1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The Equality of Men and Women

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by adrian009, May 21, 2019.

1. Scott C.

Scott C. Just one guy

Ratings:
    +632
    Religion:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Separate but equal was an excuse for racial segregation and a poor comparison to what I said. There is no separation between men and women. They are unified, together, a team, equal value, differing roles, anything but separated.

#41 Scott C., May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,766
    I intended to vote for Bernie, but he got ambushed by Clinton, in what I believe was illegal activity. I was STILL going to write him in until I found out that he did not put his name on the 'write in" ballot. I ended up voting for Clinton but in a state of dismay. Having spent my own time in the hands of assaultive and molesting males there was no chance that I would vote for Trump, none at all. Worse yet, he looks and acts like him.

It is unimaginable that our political system has gotten in this state. When I was being taught in 2011, I heard "Mormons will save the constitution" a lot...

3. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,766
    We may differ because I think that Gen. 3:16 is absolutely true, but those who are taught to be Godly leaders will lead, not enslave. Practically speaking, women are better suited for running the house. While men are the protectors. There are all sorts of traits that are rooted in ancient Anthropology and I have no quarrel with that. I think the radical feminists have done a lot of damage. Humanity truly is fallen.

4. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +802
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    Actually, that saying goes 'IF the constitution will can be saved, the elders will do it."

That's a problem we have, we Mormon types. Sometimes I have to wonder WHY we are the way we are, considering the way the USA treated us from the beginning right through to the middle of the twentieth century, but we are probably the most patriotic group in the nation, and we put the constitution right up beside the scriptures as something worth preserving.

No, we don't think that the constitution is scripture, but we are aware that as hard a time as we've had WITH it, we would have been impossible without it.

As for Clinton...that woman was worse, I believe, than her husband. She supported him, attacked his victims, and proved that she didn't give two hoots for the things you and I care about. She cared only about getting elected. Very Machiavelian of her...very...Borgia like. Trump is....like the rest of us. Not perfect by any means; awkward, NOT a politician, bumbling in those circles. A man who may or may not have misused his power with women, who brags like a locker room idiot, but who does what he says he'll do.

And that is why I voted for him. Well, that and he wasn't Clinton.

5. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,459
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    The argument for equality needs to acknowledge different roles. In other words equality isn’t sameness but sees the status of both men and women being equal along with recognition of complimentary functions in some areas such as reproductive and care of young children.

IMHO the abortion issue isn’t so much about the equality of men and women but respect for the sanctity of human life and God’s laws. A human life begins at conception and an unborn child is not part of a woman’s body in the same manner as an unwanted growth or tumour.

6. Katzpur

Katzpur Not your average Mormon

Ratings:
    +5,462
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Thank you, Scott, for that excellent response. For anyone who may be interested, I concur 100% with everything Scott has said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,462
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I've got to disagree with the part of your post I put in boldface, dianaiad. A thumbs up for the rest of your post, though.

8. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,462
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Well, they were probably just about the two worst possible candidates the country could have possibly found to run.

9. dianaiad

Ratings:
    +802
    Religion:
    SEE????

Not all Mormons are Republicans!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. dianaiad

Ratings:
    +802
    Religion:
    I can't really disagree with that, either.

11. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,462
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Just a heads up, Ellen. If you can trust any Mormon man, it will be Scott.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. adrian009

Ratings:
    +5,459
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I have never lived in the USA and though interested in your country's history and politics, as a Baha'i do not have any political affiliations. I'm aware that your previous president Barack Obama was the first with African American ancestory. He was a democrat. I understand that the Democrats are much more diverse than the Republicans in regards gender and race.

Photo of new House members shows big gap in diversity between parties

The proportion of white men within the Democratic caucus is set to drop from 41% to 38% next year, while the same percentage is set to rise among Republicans from 86% to 90%.

Thank you for acknowledging your faith's history of racism. I've talked previous to members of your congregaion who denied it, were unaware of it or hugely offended when I raised the issue.

In regards the proportion of membership of Mormon's who are American, 58% of your population base are from North America with about 41% from the USA.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints membership statistics - Wikipedia

So while spread across the planet there's a definite concentration within North America and the USA.

Back to the OP question. What proportion of women makes up the leadership of your church?

13. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Thank you. My emotions are off right now. I'm taking an awful antibiotic for a UTI, and I had a tooth extracted two weeks ago, and that feels like wwIII was fought there. I'm cranky and tearful, and I'm sorry.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +649
    Religion:
    Christian

I believe in complementarianism. Women and man are equally valuable. All believers are priests to God in the priesthood of believers but I do believe in the church male pastors and male elders is normative as is male servant headship in marriage. I could vote for a woman president or vice president and do not have a problem with women as leaders in politics or business.

• Like Like x 2
  15. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +649
    Religion:
    Christian
    I also like the laver made from women's mirrors in the Torah
    A Copper Laver Made from Women’s Mirrors - TheTorah.com

It seems women were mentioned in significant places in the Bible.
    The egyptian women midwives who saved the Jewish baby boys,
    the daughters of Zelophehad who successfully argued case law in the Torah,
    some women prophets, the first witnesses to the resurrection and others

Cutest name is Job's youngest daughter 'little makeup box' (ok horn of jewels... same thing )

Some quotes form Proverbs 31
    She dresses herself5 with strength and makes her arms strong.
    She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

16. adrian009

Ratings:
    +5,459
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    As a Baha’i I’m good with both the Torah (and the Hebrew Bible or Tanakh) and the Gospels (along with the rest of the New Testament) reflecting God’s Revelation to humanity through Moses and Christ. In the past man has dominated women by virtue of his more forceful and aggressive qualities of both mind and body. In this age the balance has shifted and the feminine ideals such as intuition, service and loving kindness are ascendant. This age shall be more permeated with such qualities.

So Christianity is a diverse religion with many denominations and sects. Where do you sit on the spectrum and how does the leadership of your church reflect the equality of men and women?

17. Scott C.

Scott C. Just one guy

Ratings:
    +632
    Religion:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Thank you!

18. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +723
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Rights and protections for a job which is inherently degrading to women. Riiight.

19. Woberts

Woberts The Perfumed Seneschal

Ratings:
    +1,849
    Religion:
    Terminus Est.
    Same principle, same result on a different discriminatory axis.

20. adrian009

Ratings:
    +5,459
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    • Like Like x 1