• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evils Of Electric Powered Vehicles

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hah!
Clickbaited again.

The thread is about the largely unrecognized dangers of massively popular electric scooters.
I've seen so many of these things around lately.
Too many are careless, thoughtless, addle brained, & drunk as a skunk.
Electric scooter injuries pile up, half coming from drunk or high riders

boys-city-kids-1624894-e1548356871258-1024x473.jpg

People, be careful out there.
And wear a helmet.
And clean underwear (in case you go to the hospital).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hah!
Clickbaited again.

The thread is about the largely unrecognized dangers of massively popular electric scooters.
I've seen so many of these things around lately.
Electric scooter injuries pile up, half coming from drunk or high riders

boys-city-kids-1624894-e1548356871258-1024x473.jpg

People, be careful out there.
And wear a helmet.
And clean underwear (in case you go to the hospital).
If that thing had a gas powered motor, would it be safer?
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Ugh.
We need Darwin.
But instead we get Darrow.

Not nothing from nothing, but you've just inspired me to write a book. It will be about a man who makes fun of a very large eagle. The will be (of course) "To Mock A Killing Bird".

Earthling

David Henson
Well, what we need, then, is governmental interference. Taxes, hidden taxes like licences, etc. insurance companies - those lobbyist don't ride for free! Unconstitutional (snickers at constitutional) statutes and regulations, er . . . uh laws . . . you know? The usual American Bull****. As long as some evil prick is making money off the deal. As much money as a prick can squeeze out of an apathetic and stupid populace. Which is a lot. Really, a lot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, what we need, then, is governmental interference. Taxes, hidden taxes like licences, etc. insurance companies - those lobbyist don't ride for free! Unconstitutional (snickers at constitutional) statutes and regulations, er . . . uh laws . . . you know? The usual American Bull****. As long as some evil prick is making money off the deal. As much money as a prick can squeeze out of an apathetic and stupid populace. Which is a lot. Really, a lot.
Dang....some rant.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
People that they run into could hear them more easily. Is that what you mean?
No, not really.
I am seeing a couple of young dudes without crash gear zipping along on a powered scooter.
Standing.
Idiots.

If somebody doored them, I would feel bad. But recognize that they picked it and snicker about Darwin Awards.
Tom

Notanumber

A Free Man
I think it's a mandatory safety precaution on electric scooters that you must secure a playing card in your spokes with a clothes pin.

I was thinking of modifying my e-bike in that way but at least I have a bell and I am prepared to use it.

These Lycra clad bikers seem to think that bells are beneath them, if they have them, they don’t use them.

What I really need is a claxon.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's that "drunk as skunk" thing that worries me. I knew a ton of people in Indiana who lost their license to drive a motor vehicle (for various reasons, but mostly from being intoxicated and/or a dangerous driver) but they are allowed to drive a moped or electric scooter. They already demonstrated they are unfit to drive, so why should they be allowed to drive something else? And some of them seem to not comprehend that "drunk scooting" is still drunk driving and still very dangerous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's that "drunk as skunk" thing that worries me. I knew a ton of people in Indiana who lost their license to drive a motor vehicle (for various reasons, but mostly from being intoxicated and/or a dangerous driver) but they are allowed to drive a moped or electric scooter. They already demonstrated they are unfit to drive, so why should they be allowed to drive something else? And some of them seem to not comprehend that "drunk scooting" is still drunk driving and still very dangerous.
At least they're less of a danger on a scooter than in a car.

Daemon Sophic

Gotta agree with you on that one. I’ve seen a lot of death from drunk drivers. If they kill themselves then....meh. :shrug: That happens. But it’s all the people that drunk drivers can kill, other than themselves, who I care about. :(

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's what I thought, but then I began to wonder. Even on a scooter than they still cause serious injury and death to themselves and others. They don't have the speed or weight of a car, but they lack the shield that a car provides, and the speeds they can reach can still end in disaster. I suppose strictly to other motorists they are generally far less dangerous (except to perhaps others riding on motorized scooters, mopeds, motorcycles, and other bikes), but when it comes to pedestrians I'm not sure. If they hit a pedestrian in such a way they forward or backwards and their head bounces off concrete, even a motorized scooter can hit them hard enough for serious blow to the head when it hits the ground. But, without that, I not sure what kind of damage it could do but it definitely wouldn't feel good, and I see broken ribs as a possibility, but just because it really doesn't take much to break them. I'm also not sure when it comes to property damage. A car can obviously cause a greater amount with lesser effort in a shorter time, but what if we end up seeing not two fences smashed in from a drunk driving a car, but rather fences over several blocks ruined from a drunk struggling to drive a motor bike?
I suspect they may not be that much safer, but rather may pose a different sort of danger.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's what I thought, but then I began to wonder. Even on a scooter than they still cause serious injury and death to themselves and others. They don't have the speed or weight of a car, but they lack the shield that a car provides, and the speeds they can reach can still end in disaster. I suppose strictly to other motorists they are generally far less dangerous (except to perhaps others riding on motorized scooters, mopeds, motorcycles, and other motor bikes), but when it comes to pedestrians I'm not sure. If they hit a pedestrian in such a way they forward or backwards and their head bounces off concrete, even a motorized scooter can hit them hard enough for serious blow to the head when it hits the ground. I'm also not sure when it comes to property damage. A car can obviously cause a greater amount with lesser effort in a shorter time, but what if we end up seeing not two fences smashed in from a drunk driving a car, but rather fences over several blocks ruined from a drunk struggling to drive a motor bike?
I suspect they may not be that much safer, but rather may pose a different sort of danger.
Punishment & restrictions should be handed out in
degrees proportional to the offense & danger posed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Punishment & restrictions should be handed out in
degrees proportional to the offense & danger posed.
I'm not aware of anything that shows how much damage they cause or what kind of dangers they pose. I do see a potential for a greater amount damage over time with a series of smaller incidents adding up. And of course while driving most people reflexively react in a way that isn't good for the car. We may yet still see tragic amounts of deaths and injuries to the innocent, but instead from prople trying to swerve around and dodge a drunken and aware ******* puttering by.