• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The First Christians were not Bible Christians

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I've never heard of a Bible christian. I am a a Bible believing christian.

The word Bible simply means book. The word christian means a follower of Christ.

The first christians believed in the Scriptures, and they believed in Jesus. Should they have called themselves Scripture christians? I think not.

So what exactly is it you are trying to say in your OP?
the Bible was not considered as their sole rule of theology , or practice, or faith.

less than 1% of Christians would have actually been versed in scripture and they didn't even have a new testament.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
None of us can say who is or is not saved. Only the Lord can see the hearts of men.

However, what we should be saying is what the Scriptures say. Idolaters, thiefs, murderers, liars, etc. will not enter the kingdom of heaven. That is not being judgemental. This is what the word of God says. The word does the judging.
the Bible says a lot of things like if you call your brother a fool you are in danger of Hell.

the Bible also says that if you do not hate mother or father or brother you cannot be a disciple of Christ.

the Bible often has phrases and words that do not mean what our Webster dictionary says they mean, and much was Lost in Translation and the cultural context of the time , leading many people astray preaching nonsense and blowing smoke out their buttocks.

prostitutes, thieves, tax collectors, idolaters, drunkards, gluttons, and liars have made it to Heaven. Jesus was a friend of many of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Jesus said prostitutes and tax collectors are getting into heaven ahead of the scribes and Pharisees. Usually prostitutes and tax collectors were not just guilty of all sorts of sexual sins, but they were also too often drunkards, Liars, thieves, and sociopaths, who's god was pleasure, party, intoxicating beverage, and erotic excitement in all of its Myriad forms.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
the Bible says a lot of things like if you call your brother a fool you are in danger of Hell.

the Bible also says that if you do not hate mother or father or brother you cannot be a disciple of Christ.

the Bible often has phrases and words that do not mean what our Webster dictionary says they mean, and much was Lost in Translation and the cultural context of the time , leading many people astray preaching nonsense and blowing smoke out their buttocks.

prostitutes, thieves, tax collectors, idolaters, drunkards, gluttons, and liars have made it to Heaven. Jesus was a friend of many of them.
There isn't a one of us who isn't a sinner. Jesus shed His blood so that we may have our sins forgiven. He is the reason prostitues, idolaters and all sinners have the opportunity to inherit the kingdom of heaven. He simply asks that we take up our cross and follow Him. Following Him means we stop sinning and turn to Him. Jesus says those who continue to live sin will not inherit the kingdom. Those are His words, not mine. We can accept or reject what Jesus says. The choice is ours.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Jesus said prostitutes and tax collectors are getting into heaven ahead of the scribes and Pharisees. Usually prostitutes and tax collectors were not just guilty of all sorts of sexual sins, but they were also too often drunkards, Liars, thieves, and sociopaths, who's god was pleasure, party, intoxicating beverage, and erotic excitement in all of its Myriad forms.
The worst sinner can go to heaven, but Jesus set forth conditions for that to occur.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
the Bible was not considered as their sole rule of theology , or practice, or faith.

less than 1% of Christians would have actually been versed in scripture and they didn't even have a new testament.
You don't need to be versed in Scripture to get to heaven, but you do need to do what Jesus says to do. Believe He is who He says He is, the Son of God. Stop sinning, and turn to Him. Follow Him. He is our example.

None of us is perfect. We will go on sinning as long as we live because of our imperfection. However, when we make a conscious effort to stop sinning, and try to be like Jesus, we will sin less and less as time goes on. And most importantly, when we do sin, if we confess our sins to the Lord, His blood will cleanse us.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Then you might consider rewording your post #77 for clarity's sake.
It is not our job to judge others. How can we? We cannot read the hearts of people. Only God can see our motives, etc.

The Word of God, however, judges. When my children were growing up, I taught them right from wrong. I used the Bible as my guide for teaching them. I read them Scriptures which showed them that there are consequences for living a sinful life.

To teach that slealing, lying and murder are wrong and that there are consequenes for such actions is not the same as judging.

See my posts above to PopeADope

Hope that helps to clarify.

Last edited:

12jtartar

Premium Member

I only have access to a phone and so consequently it is a lot easier and quicker To say what I want to say and for you to better know where I'm coming from to just make a YouTube.

There are some questions I would like for Bible Christians to answer, but anyone is free to comment of course.

The First Christians were not Bible Christians, and that actually is not even up for debate. It is obvious both from a Biblical and Historical view that they were not, but is also very clear to anyone who has a basic ability to think rationally or reason.
illiloioililioillioioillilioilililillilillililłiloioiooioKilojoulesOIloIlililioililiolililiolilLook

PopeADope,
I use the precept, Tu Quoque, which means I an acusing you of what you are acusing others.
Jesus was called The Christ, of which the followers were called Christians, Acts 11:26. After Jesus gave his life as a Ransom Scrifice for mankind, ha stayed on earth as a spirit for forty days, 1Peter 3:18-20, Acts 1:1-3. After Jesus went back to heaven, 10 days later he poured out the Holy Spirit he received from The Father, on a group that was waiting in Jerusalem, on the day of Pentecost, Acts 1:4-9, Acts 2:1-12. These ones that received the Holy Spirit on that day, were a short time later called Christians, because the were followers of Jesus, the Christ, Acts 2:32,33, 36-38, 4:8-13.
Since it is so clearly written in the Holy Scriptures that those who were the followers of Jesus were called later, Christians, at Antioch, Acts 11:26, where do you get the assertions that contradict The Bible???1Timothy 1:3-7, 6:3-5, 2Timothy 2:14-17.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

I only have access to a phone and so consequently it is a lot easier and quicker To say what I want to say and for you to better know where I'm coming from to just make a YouTube.

There are some questions I would like for Bible Christians to answer, but anyone is free to comment of course.

The First Christians were not Bible Christians, and that actually is not even up for debate. It is obvious both from a Biblical and Historical view that they were not, but is also very clear to anyone who has a basic ability to think rationally or reason.
Sure it's "up for debate"! Is the entire Bible the Greek Scriptures? No, not at all. The Hebrew Scriptures were what was used. In Acts of the Apostles 17, how could it have Paul's custom to "reason with them from the Scriptures"....which Scriptures? Obviously, the Hebrew Scriptures.

Both go together, actually. The inspired writings of Peter and Paul....both quoted frequently from the Hebrew Scriptures, showing the harmony between the two.

Now, I don't agree with Catholic theology, for many reasons, one of which is their terrible history of taking human life.... But that's not to say that God couldn't use them, to bring the inspired writings He Authored into one book.

God can use anyone He wants.

God even used Satan to unwittingly accomplish His Purpose. (Doesn't the Bible tell us, "Satan put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot", to get Jesus killed....yet that was God's ultimate purpose regarding His son, wasn't it?) Nothing can perplex the True God, Jehovah!

Any other questions, please let's discuss them one at a time, ok?

Last edited: