can just be a shallow person who has knee-jerk and ignorant reactions towards things you don't wish to understand while simultaneously claiming to worship Truth.

I don't worship truth, I worship God. IMO, the shalow person is one who had not taken then time to study Christianity and has accepted an easy religion. My reaction is neither knee-jerk or ignorant. It is logical and intelligent. The one who studies a false religion is the ignorant one, spiritually speaking of course.

So, you worship the bible, and not God? Is God allowed to say what He wants, or does He need to clear it with the biblical publishers first?

If you want to discuss this, don't be silly.

How have there been wars before secularism took hold?

Secularism took hold before the flood.

Kind of makes you wonder why James can slap his name on a bible and it's considered sacred yet when Thomas Jefferson does the same thing ...

Their name on a Bible does no make it sacred.

He came back, if you want to nitpick, three days later. Everyone's looking for a future event that was wrapped up within a week of his death. :)

Everyone isn't.

So, if a friend who wrongs you is still a friend, an enemy who doesn't do anything bad to you still is an enemy? You have strange definitions for the words, friend.

I don't have definitions, I use Webster's

Has anyone else noticed it's the converts who have this issue the most? How many "native" religionists are this insecure?

I have no idea what you are referring to.

But early Hebrews worshipped more than one, so which one?

So did the later Hebrews. The right one is the One they started with.

Indeed. It's why I now loathe the idea. It's like watching car salesmen try to force you to buy a bowling ball and arguing it's a 4-door sedan. I started having way more issues with Christianity as "The Religion of Truuuuuuuuuth" when it became obvious ignorance and flat out falsehoods were part of the marketing campaign.

I don't make my decisions by the marketing claims of businesses, some of which are not Christian. Why blame Christianity for what sinful men do?

omega2xx

I was rather referring to those who were trying to talk you out of your religious dogmatism, calling this try futile. Maybe proselytizing was the wrong expression, as it seems this was misunderstood by at least half of the people who posted after me.

English isn't my native language, I didn't know how to express it otherwise.

Yes, aspect or agent, I heard both - probably depends on which Jew you ask, and also whether we are talking contemporary or historic Judaism.

proselytizing is trying to convert someone to your religion. I learned a long time ago not only that I do not have that ability, that is not what God wants me to do. Christians are witnesses. A witness tell what happened. We tell what we believe and why we believe it. The rest is up to God.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
@omega2xx can you at least get your posts to me in any semblance of being properly formatted? It makes it harder to see who is saying what and I should not have to do it for you in order to counter your points.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

proselytizing is trying to convert someone to your religion. I learned a long time ago not only that I do not have that ability, that is not what God wants me to do. Christians are witnesses. A witness tell what happened. We tell what we believe and why we believe it. The rest is up to God.

You've repeatedly claimed that other religions are false and that yours is correct; that other gods are false and yours is the real deal - and you keep referencing back to the Bible as if it's authoritative for non-Christians. That is the dictionary definition of preaching Now you're not only preaching, you're gaslighting us, troll.

omega2xx

@omega2xx can you at least get your posts to me in any semblance of being properly formatted? It makes it harder to see who is saying what and I should not have to do it for you in order to counter your points.

Sorry about that. I am in 3 forums and they all have different formatting methods. Sometimes I revert tot he one I have been in the longest.

omega2xx

You've repeatedly claimed that other religions are false and that yours is correct; that other gods are false and yours is the real deal - and you keep referencing back to the Bible as if it's authoritative for non-Christians. That is the dictionary definition of preaching Now you're not only preaching, you're gaslighting us, troll.

And you keep misquoting me and trying to read between the lines.

The Emperor of Mankind

And you keep misquoting me and trying to read between the lines.

inhales and exhales deeply

Guilty. Sometimes the truth is rude, but necessary. IMO, it is foolish to study false religions. I know enough about them that Christianity teaches they are false religions. Especially those with more than one God.

Christianity is special and unique.

Now you are just being silly. Do you have any evidence that Christianity is not the only true one, or that just you default position?

I consider buy books about false religions a waste of money and studying them is a waste of time.

Christianity is not an offshoot of any religion. It is separate and unique.

None of the systems you mention have a doctrine of a Trinity. Evidently I know more about them than you do. I do not have to be a student of a religion to know it is false.

False religion are not my enemy, they are the victim of my enemy. l I know myself better than you know your self, and I know where my beliefs truly come from. I also know where your belief system comes from, do you? You are your own God; you will determine what is right and wrong. That thinking is the poster child of ignorance.

