• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The evil eye

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Shalom

Do you believe in the evil eye ?
If so, how do you protect yourself from it and what says the Scriptures about it

Thank you

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, I almost wish this was in comparative religion, because the concept of the "evil eye" exists across cultures. Since I'm not Jewish (though I suppose I have a claim to it by heritage, I don't identify as religiously so in any way) I won't comment, but it'll be interesting to watch this thread.

Harmonious

Shalom

If so, how do you protect yourself from it and what says the Scriptures about it

Thank you

There are lots of beliefs amongst Judaism abot "evil eyes". I would have to look up the source Biblically (I would guess Psalms or Proverbs). Still, my first guess is that it comes from Ethics of the Fathers (a particular Mishna that focuses on Jewish philosophy).

There are different customs to prevent said evil eye.

One way is to not give praise too lavishly.

One way is... While mentioning a particular bad outcome, to say, "God forbid." immediately before or after.

Some involve mysticism, which is done by learning extra Torah or saying Psalms.

There are others, but they are more custom-based (certainly not law based) and folksy.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The evil eye seems to be more on the folk side of religion, including Judaism, and less on the formal side.
Much of it is cultural. For example middle eastern Jews may use similar protections to what Muslims use. Things like Hamsa. Some wear a red string on their wrist (something which was popularized by the modern Kabbalah movement). Some people are careful about what they say as to avoid the evil eye, for example not speaking about success prematurely and ending sentences with saying 'bli ayin hara' which translates literally to 'without the evil eye'.

In the scripture itself we can find proverbs like this:

"Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainties; For as one that hath reckoned within himself, so is he: 'Eat and drink', saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee."

(Proverbs 23:6-7)

"He that hath an evil eye hasteneth after riches, and knoweth not that want shall come upon him"

(Proverbs 28:22)

Personally I don't believe in the evil eye, but it has been running in the Moroccan side of my family, they do carry cultural beliefs about such things that are distinct, but I doubt they take it as seriously as the generation of my grandparents.
Despite not believing in it personally, I do appreciate a decorative Hamsa, or a decorative Mezuzah (if it can be counted as a repellent of the evil eye).

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
By the way, Jewish history is filled with artefacts and talismans of protection, Including magical formulas to ward off the evil eye, diseases, misfortune, or evil entities.

dantech

The evil eye seems to be more on the folk side of religion, including Judaism, and less on the formal side.
Much of it is cultural. For example middle eastern Jews may use similar protections to what Muslims use. Things like Hamsa. Some wear a red string on their wrist (something which was popularized by the modern Kabbalah movement). Some people are careful about what they say as to avoid the evil eye, for example not speaking about success prematurely and ending sentences with saying 'bli ayin hara' which translates literally to 'without the evil eye'.

In the scripture itself we can find proverbs like this:

"Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainties; For as one that hath reckoned within himself, so is he: 'Eat and drink', saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee."

(Proverbs 23:6-7)

"He that hath an evil eye hasteneth after riches, and knoweth not that want shall come upon him"

(Proverbs 28:22)

Personally I don't believe in the evil eye, but it has been running in the Moroccan side of my family, they do carry cultural beliefs about such things that are distinct, but I doubt they take it as seriously as the generation of my grandparents.
Despite not believing in it personally, I do appreciate a decorative Hamsa, or a decorative Mezuzah (if it can be counted as a repellent of the evil eye).

Coming from a Moroccan background myself, I could tell you I know exactly what you are talking about with how your grandparents used to take it seriously.

Now, Mezuzah is said to protect against the Evil Eye, but it is not why we hang it on our doors. The reason why we hang it is actually in the Shema Israel that we should be reciting twice a day every day. The Mezuzah protects us from way more than just the Evil Eye, and its decoration is not important. It's the quality of the parchment inside that is most important.

Now, about the Evil Eye. I read, in a book called Ahavat Hayim, about the Hebrews when they left Egypt. The rabbi was explaining that Moshe Rabeinu gave instructions to all the people that were born in Adar (equivalent of Pisces Zodiac) to walk in back of the line, and in front of the line.

So half the Pisces were walking behind everyone else, and half were walking in front of everyone else. The Rabbi then explained why this was done. He says that People born in Adar are not affected by Ayin Hara or Evil Eye. And that a lot of other countries would use it often to hurt wanderers from the back. So Moses actually created a shield for his people by using the Pisces as walls around the Hebrews.

If you wonder why Pisces? It's because fish have no eyelids. They never close their eyes. Rabbi Nahman said that the Evil Eye does not affect what is under water. You have probably seen that blue eye that people put up in their houses to protect from the Evil Eye, now you know where it originated.

I can not remember, at all, where i read this, but i remember reading that mezuzah, tefilin, prayers, etc... all protect against the Evil Eye. So any observant Jew should have no fear of it. By wearing Tefilin every day, by having mezuzot around you, etc... you are completely protected of it and should not worry.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I don't know that I believe in the Evil Eye per se. But malign influences from people who wish one ill...sure, I could see that, in some sense.

What I do to protect myself, to the degree I even believe there is something from which I might need protection, is just to try and draw toward myself and my house more of the divine energy that flows through the universe. I do this by making my house a place of Torah study and prayer, and by reciting brachot (benedictions) through the day, whenever appropriate, and by trying to observe the commandments as best I can.

But I also have a few hamsas hanging up in my house, and a mizrach (decorative indicator of which way is east, so I know which way to face during prayer) that's kind of protective. Maybe I just like the aesthetics....

Hajraismail

The evil eye is really harmful. In Islam it's believed that by wearing talismans or by praying ayatulkursi and the four quls one can be protected by evil eyes.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I don't know that I believe in the Evil Eye per se. But malign influences from people who wish one ill...sure, I could see that, in some sense.

What I do to protect myself, to the degree I even believe there is something from which I might need protection, is just to try and draw toward myself and my house more of the divine energy that flows through the universe. I do this by making my house a place of Torah study and prayer, and by reciting brachot (benedictions) through the day, whenever appropriate, and by trying to observe the commandments as best I can.

But I also have a few hamsas hanging up in my house, and a mizrach (decorative indicator of which way is east, so I know which way to face during prayer) that's kind of protective. Maybe I just like the aesthetics....

A truly excellent post.

Dena

No, I don't. When people ask me about my hamsa (I wear one) I often make sure to tell them I don't actually believe in the evil eye. They don't care either way. They just think it's pretty.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Shalom

Yes, indeed I do. When I was a child, growing up, in school, if I misbehaved, my teacher gave me the "evil eye" :sarcastic.

Last edited: