• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ethics of Proselytizing

Humanistheart

#88:

Nothing in there about morality, proselytization, or the law. Just a shining example of the kind of behavior Apex' post was referring to, which is why he linked to it.

Which would still make his post irrelevant, and still ignores the unethical behavior of our contries christians violating the laws of other countries for their own immoral purposes. And it does contain a principle of morality, as there is a plethera of immoral actions to be found in the bible, an it is the primary holy book ofr the most blood soaked religion on the planet. But thank you for clarifying, perhaps we can get back to the issue of proselytizing now.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Which would still make his post irrelevant, and still ignores the unethical behavior of our contries christians violating the laws of other countries for their own immoral purposes. But thank you for clarifying.
His post was relevant to yours. You're the one went off topic in your eagerness to bash the Bible.

Humanistheart

His post was relevant to yours. You're the one went off topic in your eagerness to bash the Bible.

Actually the post I responded to was the initial off topic post. Perhaps you'd like to go back and read. And your post is irrlevant to the OP, so by pointing this out about mine you've made a hypocrite of yourself as well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually the post I responded to was the initial off topic post. Perhaps you'd like to go back and read. And your post is irrlevant to the OP, so by pointing this out about mine you've made a hypocrite of yourself as well.
:rolleyes: Whatever. :rolleyes:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Why is it when people can't defend themselves they resort to 'whatever'? There must be better sounding cop-out statements. Owell, back to the illegal proselytizing.
I wasn't being hypocritical, unless you can find a post where I said you were wrong for going off-topic.

Your speculation on my motives is also completely inaccurate. I said "whatever" because your spurious accusation of hypocrisy deserved no more resposnse.

It's code for "That was stupid, so I'm not taking you seriously anymore."

Humanistheart

It's code for "That was stupid, so I'm not taking you seriously anymore."

Ah, if that's the case then I sopposet the best answer to your current line of posts would in fact be 'whatever'. Speculation to motives, oh you mean like your use of 'eager' and 'bash' in relation to the bible in reference to me?

rusra02

Premium Member
I mean it in the sense you mean it - like the Underground Railroad. I've already said I find proselytizing unethical.

Hmmm... so Jesus is unethical? When he told his followers to make disciples, he prefaced his command by saying "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth." (Matthew 28:19,20) God gave this authority to Christ.(Psalms 2:8)
Therefore, the Sovereign of the Universe and his Son have given command to preach and teach the good news. Who should Christians disobey? God and his Son, or some man-made law constructed to prevent honest hearted people from hearing the truth?
The early disciples answered that question clearly at Acts 4:19,20;Acts 5:29).

Often these lands that forbid preaching are ruled by false religious leaders who want to keep the people they rule in darkness. Not unlike the inquisitions and evil deeds of the churches (that no more represent Christ than the non-christian religions do.)

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Hmmm... so Jesus is unethical? When he told his followers to make disciples, he prefaced his command by saying "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth." (Matthew 28:19,20) God gave this authority to Christ.(Psalms 2:8)
Therefore, the Sovereign of the Universe and his Son have given command to preach and teach the good news. Who should Christians disobey? God and his Son, or some man-made law constructed to prevent honest hearted people from hearing the truth?
The early disciples answered that question clearly at Acts 4:19,20;Acts 5:29).

Often these lands that forbid preaching are ruled by false religious leaders who want to keep the people they rule in darkness. Not unlike the inquisitions and evil deeds of the churches (that no more represent Christ than the non-christian religions do.)

If those honest-hearted people don't want to hear Jesus' message, the ones preaching Jesus' message should rightly screw off. If you force something on someone, it's unethical. I don't care if it's a disease, or a fistful of money, or eternal bliss.

rusra02

Premium Member
If those honest-hearted people don't want to hear Jesus' message, the ones preaching Jesus' message should rightly screw off. If you force something on someone, it's unethical. I don't care if it's a disease, or a fistful of money, or eternal bliss.

Agreed. You should not force anything on anyone. You should not insist someone listen to you or believe what you do. Christ nor his true followers never forced anyone to accept the good news they preached. Proselytizing is the act of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another religion.
The act of itself is not unethical if done respectfully, accepting the free will of all others to listen or not listen.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Agreed. You should not force anything on anyone. You should not insist someone listen to you or believe what you do. Christ nor his true followers never forced anyone to accept the good news they preached. Proselytizing is the act of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another religion.
The act of itself is not unethical if done respectfully, accepting the free will of all others to listen or not listen.

Of course. Giving your opinions to someone who wants to hear them is not unethical. Nothing wrong with that.

Does it not say in the Bible how Jesus instructed his disciples to shake the sand off their sandals of all the villages that refuse to hear the Word of God? Because the Lord will destroy that village?

I believe Matthew 10:14-16

Good ol' Matthew 10:14-16 said:
14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

SHANMAC

Does it not say in the Bible how Jesus instructed his disciples to shake the sand off their sandals of all the villages that refuse to hear the Word of God? Because the Lord will destroy that village?

Indeed, Matthew 10 seems to imply that God will take action against those tows that refuse to listen to the Good News on the day of judgment. However, I don't see how that helps your argument. Unless I'm missing something, it detracts from your argument in that Jesus is telling his apostles to spread the Good News to those that will hear it (Note that Jesus did not direct them to force the Good News on them in this passage). Jesus goes on to say that God will take action agaist those towns that refuse to hear the Good News later.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
another word for a proselytizer is a missionary.
Missionaries have always been prepared to risk their lives for their faith.
Breaking a countries law is just an extension of that risk.
Breaking any law might be a risk worth taking... ask any criminal, who breaks laws for gain.
Breaking laws in the service of God... would seem to be reasonable in the circumstances.
Both the Criminal and the missionary are subject to the prescribed penalty if caught.
That is the prerogative of the country concerned.

Humanistheart

If done respectuflly. So you think breaking the law of a country goes under the respectful category?

And in answer to your earlier question, yes, the jesus depicted in the bible was very unethical, in many ways.

Last edited:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Indeed, Matthew 10 seems to imply that God will take action against those tows that refuse to listen to the Good News on the day of judgment. However, I don't see how that helps your argument. Unless I'm missing something, it detracts from your argument in that Jesus is telling his apostles to spread the Good News to those that will hear it (Note that Jesus did not direct them to force the Good News on them in this passage). Jesus goes on to say that God will take action agaist those towns that refuse to hear the Good News later.

The point was not that Jesus says to not force the message on those unwilling to listen, but what will happen to those people for rejecting that message.

SHANMAC

The point was not that Jesus says to not force the message on those unwilling to listen, but what will happen to those people for rejecting that message.

It seemed like your previous post was geared toward citing Matthew for the proposition that Jesus commands and encourages proselytizing, which is not an accurate reading of Matthew. Thank you for the clarification.