• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I agree, that makes sense - usually one thing follows or copies another, and evolves with generations etc. - and what it does is establish the fact that there is an origin of God.
The question is, is it an idea that just popped into some dudes head, or is it an actual experience people had with a real God?

What do you mean? You mean the origin of beliefs in Apollo and such?

Ciao

- viole

nPeace

Veteran Member
What do you mean? You mean the origin of beliefs in Apollo and such?

Ciao

- viole
If you want to use Apollo.
I mean the origin of God - whichever.
Whatever comes to your mind is okay. It will be based nonetheless on what you hear, or come to know of.

The fact is, either it's an idea that just popped into some dudes head, or it's an actual experience people had with a real God?

Do you have any other option? Or is your pick, the former?
If it is, why? What evidence do you have that it is the former? Just a guess right? ...and your guess is as good as the other person. Right?

That's different to a believer. They don't guess. Why not?
They have three sets of evidence - 1. A historical record - the Bible, which they find evidence of it's reliability. 2. Evidence from artifacts of past civilizations. 3. Evidence from creation.
Each of these three witnesses collaborate.

Of course we can't prove it, nor can anyone disprove it, but it's more reasonable imo, than just guessing based on nothing substantial, and perhaps closing our minds to the later option, which is highly probable, due to perhaps having a biased opinion.

Does this sound reasonable?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you want to use Apollo.
I mean the origin of God - whichever.
Whatever comes to your mind is okay. It will be based nonetheless on what you hear, or come to know of.

The fact is, either it's an idea that just popped into some dudes head, or it's an actual experience people had with a real God?

Do you have any other option? Or is your pick, the former?
If it is, why? What evidence do you have that it is the former? Just a guess right? ...and your guess is as good as the other person. Right?

That's different to a believer. They don't guess. Why not?
They have three sets of evidence - 1. A historical record - the Bible, which they find evidence of it's reliability. 2. Evidence from artifacts of past civilizations. 3. Evidence from creation.
Each of these three witnesses collaborate.

Of course we can't prove it, nor can anyone disprove it, but it's more reasonable imo, than just guessing based on nothing substantial, and perhaps closing our minds to the later option, which is highly probable, due to perhaps having a biased opinion.

Does this sound reasonable?

I wonder how you can call reliable a book that says on page one total scientific absurdities that even a third grader would detect.

True, if we demote obvious absurdities to figurative language or metaphors, like liberal Christians like to do, then every book is reliable. By using that trick, I could make Pinocchio reliable, and show thereby that the Blue Fairy has evidence to exist.

And by the way, when you say “evidence from creation” you are begging the question. You are assuming that the Universe has been created, which is circular thinking.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Semisonic

"Everything that has a beginning has an end..." - The Oracle

It is generally agreed upon both in scripture and in science that there is a beginning (no, this thread isn't about EvC) and that there will be an end. The human race began and like many other species, will ultimately become extinct.

It is commonly known in the scientific community that the sun will become a red giant and will ultimately envelop the earth. But I think it's quite likely that the human race will become extinct long before this occurs.

Scientifically or religiously, how do you think will we meet our end? What lies beyond?
I don't really tend to think of it as an end.

Rather I think of things as a falling apart and rearrangement throughout the continuum.