• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ethics of Profiting from Others' Failure

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why would you ask such a foolish question? What could possibly be gained by my answering it? Who has not succumbed to greed at one time or another? Especially in a culture that treats as if it were a virtue.

So would that be a no?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So would that be a no?
I wonder how may people glean their insight into business
from TV & movies rather than actually running a business?
The media are prone to pushing the dramatic, which wouldn't
include the cooperative aspects. So instead we see a deluge
of predation, corruption, & sexual improprieties.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I wonder how may people glean their insight into business
from TV & movies rather than actually running a business?
The media are prone to pushing the dramatic, which wouldn't
include the cooperative aspects. So instead we see a deluge
of predation, corruption, & sexual improprieties.

Having said that, I still can't decide if Brad Pitt or Peewee Herman should play me when they do a movie about my career...

PureX

Veteran Member
So would that be a no?
Do you see a "no" anywhere in that response? Or are you just seeing whatever you want to think is there? Do you have an actual argument to offer against my definitions of greed vs. ambition?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you see a "no" anywhere in that response? Or are you just seeing whatever you want to think is there? Do you have an actual argument to offer against my definitions of greed vs. ambition?

I was just curious if you could apply your definition to someone in real life. I think it would go a long way in helping us undersatnd your position.

PureX

Veteran Member
I was just curious if you could apply your definition to someone in real life. I think it would go a long way in helping us undersatand your position.
Who has not worked with someone who wanted to be paid as much as he could get and yet constantly did as little actual work as he could get away with? Who has not worked for someone who balked at the idea of increasing wages and yet routinely demanded more work from his employees? Who has not bought something from someone who blatantly lied about the value of the item being sold to get you to pay as much money as they could possibly get out of you for it? And who here thinks all the scenarios are perfectly "normal and acceptable" trade practices?

What about this is so difficult to recognize for what it is: ... greed?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Who has not worked with someone who wanted to be paid as much as he could get and yet constantly did as little actual work as he could get away with? Who has not worked for someone who balked at the idea of increasing wages and yet routinely demanded more work from his employees? Who has not bought something from someone who blatantly lied about the value of the item being sold to get you to pay as much money as they could possibly get out of you for it? And who here thinks all the scenarios are perfectly "normal and acceptable" trade practices?

What about this is so difficult to recognize for what it is: ... greed?

Still deflecting, but that's understandable. Have a nice day.