• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm ambivalent. I believe in it in principle, but I don't trust the system to get the people who need killing, or spare the innocent.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I'm against it. There is no reason to kill someone other than revenge, and govt should be in the business of justice, not revenge.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That some people are beyond rehabilitation and need to be eliminated. Child molestors, serial killers, that kind of evil.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
That some people are beyond rehabilitation and need to be eliminated. Child molestors, serial killers, that kind of evil.
I agree that some people are beyond rehabilitation. I don't see how it automatically follows that they "need to be eliminated."

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I agree that some people are beyond rehabilitation. I don't see how it automatically follows that they "need to be eliminated."
If a dog is rabid, you put it down and cry for it once the threat is removed.

I realize that some people might consider my views on this barbaric, and I don't really care.

+Xausted

That's something society has to determine together. If your asking my opinion, I've already given examples.
Although I will concede with serial killers (I dont actually but that shall come later:D), the definition of child molesters has some blurry edges, so you have to either give me a better example or clarify your point more concisly for me.

Aqualung

Tasty
Allowing the death penalty means that my life is a priveledge, not a right. The government is nice enough to allow me to live as long as it sees fit, but also able to take my life when I make it mad. I don't concede to any government that absolute power over me, so I don't agree with the death penalty.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Although I will concede with serial killers (I dont actually but that shall come later:D), the definition of child molesters has some blurry edges, so you have to either give me a better example or clarify your point more concisly for me.
Adults who sexually abuse children.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
I'm against it. As lIlithu mentioned, the only purpose it serves is for revenge. It doesn't deter crime and our justice system is too flawed for it to continue. Who knows how many people have been put to death for crimes they didn't commit. I also don't believe that the death penalty is applied evenly. A person is much more likely to get the death penalty for killing a member of the upper or middle class than someone from the lower class.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....

I realize that some people might consider my views on this barbaric, and I don't really care.

The threat is removed from society once the person is behind bars, so why is it necessary to kill them?

+Xausted

Adults who sexually abuse children.
Unfortunatly (as much as I agree that any child should never be touched) this is not a consise defintion. THERE ARE PEOPLE IN JAIL FOR HAVING SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH MINORS EVEN THOUGH THAT MINOR MAY HAVE BEEN 14/15 OR SO AT THE TIME (whoops, sorry about the caps) and fully entered into the situation. This is just the begining of were the edges blur...

gnomon

Whats your thoughts on it?

I've been seriously considering that the practice should be utilized only against public officials who violate the public trust in an egregious manner.

Putting my frustration aside...I do not condone the practice.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Unfortunatly (as much as I agree that any child should never be touched) this is not a consise defintion. THERE ARE PEOPLE IN JAIL FOR HAVING SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH MINORS EVEN THOUGH THAT MINOR MAY HAVE BEEN 14/15 OR SO AT THE TIME (whoops, sorry about the caps) and fully entered into the situation. This is just the begining of were the edges blur...
Not minors, children. Prepubescent children. I'm talking about sexual predators here, not some domb teenager whose girlfriend's dad got ******.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
But we're not talking about a dog. We're talking about a human being. And as Aqualung said, if you think that someone can do something to lose the right to live, then it means that life if a privilege, not a right. My opposition to the death penalty isn't out of sympathy for the offenders. My motivation is to protect the right to life.