Evidently you didn't understand that one does not have to be a student of a religion to know it is false.

You crsiticize me for not knowing about other religions, but you are also ignorant of Christianity.

Thor is not a God and there is no such things as gods.

Not true. Any religion that has more than one God is false; any religion that has writing the contradict the Bible is false; any religion based on a mythical god is false. Do you know enough about Christianity to say it is false? You seem to think Christianity is a false religion, but you don't understand any of it as far as I can tell.

What a silly statement. I know I can learn about any religion if i study it. You don't seem to understand that to study a false religion is a waste of time. It is more productive to study the only true one.

To look for other kGods would be a waste of time. If you want to look, let me know how many you find.

What have I Admitted that I don't know what I am talking about? If anyone is in a bubble, it is you. I did not become a Christian until I was 45 years old. I was in the bubble of spiritual ignorance then,. I had a sharp pocket knife and soon I burst all of the bubbles and escaped.

I will lend you my knife and then you will escape the bubble you are in. :D

Actually I do know your gods are false. The only true God says He is the only one. That makes all others only gods and that only in futile imaginations.

That is hilarious coming from someone who claims, Thor is a God. If I go to the library to find some information on him, will I find it in the non-fiction section? :p

I'm not misquoting you. You have repeatedly claimed your god is real and ours are false; you have repeatedly claimed our religions are false and yours is true. Stop lying, stop gaslighting & stop trying to mislead us.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Staff Reminder ***

We're seeing several issues with Rule 8 issues in this thread, folks, and from multiple parties. Please keep in mind Rule 8 of our forums:

8. Preaching/Proselytizing
Creating (or linking to) content intended to convert/recruit others to your religion, spirituality, sect/denomination, or lack thereof is not permitted. Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching. Stating opinions as a definitive matter of fact (i.e., without "I believe/feel/think" language, and/or without references) may be moderated as preaching.

The biggest thing is to remember your qualifiers.

omega2xx

inhales and exhales deeply

Don't tell me what to do. If you don't kike the way I do things, you have a solution---TAKE IT.

I'm not misquoting you. You have repeatedly claimed your god is real and ours are false; you have repeatedly claimed our religions are false and yours is true. Stop lying, stop gaslighting & stop trying to mislead us.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
"By the gods... Brace for impact!"

Two different census. 2 Sam 24:1, number Israel and Judah; I Chr 21:1 - number Israel. Different number of people.
Firstly, it's not the census that is the contradiction. It is who incited David to enact it; Samuel says Yahweh, Chronicles says Satan. Contradiction.

Secondly, it is the exact same census. Perhaps you should read your bible in context? Although Chronicles does not mention Judah, we get a report of their numbers as well. And guess what? Contradiction.

"And Joab gave up the sum of the numbering of the people unto the king: and there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men that drew the sword; and the men of Judah were five hundred thousand men." 2 Samuel 24:9 (Total: 800,000/500,000)
"And Joab gave up the sum of the numbering of the people unto David. And all they of Israel were a thousand thousand and a hundred thousand men that drew sword: and Judah was four hundred threescore and ten thousand men that drew sword. 1 Chronicles 21:5 (Total: 1,100,000/34,000) ("threescore" is 60: 400 x 60 = 24,000)

Ah, and with Chronicles we also get another contradiction. Samuel says that in Israel, 800,000 men "drew the sword". Yet in Chronicles only 100,000 men drew the sword. In Judah, the totals don't add up in any instance - whether they drew the sword or didn't.

Easily explained if you understand a leverite marriage.
Do explain how a marriage in which the brother of a deceased man is obliged to marry his sister-in-law explains away this contradiction?

Jesus said Elijah suffered and that He would suffer at the hands of the Jews, the disciples understood that what He said also applied to the suffering of John the Baptist.
In Matthew, Jesus is likening Elijah's suffering to his own suffering to come. He is saying that John the Baptist is Elijah. John apparently disagrees. Contradiction.

I'm not going to look them up.
Of course you're not.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.” “What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.” So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Matthew 27:3-8
In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) and said, “Brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.” With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood. Acts 1:15-20

Double contradiction there, in both the manner of Judas' death, and the reason why the field is named the "Field of Blood."
Then there is also the account in the Gospel of Judas that says he was stoned to death by the other apostles. Lastly, the early Christian leader Papias accounted that Judas "walked about in this world a sad example of impiety; for his body having swollen to such an extent that he could not pass where a chariot could pass easily, he was crushed by the chariot, so that his bowels gushed out."

