• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curse of "converts"

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vannakkam,

Thank you for your answers !

As for some sort of unique guide for newcomers, would side with @Vinayaka on this one, for three reasons:
- Guides technically exists already (technically because specifics to some sampraday)
- Each story is different. Each temple's customs, each Hindu. It is impossible to reduce it all to "basics/universal customs" because there are way too much of them, and sometimes contradictory. It would accentuate confusion on newcomers.
- Some sort of "book of rules and customs" would probably also accentuate the feeling of being "not good enough Hindu" or "bad Hindu" for petty reasons. For exemple, one custom is to wash hands while entering the temple... Some Hindus/temples do that, some don't. There is no problem with that at all, most Hindu will just shrug and carry on his/her business. For a newcomer who've seen this as a rule in a book and can't or forget to do it on a visit, it would generate guilt and prevent him/her to carry on.
Same for Dharma, I agree there are some basics... But yet it is all way too diverse and sometimes contradictory.

It would, however, be very interesting to compile all knowledge and customs we can... Just for cultural reasons. I would enjoy a lot reading about the regional differences in customs and practices, etc...

Aum Namah Shivaya

Shantanu

Vannakkam,

Thank you for your answers !

As for some sort of unique guide for newcomers, would side with @Vinayaka on this one, for three reasons:
- Guides technically exists already (technically because specifics to some sampraday)
- Each story is different. Each temple's customs, each Hindu. It is impossible to reduce it all to "basics/universal customs" because there are way too much of them, and sometimes contradictory. It would accentuate confusion on newcomers.
- Some sort of "book of rules and customs" would probably also accentuate the feeling of being "not good enough Hindu" or "bad Hindu" for petty reasons. For exemple, one custom is to wash hands while entering the temple... Some Hindus/temples do that, some don't. There is no problem with that at all, most Hindu will just shrug and carry on his/her business. For a newcomer who've seen this as a rule in a book and can't or forget to do it on a visit, it would generate guilt and prevent him/her to carry on.
Same for Dharma, I agree there are some basics... But yet it is all way too diverse and sometimes contradictory.

It would, however, be very interesting to compile all knowledge and customs we can... Just for cultural reasons. I would enjoy a lot reading about the regional differences in customs and practices, etc...

Aum Namah Shivaya
In Hinduism one is allowed a lot of personal freedom to chose what practices suits one. It is no business of any other Hindu to comment on another Hindu's suitability as a Hindu as to whether one is being a good Hindu or good-enough Hindu. If you must belong to a sampradaya however you would have to accept the authority of that sampradaya to dictate terms to you on whether you should wash your hands or not before entering a sacred place. A good Hindu will question the validity of belonging to a sampradaya and accepting the control of a guru.

Hinduism is the ultimate in individuality in the choices of beliefs as long as you can rationalise it and justify it to your self.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'll be taking a training workshop in a few weeks offered by HAF. They are teaching people to be "Dharma Ambassadors" or representatives from the community that can go to schools and colleges and speak about Hinduism. The training preps learners with information of various tricky topics in Hinduism, so at the very least, I'm hoping to get more acquainted with my own beliefs =)

I will be really curious about this as well, Fireside. I'd certainly like to hear your experiences about the course, and then what happens after. Where to reach out, who to talk to (hospital pastoral offices?, for example) If you do get the training, just how do you go about using it, in other words, all the practical side.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Upon further reflection ... One of the other challenges, as I see it, is that there is just so very much to learn. Here's an incomplete list of some of it, and some of the big life decisions in there.

Temples, temple protocol, variance between temples, all the little customs,
Music, bhajans, devotion,.
Home shrines, what to do, how to worship, when, what Gods, all that, basic Sanskrit
Books what to read, which scripture, which teachers,
Teachers What courses to take, whose words to read
Food Vegetarian or not, all the ethnic Indian food you encounter
Clothing What to wear, when to wear it, what accessories, etc.
Virtues Which attitudes to adopt

Our faith is so intricate, so complex, so multifaceted, that no wonder it gets complicated, and takes a lot of time. It's also so very very different from western faiths. Just simple things like getting used to sitting on the floor in houses of worship can be so 'new'.

Much different than 'converting' to a western faith, where basically it's a book and some people.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I will be really curious about this as well, Fireside. I'd certainly like to hear your experiences about the course, and then what happens after. Where to reach out, who to talk to (hospital pastoral offices?, for example) If you do get the training, just how do you go about using it, in other words, all the practical side.

From my understanding based on the brief description given to me, the idea is to educate members of the community on how to speak about Hinduism in front of institutions like universities, schools and other religious groups, in particular how to answer questions about "sticky" subjects like caste. Once the training is complete, the regional director basically calls for volunteers to speak at certain events and this can be as often as someone is willing to speak. I'll create a separate thread to update everyone on how it goes. The training is next Sunday.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Great Discussion!

I find that I'm learning to "chill" more often. I still worry about "being tested" - as in someone questioning me about what I know about how to be a "good Hindu" and not knowing all (or any!) of the answers. But time and time again, people are mostly just curious and kind.

