• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Crimes of God

omega2xx

Whether or not the Buddha claimed to be superior to God/god(s), or if a god claimed superiority is largely irrelevant to me. My position is this:

(My premise, personally verified) : Since the Buddhist teachings concur with my personal experience, and I personally know that the teachings are enlightened,
(My conclusion) : therefore I conclude that the individual who originated and/or taught those teachings is an enlightened one (aka "Buddha").

Or, in short: Dhamma (teachings) -> therefore Buddha.

The reverse does not hold true to me; that is:

(Premise, which I cannot personally verify) : the claim that because the source is presumably enlightened (e.g. "God", a prophet, etc.),
(Conclusion) therefore its alleged scriptures/teachings must also be enlightened (e.g. "Bible", "Koran", "Kitabi Aqdas", "Vedas", etc.)

"God" -> therefore scripture/teachings.

Personal feeling can be very deceptive and you have no way to very if Buddha's teachings are enlightened. If they make you feel spiritual comfortable, that is your decision to follow them. lol

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I know it sounds rediculous for holding bugs bunny to blame. Can you "understand" that is how Some non believers think You are doing when you tell them they are blaming god? If you told me I am blaming god for my problems, Id scratch my head and wonder who exactly are you talking about.

You dont have to equate god to anyone.

Can you put yourself in

Other people's shoes

And see how THEY compare god not how you do or want to?
It brings to mind a poster I used to see when I was younger......
a mouse flipping off the eagle as the talons of the bird are about to take hold

belief is not required that there be a God

God was around long before any other life form

Someone had to be First

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It brings to mind a poster I used to see when I was younger......
a mouse flipping off the eagle as the talons of the bird are about to take hold

belief is not required that there be a God

God was around long before any other life form

Someone had to be First

How does this relate to my confusion of you saying people are blaming a god that doesn't exist?

If anything, to me it makes no sense because god does not exist. How can you blame an non-existent; we agreed on that. I'm hoping you understand it now, right?

On your side, of course it would be off because you do believe god exist. That's besides the point.

:fallenleaf:

Maybe I try to be understanding at heart. I figure that's unconditional love even if it cause me impatience. Sometimes it can backfire because maybe you don't want to understand. I don't know that. Do you want to understand people who do not agree with you? If not, please let me know.

I don't want to have a discussion if both of us are not learning anything from it by taking into consideration each other's views as true or understanding. I've lived with christians all my life. So, I'm always in your guys shoes. Two JW and a few Catholics were in mine and that is rare. Very rare.

buddhist

Personal feeling can be very deceptive and you have no way to very if Buddha's teachings are enlightened. If they make you feel spiritual comfortable, that is your decision to follow them. lol
It's not simply about feeling; there are very specific waymarkers indicated in the Buddhist scriptures regarding various jhanic (meditative) accomplishments, which I have verified for myself. And, I know that the Buddha's teachings are enlightened, because I know them for myself.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think God owes a lot of child support. Round here they take your drivers licence for everything.
God: Yo, guuuurrrllll, you gonna get knocked up. It'll be sweet.
Mary: I'm, like, twelve. Girls don't have any rights in this society.
God: Gotchu covered, sis: I got this sweet guy who's gonna hook you up.
Mary: But he's going to disappear from the story completely after a few scenes....

Blackdog22

Why would God be angry if the Egyptians set the Jews free? That is what God sent Moses to do.

It seems you are the one who has not rad the story. You still don't know "God's motive, so rjudgment is of no value.

Omega... You really haven't read the story have you? He sent Moses to set the Jews free from the Pharaoh at the time, likely Thutmose II, who was also presumably a brother of Moses if I recall correctly. When Moses asked for the Jews to be set free on Gods behalf the Pharaoh denied his request. Because of this God sent many plagues to convince the Pharaoh to release the Jews, all of which were denied until the last plague, the one that resulted in the deaths of every first born in Egypt. This final plague resulted in the freedom of the Jews at the time according to the Bible (which makes no sense historically but lets pretend for a moment). According to your own book that you should have read, Gods motive was specifically stated as the release of the Jews under Egyptian law so they could enter the promised land. This was pretty much the core of the Old Testament and it boggles my mind that you have no idea how the story goes or why it happened.

If we want to get into a deeply immoral understanding of this story we could also look at the fact that it says, "But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses. - Exodus 9:12" In the end it looks like God simply wanted to brutally kill a bunch of kids, while also taking away Pharaoh's free will. One has to wonder, if God could harden the heart of Pharaoh, why wouldn't he just soften it instead. This time, there is no free will card to use, as the story shows God has no problem messing with peoples free will.