Contradictions abound.

I have a record written by a man who thought bearing false witness was a sin aginst God.
The Ninth Commandment of your god: Thou Shall Not Bear False Witness.

You have no evidence God did not control the canon
And you have no evidence that he did. What we do have is the fact that men compiled the canon. If your god only wanted the four "Canon Gospels," then why are there so many others?

you certainly have no evidence they chose the books to push a narrative.
Oh, but we do. The canon gospels more or less agree with one another, especially concerning the divinity of Jesus. The other gospels? Less so. As they threaten this narrative and doctrine, they are deemed "heretical". Yet they exist none the less, and some are even dated to when Jesus would have actually lived, not 60 years after the fact.

You have no evidence it was commissioned to to use poor translations and they were threatened with punishment.
The Bible in English: its history and influence goes into detail as to the manner in which the KJV was translated. Such limitations were to intentionally limit Puritan influence on the translation (why would this be needed on a "pure word of god"?) and translators were given strict instructions to not place notes explaining verses in the margins; notably because King James found two marginal notes "offensive": Exodus 1:19, where the example of civil disobedience showed by the Hebrew midwives was commended, and also II Chronicles 15:16, where King Asa was criticized for not having executed his idolatrous grandmother, Queen Maachah.

Translators were also given instruction by the King that the new translation would conform to the ecclesiology of his Church of England. This included the manner in which words were translated, such as "church" not being translated to "congregation."

The KJB did not change anything about divorce that is not in it today.
Nor did I say it did. (Hint: what you've done here is an example of strawman). I said that divorce was the reason that King Henry the VIII formed the Church of England.

You need to understand that a person can be coming and going at the same time. Those Jesus mentioned did see Jesus coming into His kingdom, To them He was going, To God He was coming.
Biblical Gymnastics: 3/10.

I am not more obstinate than you are.
On the contrary. That I - and Scotsman - have invited you to show evidence for your claims, provide explanation for any of your beliefs, etc is testament to extreme flexibility. You're the one in this exchange who flung verbal feces around like an irate baboon and provided nothing save "my god says so." Well bully for you.

That is hilarious coming from someone who claims, Thor is a God.
Yes, coming from someone who believes that his god came down to write one of 42,000+ books. Side-splittingly hilarious. Yet show me the correlation between Thor and zero evidence for a tribe of 2.5-3.5 million Hebrews wandering around for 40 years.

If I go to the library to find some information on him, will I find it in the non-fiction section?
As Scotsman mentioned, you'll find all the information you need in the Religion section - the 200's according to the Dewey Decimal system.

As usual, it it talk with no evidence.
I have provided far more evidence here than you have, omega.

That is something you can't possibly know.
Preposterous. I can absolutely know that you don't know enough about me to be able to factually claim that you know yourself better than I know myself.

I have limited knowledge.
You have no knowledge, as you've told us. Your religion tells you that they're "false", and that's enough for you.

Most if not all of what all other religions teach is not unique. They all have basically the same doctrines.
And how would you know, knowing nothing of other religions because it's a "waste of time"?

None of them have the teachings I have mentioned,
And do tell, what teachings are those?

For the umpteen time, spiritual concepts CANNOT be proved. The ae are accepted by faith alone. That does not means they have not been prove internally to Christians.
"Proven internally" makes them absolutely useless outside your group. It certainly does not make your spiritual concepts infallible enough to support your statements here, or refute many things that have been presented to you.

If Ragin says what I beliee is wrong, it is up to him to prove it.
Good thing I haven't said that. You, on the other hand, have. You've repeatedly said that my religion is false and a "waste of time," that my God is not a God, etc. Thus, it is up to you to prove it. As you say, this is not a one-way street, though this conversation has been up until now. You've provided nothing to support your accusations and claims.

If he says Thor is a God, it is up to him to prove it.
As Scotsman pointed out, in reply to you accusing me of worshiping myself as a god, I refuted you in that Thor is my God. Let me explain this grammar to you, since it seems to be problematic for you.

A "god" is that which is worshiped. Nothing more. "God" is not the name of your deity, it is identifying him as the being that you worship. Capitalizing it is nothing more than a symbol of respect. I could say that Thor is my god or I could say that Thor is my God. Nothing about that sentence changes, and the fact remains that Thor is my God. I have not said - as you have - that my God is true and all other gods are false, and as such I have nothing regarding this to prove to you.

