• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Flood & Worldwide Festivals of the Dead — the connection.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Who says with evidence that there was no worldwide flood? You? By the way, what evidence supporting your conclusion do you have?
Almost every scientist in any related field. There is a record of a good sized flood of the Tigris Euphrates river systems. That could easily have started the story. I could probably dig up the article for you.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Egyptians begin their year at the same time as the Jews, and on the 17th day of their second month commenced their solemn mourning for Osiris, the Lord of the Tombs, **(Ibid, pp.382-391)** who was fabled to have been shut up in the deep for one year like Noah,
Ohhhh, I think I get it now. I didn't read this whole bit before; I must have skimmed.

If I recall rightly, in the famous myth of the Contendings of Horu and Set, Set killed Wesir (Osiris) by tricking Him into a coffin which He then sealed and put afloat in the Nile. It took a year for His wife, Iset (Isis) to find Him.

Edit: Yes, here, [WIki],

Plutarch recounts one version of the Osiris myth in which Set (Osiris' brother), along with the Queen of Ethiopia, conspired with 72 accomplices to plot the assassination of Osiris.[27] Set fooled Osiris into getting into a box, which Set then shut, sealed with lead, and threw into the Nile. Osiris' wife, Isis, searched for his remains until she finally found him embedded in a tamarisk tree trunk, which was holding up the roof of a palace in Byblos on the Phoenician coast. She managed to remove the coffin and retrieve her husband's body.

This conflation with Noach betrays a lack of understanding of Kemetic mythology.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey bro, @Hockeycowboy it's strange I didn't get your mention, but I got Rivals.
You told me you would inform me, and sure enough you did, but RF bugs seem to have cut that line.
I don't get your mention. I am so sorry.
Thanks Rival.
If he edited the tags in afterwards you won't have been notified. It's not a very good system.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Um...we don't?
No. We do not have evidence that supports the conclusion that there was a global flood. Claiming that death celebrations by disparate cultures is evidence of the flood has the same validity as claiming they are evidence for _____ (fill in the blank).

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You misread me. I said they originated in the Fertile Crescent and were carried to Europe in the religious traditions that split off to become European.
Aren't you glad we in many parts of the world have freedom to decide? Because in the past people were tortured and killed if they differed in many places. And so they are now -- tragically so -- we see that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Aren't you glad we in many parts of the world have freedom to decide? Because in the past people were tortured and killed if they differed in many places. And so they are now -- tragically so -- we see that.
Of course, but this is quite offtopic.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I would not be surprised to learn that there have been many large floods in history, covering areas the size of entire countries today. Thus it makes sense that we see many cultures reference large floods that might even have covered land as far as their eyes could see (which to them might as well have been "the whole world"). However we have no evidence that a flood ever covered the entire globe in actuality.
Look at the news ---- big floods are happening today. They are, like it or no, a staple of human history.

YoursTrue

No, shockingly.

Do you know many geologists?
Not personally, Shunyadragon here says he is a geologist if I remember correctly. This is the internet, of course. And who makes sure to let people like me know how he feels about my ideas, calling me uneducated. So maybe in order to understand, do you think I need to go to a university to become a geologist to prove (oops, not prove...but conjecture or conclude based on evidence apparent as thought) that there was no earthwide flood? I'm curious to see your answer, but moreso your reasoning that there was no earthwide flood. Ever.
Now can you explain in your own words with evidence that there was not an earth-wide flood? Thanks. Remember -- your own words as you understand it with backup evidence of your belief that there was no earthwide flood.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
All these cultures would have had lunar calendars, so there is no way of knowing which date they are referring to on our modern 365 1/4 day calendar, and the date would have changed every year as the lunar calendar, rotated through our modern calendar.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
All these cultures would have had lunar calendars, so there is no way of knowing which date they are referring to on our modern 365 1/4 day calendar, and the date would have changed every year as the lunar calendar, rotated through our modern calendar.
Kemet and the Hebrew people use luni-solar calendars, but for the most part you're right . Kemet's year was really based around the annual flood.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
It is still not that free for all. Some religions will disfellowship you if you think for yourself.

YoursTrue

Look at the news ---- big floods are happening today. They are, like it or no, a staple of human history.
These big floods can happen, of course, from a tsunami -- I notice, however, that if it rains steadily even for a few hours in some places the roads get drenched, houses are ruined -- sewers get clogged, just the sudden downpour in NYC lately clogged up the subway system. Around my part there was that drenching rain for a few hours, buses and cars were up to their seats in water. All this from a few hours of pouring rain.

YoursTrue

I never denied this. I positively asserted I believe there was a huge flood. My point is that neither Kemet nor, as far as I know, any other African beliefs share the mass flood myth - and Kemet is one of the longest running civilisations that goes back into prehistory and we haven't any notion of a mass flood in their myths, so I was just pointing out that this is a crack in the theory as given.
It really is not consequential that there was no record in their history. As I was doing some research about this however, I came across this telling comment:
" The new data should evoke new thinking, which, in this case, would result in the restoration of the belief that the Earth suffered a devastating flood. That geologists have failed to review their fundamental belief in the presence of this new data is powerful testament to the constraining effect that “no flood, ever” holds over science, related disciplines, and rational thought."
The article is interesting, I hope you will read it. Not hard to digest.
Debunking Geology’s ‘No Flood, Ever’ Theory: Historical Analysis & Bathymetry Evidence on New Maps – The Worldwide Flood
So unfortunately geologists still go with the idea that there was "no flood, ever."