A sticky question I was asked only in Friday was this; 'how can you practice a religion if you don't understand the language?'. To which I responded with 'majority of Catholics don't understand Latin, ancient Aramaic or ancient Greek but they're still Christians'.

Just because a person doesn't understand the liturgical language doesn't mean she cannot find other ways to understand!

Jai Ma!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. as in someone questioning me about what I know about how to be a "good Hindu" ..
One simple answer - He/she is following his/her 'dharma'.
Just simple things like getting used to sitting on the floor in houses of worship can be so 'new'.
Or lounging in the mandapa behind some pillar or against some wall to soak in peace an nearness of the deity, most enjoyable. It is considered a must here after the darshan with children playing around making noise. You would find many people doing that. No one leaves immediately after darshan unless there is some particular reason.

local-people-resting-on-temple-steps-at-durbar-square-statue-of-garuda-f50590.jpg

Temple in Darbar Square, Nepal
people-sleeping-resting-in-nayakar-hall-in-sri-meenakshi-amman-temple-CE649J.jpg
Meenakshi Amman temple, Madurai
harmandir-sahib.jpg

Darbar Sahib temple, Amritsar (Protocol: only your feet should not point towards the deity)
More at: people resting in the temple - Google Search:

Last edited:

carmenara

I am new to Hinduism and I have various seniors informing and even encouraging me to learn and explore on my own.

In Hinduism one is allowed a lot of personal freedom to chose what practices suits one. It is no business of any other Hindu to comment on another Hindu's suitability as a Hindu as to whether one is being a good Hindu or good-enough Hindu. If you must belong to a sampradaya however you would have to accept the authority of that sampradaya to dictate terms to you on whether you should wash your hands or not before entering a sacred place. A good Hindu will question the validity of belonging to a sampradaya and accepting the control of a guru.

Hinduism is the ultimate in individuality in the choices of beliefs as long as you can rationalise it and justify it to your self.

I found myself doing just that.

I disliked people telling me to measure how many minutes I chant and how much of the books I've read. Those are irrelevant... Reading the entire Bhagavad Gita in one night wouldn't magically make me a good Hindu right? So far I am following my heart and a lot of new paths have opened and nice new friends to talk to.

carmenara

I attended my first grand Puja at a Durga temple this morning :)

All went well and I felt very comfortable throughout. There's still a lot to consider and contemplate on newfound possibilities and a whole world to explore - and perhaps a bit of responsibility as well. I've left a bigger story in the other thread about temple visits if anyone wants to read.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
I gotta say, while I'm not as familiar with the complexities of Hinduism compared to some of the other Dharmic Religions, it is perhaps my favorite (as so many elements feel connected in various ways with elements of Gnosticism/Hermeticism and Thelema), I feel very fond of it from an outsider's perspective.

If I was to follow/believe in any theistic religions, Hinduism would likely be it :)

.....and I'm always here to keep learning :cool:

carmenara

I gotta say, while I'm not as familiar with the complexities of Hinduism compared to some of the other Dharmic Religions, it is perhaps my favorite (as so many elements feel connected in various ways with elements of Gnosticism/Hermeticism and Thelema), I feel very fond of it from an outsider's perspective.

If I was to follow/believe in any theistic religions, Hinduism would likely be it :)

.....and I'm always here to keep learning :cool:

Ive uhh, randomly stumbled into the welcoming embrance of Hinduism and Indian culture several months ago, and each month I've a different story of a different diety to tell and how devotion to each had contributed in no small measure to my well being :)

It's magical that I don't ever have to elaborate or explain my experiences.

A radical change from being brought up in a close-minded materialistic society which I always wanted an escape from.

Hoping you shall find the same measure of joy, knowledge and comfort that I have found :)

carmenara

It's nice to find a community that is accepting of me, both online and offline.

I feel I should start chronicling these stories and making them completely anonymous and genderless so it is not possible to see them as anything other than the blessings and teachings of a previous age of knowledge, wisdom and divinity that used to walk amongst us.

The way my life turned around from poor and downtrodden to being recognized on sight by people I don't know is a complete 180 degree change and I have utmost respect for the inspiration and the unseen forces involved. A gift that appeared one day when I was lost and found "disappearing" from existence might be the best thing to do at the time.

I was thinking of writing all that, since this month my theme is Maa Saraswati, hen add my travel experiences to India and keep it as a travel blog and share it with the world. Surely I would not make ONE single trip to India when I want to see the most incredible Durga Mashishasura Mardini statue in Kolkata someone shared in another thread :)

Visiting India for spirituality and to pay respects to its diverse and deep history and also to dispel false myths and stereotypes perpetuated by materialism and misunderstanding in the modern world. And the fact that people involved in materialistic gain are the ones strongly opposed to my taking (my first ever) vacation, merits another Mahabharata-style saga in dealing with them myself and fixing it so everyone will learn how to work around these problems.

As with all things with a unique perspective on life, either no one will believe it and pass it off as some modern fantasy book, or it will be the most controversial blog of all time.

I actually find I'm not afraid of both outcomes. So I will do it... because I feel very exceptionally, specially inspired this week after Saraswati Puja (that very few attended).