You, on the other hand, have full responsibility to back up your claims, as they have been presented definitively about other peoples' beliefs and gods as fact.

The Bible says there is one God,
No, actually it does not. The bible says that Yahweh is the god of the Israelites, and that they should not worship foreign gods before him. Which could mean that they're not to worship them above him (as he claims to be superior,) or that they're not to worship those gods in Yahweh's presence - i.e. in his temple.

Get a real translaiton
"And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness." Isaiah 34:7 (King James Version, 21st Century King James Version)

And I know that Presbyterians use the KJV.

I have not said or implied my religion is universally true
Yes you have. By stating that all non-Christian religions are false, you heavily imply that Christianity is the only truth.

if you consider rejecting someone's religion is slandering it,
Rejecting a religion is not the same as slandering it, or saying that it's false and a "waste of time." Religions are ultimately personal things, so if someone rejects a religion they are - at best - saying that the specific religion is not right for them. This is not saying that it's false. This is not slandering the religion, as you've done by saying that other religions are a waste of time.

I know enough about myths to know I don't need to learn any more about them.
And what - past "they're bad, m'kay?" - do you know.

That is you imagination, to continue to try and show me in a bad light.

Worse still, you have shown Christianity in a very poor light.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
You can't bear false witness against a false religion by saying it is false.
Unless you have actually tried that religion yourself, or learned more about it to make an educated judgement, you most certainly are bearing false witness by saying that it's false. And we know - from your own testimony - that you have not learned about other religions in the slightest.

Judaism is not a subset of any other religion, especially one with many gods.
Yes, it is. Judaism is formed from the Cult of Yahweh, which developed from the Canaanite religion - a polytheistic faith. There is archeological evidence (read: physical things) that show quite clearly that Yahweh was espoused to Asherah, the goddess of the sea. Ironically, the bull was a symbol of Yahweh - the "golden calf" in Exodus was in honor of Yahweh (the god that Moses was having a chat with).

No there isn't. That is unique to Christianity.
Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. This has been shown to you, and you are plainly wrong. Other religions have trinities; Christianity is not unique in this.

IMO, the shalow person is one who had not taken then time to study Christianity and has accepted an easy religion.
You have admitted to not taking the time to study other religions; why should the same be offered to you? (Aside from this, many of us have studied Christianity.) Secondly, you think our religions are easy? Get over yourself.

The Emperor of Mankind

Don't tell me what to do. If you don't kike the way I do things, you have a solution---TAKE IT.

... uh, no... I was denoting how I reacted. Other than that I think I'm pretty on the money if that is the only thing you can find wrong with my post. That said, I will be sure to make this more clear in the future.

IMO, the shalow person is one who had not taken then time to study Christianity and has accepted an easy religion.

Hilarious. You think our religions are easy compared to yours? Christianity has a majority presence in many, many countries and in some it has only recently lost that majority. Whether currently in majority or not, Christianity holds enormous social privilege. Plenty of non-Christians have had to endure years of legal repression and inequality to gain even some of the rights Christians enjoy. Your religion has centuries of codified theology, examined arguments & justifications for concepts like the Trinity or the Immaculate Conception to fall back on. All you need to do is look up, read & recite these arguments. Paganism has none of that - partly thanks to your religious forebears stamping out or co-opting corrupting everything they came across. All we have are the stories of our gods - and some of us don't even have that much! The vast majority of Pagans don't have a secure place outside the home to worship; the global Pagan community (not counting Shinto in Japan or Hindus if you want to class them as such) has almost no public temples or shrines; few organised sects or deity cults of any decent size and no standard doctrines whatsoever.

Pagan paths like Heathenry & Hellenism are referred to in Pagan circles as 'the paths with homework' because there is so much information for us to read up on - differing accounts of the old stories; archaeological finds new & old. Books worth of writing which outnumber the collected works in the Bible by sheer volume - most of these will be writings which emerged in the last century or so. In other words, collectively; there's a bunch of information out there - it's just nowhere near as organised as Christian doctrine is. On a path-by-path basis, information becomes more & more scarce because of its paucity from path to path. Some paths don't even have historical information at all.

Last edited:

Blackdog22

Indeed. It's why I now loathe the idea. It's like watching car salesmen try to force you to buy a bowling ball and arguing it's a 4-door sedan. I started having way more issues with Christianity as "The Religion of Truuuuuuuuuth" when it became obvious ignorance and flat out falsehoods were part of the marketing campaign.

I...really like this response. Where do I go to find Christians like you?