• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dead Know Nothing

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If a person is spiritually dead are they close minded to their own spiritual state?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I must be a Zombie if that's the case. I know plenty others too.
do you believe some folks aren't aware of themselves. they react from unconsciousness? or only aware of self objectively in a mirror but then subjectively only recognize self when the mirror is removed?

Altfish

Veteran Member
do you believe some folks aren't aware of themselves. they react from unconsciousness? or only aware of self objectively in a mirror but then subjectively only recognize self when the mirror is removed?
Not sure I even understand the question.
I'm aware of myself, I'm conscious (during waking hours!!)
I have mirrors in the bathroom, bedroom and the hall - but that's only to check that I put my tie on correctly, not got food down me, etc.

Milton Platt

If a person is spiritually dead are they close minded to their own spiritual state?

think the quote in your tagline is from Solomon, isn't it? He was contrasting the (actual) living with the (actual) dead. Nothing is said of spirituality in the passage.

Earthling

David Henson
Do i have a spiritual state? I think not, i pride myself on reality

Why would the spiritual not be a part of reality. Spirit only means what is invisible yet produces results. Wind, breath, mental inclination. A mean spirited person is someone who is mean. It's mental inclination. To raise your spirits means to make you feel better, more happy. Nothing unrealistic about that. I think unbelievers tend to think of spirituality as being some fairy tale religious nonsense, and for good reason. The misleading religious nonsense that is usually associated with it, but the Bible writers didn't present it that way. Invisible active forces in our lives could be any sort of subtle influence that we can't see but that has some influence or effect upon us. Tradition, culture, even looking at a piece of art, listening to music. Something that effects us in a way that isn't visible.

The only aspect of the spirit that should be problematic to atheists are supernatural. Ghosts, angels, God. The Greek word for spirit is pneuma, from which comes English words like pneumonia and pneumatic.

Milton Platt

Why would the spiritual not be a part of reality. Spirit only means what is invisible yet produces results. Wind, breath, mental inclination. A mean spirited person is someone who is mean. It's mental inclination. To raise your spirits means to make you feel better, more happy. Nothing unrealistic about that. I think unbelievers tend to think of spirituality as being some fairy tale religious nonsense, and for good reason. The misleading religious nonsense that is usually associated with it, but the Bible writers didn't present it that way. Invisible active forces in our lives could be any sort of subtle influence that we can't see but that has some influence or effect upon us. Tradition, culture, even looking at a piece of art, listening to music. Something that effects us in a way that isn't visible.

The only aspect of the spirit that should be problematic to atheists are supernatural. Ghosts, angels, God. The Greek word for spirit is pneuma, from which comes English words like pneumonia and pneumatic.

This thread is posted under “religious debates”, which leads one to assume the religious use of the word is intended.
Of course you are correct to point out that the word, like many other words, has multiple meanings. It would be helpful for the person using the word to provide his particular meaning when using to avoid people talking past each other.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Spiritual : relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

No mention of results,

Wind and breath are not spiritual but physical

Mental well-being can be measured as chemicals acting on the brain, chemicals are physical

Oh, and atheist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
No mention of spiritual there

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Seems to me at 2 Thessalonians 2:10-11 that God allows for a closed-minded error if they love the lie.
Love the lie by putting their own desires first - 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you want to get a meaningful answer, you have define "spiritually dead".
Yes, to me a definition would be helpful.
Some people seem to have a 'spiritual void'. Scripture does Not interest them. They set their own standards.
Others I find end up 'spiritually dried up' to the point Scripture/religion means little or nothing.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Not sure I even understand the question.
I'm aware of myself, I'm conscious (during waking hours!!)
I have mirrors in the bathroom, bedroom and the hall - but that's only to check that I put my tie on correctly, not got food down me, etc.
yes, but can you see yourself in others. like the golden rule can you see how it is self in others?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Do i have a spiritual state? I think not, i pride myself on reality

so you're saying you're completely unaware of your mental state, your ego in relationship to another's; when dealing with others?

mental is a synonym for spiritual.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
think the quote in your tagline is from Solomon, isn't it? He was contrasting the (actual) living with the (actual) dead. Nothing is said of spirituality in the passage.

i take it to mean that some people don't have a clue that their response isn't necessarily normal in relationship to what is going on at the moment.

its the difference between enlightened and not understanding, or ever seeing but never perceiving.

see?

2ndpillar

yes, but can you see yourself in others. like the golden rule can you see how it is self in others?

The golden rule is to do unto others as you would have them do to you. If you watch the news, what you often see is "others" possessed by demons. Do you see yourself as possessed by demons?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
so you're saying you're completely unaware of your mental state, your ego in relationship to another's; when dealing with others?

mental is a synonym for spiritual.

No, i am saying i am completely aware of my mental state and have no need to hide it behind woo

No, mental the function of as persons brain, mind which operates by the action of chemicals on receptor's