• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ethics of Proselytizing

Humanistheart

I'm sure many are aware of proselytizing. There are countries that have or currently have laws against proselytizing certian religions.I believe on such example is china and christianity. Yet I'm sure many of us now people who, dispite the risks and the countries laws against it, have gone to spread their religion. I talked to a christian girl the other day who'd just gotten back from asia on a mission. She was forbidden to say which country she was in.

Does anyone else find this kind of action to be unethical? Is it okay to disrespect a countires laws for the sake of ones own personal religious beliefs? Thoughts?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I find proselytization rude at absolute best, but I don't think it should be illegal.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Ah, sorry.

I dunno. On the one hand, if you're sincerely trying to save souls, that's laudable, however misguided. On the other, "render unto Caesar...."

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
One can always say "I'm not interested, thank you"..................I don't think it should be illegal, but maybe a "tamed" - a quiet "Are you interested in....?"

linwood

Does anyone else find this kind of action to be unethical? Is it okay to disrespect a countires laws for the sake of ones own personal religious beliefs? Thoughts?

I think legislating the flow of ideas is unethical no matter what those ideas.

I personally despise proselytizing but don`t want laws against it.

However I routinely break the laws of my own country when I find them hollow so consider your source.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
While I think George Carlin hit it spot on with "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself," I do not think anti-proselytizing laws are any better.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
One can always say "I'm not interested, thank you"..................I don't think it should be illegal, but maybe a "tamed" - a quiet "Are you interested in....?"
Its not that simple. what about conversion attempts against people who are socially weak and are likely targets?
prosetilyzing and conversion are far from an innocent phenomena.
how do you set a general standards between casual presentation of one's religion, and aggressive and highly active prosetilyzing attempts?
in some regards, it may create social instability, as it is simply not a good idea to try to convert people into a religion which is different than the local religion, or even at odds with it.

freethinker44

I disagree with proselytizing and feel it is completely disrespectfull to "advertise" your religion like that, especially in public places, however, I would never try to limit someones right to free speech and in fact I would sign my name on any petition uphohlding someone elses right to try to convert me to their religion. But, it's not as easy as saying a simple "thank you, I'm not interested". What about funeral protesters? Should we just nod and say thank you as they tell us our loved ones died because god hates ****? Like it or not what these people are doing is proselytizing, just to an extreme level. The thing is though, US laws don't distinguish between extreme and less extreme, pushing someone is the same crime as beating them, protesting is the same as proselytizing.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So are you saying if you personally find a law of another country unethical it's okay to break it?
I didn't say that...

On the other, "render unto Caesar...."
Was never understood in the sense you imply... every evangelistic act recorded in the New Testament was illegal... the religion itself was illegal...

Alceste

Vagabond
IMO, laws restricting free speech are generally unethical, and so is proselytizing. It's not like we need to pick which is MORE unethical - it would depend on the circumstance. For example, laws restricting hate speech and incitement to violence are LESS unethical than proselytizing to the vulnerable and ignorant for your personal enrichment (like televangelists). However, laws prohibiting the expression of political dissent are MORE unethical than proselytizing out of a genuine desire to improve the living conditions in your own community. We don't need a law prohibiting every unethical thing, nor does every law happen to prohibit a genuinely unethical thing. Laws are laws, ethics are ethics. The best we can hope for is that from time to time they overlap somewhat. IMO, going to another country to break their laws on the assumption that culture agrees with your ethics is arrogant, narrow-minded and misguided, but you wouldn't see it that way if you believe in the existence of an objective morality.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Keep religion inside closed doors!!!!

I'd rather not see people justifying scientifically the global flood of Noah's time as fact on tv at 1am.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Proselytizing is just a fancy term for selling. Some selling is ethical, some is unethical.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Proselytizing is just a fancy term for selling. Some selling is ethical, some is unethical.

I agree. Most of the time it's like those really, really annoying info-mercials where everybody's pretending to be a lot more excited about the product than they actually are (and it shows).

I think they'd be better off giving out free samples.