I am sure you will ignore your own book and what it actually says so im sure I am just wasting my breath here on scriptural fact. I will however answer your questions as best as I can.

Why would God be angry if the Egyptians set the Jews free? That is what God sent Moses to do.

He was angry before the the Jews were set free... His wrath is why they were set free, im not even sure why Moses was needed, you will have to take that one up with God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think God owes a lot of child support. Round here they take your drivers licence for everything.
...of such as these (children) is made the kingdom of heaven

It's the angelic having sword in hand that you have to look out for

idav

Being
Premium Member
...of such as these (children) is made the kingdom of heaven

It's the angelic having sword in hand that you have to look out for
e3e204585b7402b0e2b934628bf6d238.jpg

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I saw the movie.....I liked it

How about ....Micheal.....starring John Travolta?

but more to topic....
they cannot be avoided
and I don't believe they like us
is it a crime when they do God's will?

the movie Dogma....is also a winner

omega2xx

It's not simply about feeling; there are very specific waymarkers indicated in the Buddhist scriptures regarding various jhanic (meditative) accomplishments, which I have verified for myself. And, I know that the Buddha's teachings are enlightened, because I know them for myself.

If they make you feel spiritually comfortable, fine. I would just not feel comfortable with teaching from one who is not a God.

omega2xx

Omega... You really haven't read the story have you? He sent Moses to set the Jews free from the Pharaoh at the time, likely Thutmose II, who was also presumably a brother of Moses if I recall correctly. When Moses asked for the Jews to be set free on Gods behalf the Pharaoh denied his request. Because of this God sent many plagues to convince the Pharaoh to release the Jews, all of which were denied until the last plague, the one that resulted in the deaths of every first born in Egypt. This final plague resulted in the freedom of the Jews at the time according to the Bible (which makes no sense historically but lets pretend for a moment). According to your own book that you should have read, Gods motive was specifically stated as the release of the Jews under Egyptian law so they could enter the promised land. This was pretty much the core of the Old Testament and it boggles my mind that you have no idea how the story goes or why it happened.

Let me assure you I have read the story and probably more than you have. I also teach Exodi8s to adults. The story makes sense to those who understand it. You still haven't answered the question, "why would God be angry over the Jews being released from their bondage.

If we want to get into a deeply immoral understanding of this story we could also look at the fact that it says, "But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said to Moses. - Exodus 9:12" In the end it looks like God simply wanted to brutally kill a bunch of kids, while also taking away Pharaoh's free will. One has to wonder, if God could harden the heart of Pharaoh, why wouldn't he just soften it instead. This time, there is no free will card to use, as the story shows God has no problem messing with peoples free will.[/QUOTE]

you have read it but you have not understood it. Early in the story Pharaoh hardened his own heart. If he had not done so, and obeyed God, the rest of the plagues would not have been necessary. So don't blame God for what Pharaoh did.

I am sure you will ignore your own book and what it actually says so im sure I am just wasting my breath here on scriptural fact. I will however answer your questions as best as I can.

Why do you not recognize Pharaoh hardened his own heart? That is a Scriptural FACT, you have missed or ignored.

He was angry before the the Jews were set free... His wrath is why they were set free, im not even sure why Moses was needed, you will have to take that one up with God.

If you understood the account, you would understand why God. used Moses. If you have any question, I will give you a Biblical answer.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How do you know what Buddha tells you is true, especially when he was not a God or even a god?
That's one thing I admire about Buddhism. The Buddha, The Enlightened One, or the Dalai Lama, though revered are still human and they don't pretend such divinity. To them, it's really not very important if the Buddha is dogmatically correct or not, nothing like it is to a Christian who's entire faith is based squarely and solely upon the word of God being true. To a Buddhist, that's not the point.

omega2xx

That's one thing I admire about Buddhism. The Buddha, The Enlightened One, or the Dalai Lama, though revered are still human and they don't pretend such divinity. To them, it's really not very important if the Buddha is dogmatically correct or not, nothing like it is to a Christian who's entire faith is based squarely and solely upon the word of God being true. To a Buddhist, that's not the point.

You can't learn the truth if your god is not a God. Our entire faith is based on the Bi le being God's inspired word. That is a good thing. God doe snot pretend to be divine, He says He is. That is the kind of God I want to teach me divine truth.