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's nice to find a community that is accepting of me, both online and offline.

I feel I should start chronicling these stories and making them completely anonymous and genderless so it is not possible to see them as anything other than the blessings and teachings of a previous age of knowledge, wisdom and divinity that used to walk amongst us.

The way my life turned around from poor and downtrodden to being recognized on sight by people I don't know is a complete 180 degree change and I have utmost respect for the inspiration and the unseen forces involved. A gift that appeared one day when I was lost and found "disappearing" from existence might be the best thing to do at the time.

I was thinking of writing all that, since this month my theme is Maa Saraswati, hen add my travel experiences to India and keep it as a travel blog and share it with the world. Surely I would not make ONE single trip to India when I want to see the most incredible Durga Mashishasura Mardini statue in Kolkata someone shared in another thread :)

Visiting India for spirituality and to pay respects to its diverse and deep history and also to dispel false myths and stereotypes perpetuated by materialism and misunderstanding in the modern world. And the fact that people involved in materialistic gain are the ones strongly opposed to my taking (my first ever) vacation, merits another Mahabharata-style saga in dealing with them myself and fixing it so everyone will learn how to work around these problems.

As with all things with a unique perspective on life, either no one will believe it and pass it off as some modern fantasy book, or it will be the most controversial blog of all time.

I actually find I'm not afraid of both outcomes. So I will do it... because I feel very exceptionally, specially inspired this week after Saraswati Puja (that very few attended).
You may like this book
India

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip. I would warn you though, there is a lot of materialism in India too. Too much idealization may cause disappointment. Not sure when you are coming. But Holi is around the corner. It's 2nd March and should be colorful in Delhi.

carmenara

You may like this book
India

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your trip. I would warn you though, there is a lot of materialism in India too. Too much idealization may cause disappointment. Not sure when you are coming. But Holi is around the corner. It's 2nd March and should be colorful in Delhi.

Yes I shall get the book :)

I have more or less settled the planning for my trip to Delhi, I may also extend my stay for 3 additional days free and easy - I would like to experience more of the 'soul' of India and that would be the nicest way to do it.

I will be celebrating Holi in Singapore where a team of musicians frequently are inviting me to their events. Anything ranging from Aigiri Nandini to Sufis to ghoomar music they seem to enjoy having me perform for them. For Holi they shall be playing Rajasthani music specially for me and it seems this has become my part time job :)

Some years back I tended to be quite afraid to visit crowded places like the 'Little India' here but I seem to get along very well now with the expats and migrants living here. Infact I don't mix much with people outside 'Little' India. I was just strolling out for lunch the other day and a lady I know ran up and gifted me with a golden scarf. I was like. Wow.

I'm hoping big Delhi is more of the same and noisier (and more fun). Not worrying too much about peoples' perceptions - everyone has their own interests.

I just like proving that a Chinese person can respect and fit in to another culture perfectly with none of the predjudice I have been forced to witness growing up. These days people are not even knowing my nationality or race... I shall pick my own lol.

I am just treading a bit carefully on the religious side of things - I get the most interesting looks (of admiration/fear) when I talk about Aigiri Nandini, spiritual meditation and yes, my workplace insists on giving me all sorts of random gifts and pieces of wisdom from their homeland it feels like living a story from the Mahabharata (we all know which one lol!)

Even so, it's very humbling for me so I am wanting to participate and learn more. I inherited the pleasantly shy outlook of the friend of mine that gave me the golden scarf, it seems!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I shall get the book :)

I have more or less settled the planning for my trip to Delhi, I may also extend my stay for 3 additional days free and easy - I would like to experience more of the 'soul' of India and that would be the nicest way to do it.

I will be celebrating Holi in Singapore where a team of musicians frequently are inviting me to their events. Anything ranging from Aigiri Nandini to Sufis to ghoomar music they seem to enjoy having me perform for them. For Holi they shall be playing Rajasthani music specially for me and it seems this has become my part time job :)

Some years back I tended to be quite afraid to visit crowded places like the 'Little India' here but I seem to get along very well now with the expats and migrants living here. Infact I don't mix much with people outside 'Little' India. I was just strolling out for lunch the other day and a lady I know ran up and gifted me with a golden scarf. I was like. Wow.

I'm hoping big Delhi is more of the same and noisier (and more fun). Not worrying too much about peoples' perceptions - everyone has their own interests.

I just like proving that a Chinese person can respect and fit in to another culture perfectly with none of the predjudice I have been forced to witness growing up. These days people are not even knowing my nationality or race... I shall pick my own lol.

I am just treading a bit carefully on the religious side of things - I get the most interesting looks (of admiration/fear) when I talk about Aigiri Nandini, spiritual meditation and yes, my workplace insists on giving me all sorts of random gifts and pieces of wisdom from their homeland it feels like living a story from the Mahabharata (we all know which one lol!)

Even so, it's very humbling for me so I am wanting to participate and learn more. I inherited the pleasantly shy outlook of the friend of mine that gave me the golden scarf, it seems!
Wish you the very best for your trip. :)