• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Crimes of God

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
make a list and the appropriate penalty

you might include a means of applying your judgment

He killed an innocent person, Jesus. God hates when the innocent are punished and the guilty exonerated.

There is no penalty, though, since a law higher than "don't punish the innocent" prevailed, namely, love.

omega2xx

His motive was that the Egyptians set the Jews free.

Why would God be angry if the Egyptians set the Jews free? That is what God sent Moses to do.

Have you not read the story Omega? Its quite popular and no, its not a good reason to murder children. Repaying evil with evil is one of the worst moral practices in the Bible and God seems to take great pleasure in such activity.

It seems you are the one who has not rad the story. You still don't know "God's motive, so rjudgment is of no value.

omega2xx

If I can't judge your god as evil, then neither can you judge him as good.

You can judge Him anyway you want to but unless you understand why He does something, you judgment is wrong. I judge Him as good because the Bible says He is.

Are you suggesting that your god does not get vexed, grieved, wearied, angry, etc., even when those words are directly in those verses?

Of course He gets angry. It is unnatural not to get angry about some things. He gets wearied about His people continually forgetting Him. He gets grieved over the sins of His people. That doe snot mean He is unstable.

To follow such a god, seems rather sad to me.

It did to me until I understood better. You wouldn't follow Him if everything in the Bible about Him was super positive.

buddhist

You can judge Him anyway you want to but unless you understand why He does something, you judgment is wrong. I judge Him as good because the Bible says He is.
How do you know that the bible is telling you the truth?

Of course He gets angry. It is unnatural not to get angry about some things. He gets wearied about His people continually forgetting Him. He gets grieved over the sins of His people. That doe snot mean He is unstable.
I judge him as unstable because the Buddhist scriptures says that's characteristic of beings driven by emotion. ;)

It did to me until I understood better. You wouldn't follow Him if everything in the Bible about Him was super positive.
So you admit that there are negatives about your god, in your bible?

omega2xx

How do you know that the bible is telling you the truth?

There is an internal knowing the Bible is all true. That doe snot mean everything i understand about it is true.

I judge him as unstable because the Buddhist scriptures says that's characteristic of beings driven by emotion. ;)

How do you know what Buddha tells you is true, especially when he was not a God or even a god?

So you admit there are negatives about God?

No, just perceived negatives from unbelievers.

buddhist

There is an internal knowing the Bible is all true. That doe snot mean everything i understand about it is true. How do you know what Buddha tells you is true, especially when he was not a God or even a god?
As far as I've trained myself to walk the Buddhist path, I know his teachings are true for myself through personal experience & knowledge.

The gods worshipped the Buddha as he was recognized to be superior to them, in the Buddhist scriptures.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I dont want my answer to change the course of the topic. Do you understand where we are coming from first?
I was focused on where we are going

the topic is shallow for you without a belief in God

If God is a criminal.......and we stand in His court
what then of us?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If I can't judge your god as evil, then neither can you judge him as good.

Are you suggesting that your god does not get vexed, grieved, wearied, angry, etc., even when those words are directly in those verses?

To follow such a god, seems rather sad to me.
we are discussing the Almighty (any name will do)

and in that scheme of things.....and He be a criminal....
what is His crime and so what?.....of our judgement

Thief

Rogue Theologian
He killed an innocent person, Jesus. God hates when the innocent are punished and the guilty exonerated.

There is no penalty, though, since a law higher than "don't punish the innocent" prevailed, namely, love.
was it not Jesus who said....
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
and no law is greater

how would this be applied when facing God?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was focused on where we are going

the topic is shallow for you without a belief in God

If God is a criminal.......and we stand in His court
what then of us?

The topic isn't shallow. I don't care for math; but, if I want to understand an equation, my opinion, feelings, and concerns about math have nothing to do with how the equation is solved, question, and answer to it. If that be the case, those going into their degree programs should only take classes that aren't shallow to them. College doesn't work that way nor does life.

So, in that respect, I am interested in all religious thought. God ordered to kill and god did kill. Whether he is a criminal or not, that depends on who you talking to.

Do you understand where I am coming from when you say some people blame god when to many people (not you-many other people) god does not exist?

How can you blame something that does not exist? (Not someone. Not god. Just an odd ball invisible object)

buddhist

we are discussing the Almighty (any name will do)

and in that scheme of things.....and He be a criminal....
what is His crime and so what?.....of our judgement
My judgment: "Crimes associated with the act of creation, including all the suffering associated with all of creation. Implicit in the very act of creation is the implication that 'more' is better (maximalism), yet 'more' does not quench anyone's thirst, but only fuels it for 'even more'."

omega2xx

As far as I've trained myself to walk the Buddhist path, I know his teachings are true for myself through personal experience & knowledge.

So why do you not believe my experience with the patgh of God is not the right way?

The gods worshipped the Buddha as he was recognized to be superior to them, in the Buddhist scriptures.

Why would god's worship that which was not a god? How can that which is not a god, be superior to that which is a god?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My judgment: "Crimes associated with the act of creation, including all the suffering associated with all of creation. Implicit in the very act of creation is the implication that 'more' is better (maximalism), yet 'more' does not quench anyone's thirst, but only fuels it for 'even more'."
so God is guilty of creating ......want

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The topic isn't shallow. I don't care for math; but, if I want to understand an equation, my opinion, feelings, and concerns about math have nothing to do with how the equation is solved, question, and answer to it. If that be the case, those going into their degree programs should only take classes that aren't shallow to them. College doesn't work that way nor does life.

So, in that respect, I am interested in all religious thought. God ordered to kill and god did kill. Whether he is a criminal or not, that depends on who you talking to.

Do you understand where I am coming from when you say some people blame god when to many people (not you-many other people) god does not exist?

How can you blame something that does not exist? (Not someone. Not god. Just an odd ball invisible object)
like holding Bugs Bunny to blame for temptation?

and I have posted sooooo many times.....when it comes to belief in God...
there will never be an equation (or photo, or fingerprint, or repeatable experiment)

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
like holding Bugs Bunny to blame for temptation?

and I have posted sooooo many times.....when it comes to belief in God...
there will never be an equation (or photo, or fingerprint, or repeatable experiment)

I know it sounds rediculous for holding bugs bunny to blame. Can you "understand" that is how Some non believers think You are doing when you tell them they are blaming god? If you told me I am blaming god for my problems, Id scratch my head and wonder who exactly are you talking about.

You dont have to equate god to anyone.

Can you put yourself in

Other people's shoes

And see how THEY compare god not how you do or want to?

buddhist

So why do you not believe my experience with the patgh of God is not the right way?
I'm not saying that your experiences are not valid or that your path is not the right way for you; I'm merely saying the Buddhist path is the right way for me, and it concurs with my experiences.

Why would god's worship that which was not a god? How can that which is not a god, be superior to that which is a god?
In the Buddhist view, a god is simply another extremely powerful being subject to the round of rebirth & samsara. Many of them are under the self-delusion that they are eternal, because of their enormous lifespans, often lasting into the aeons. Some of them are also under the self-delusion that they are the Almighty, not being able to see the heavens and their gods above their own.

Think of ourselves, and how often we - as humans - live under the false notion that we will live forever (especially when we're young), and how most of us cannot see the realms above our own & their inhabitants. Likewise with many of the gods.

The Buddha transcended samsara and the round of rebirth, therefore he is considered superior to the gods who came to worship and learn from him.

Last edited:

omega2xx

I'm not saying that experiences are not valid or that your path is not the right way for you; I'm merely saying the Buddhist path is the right way for me, and it concurs with my experiences.

If our paths are seriously different and they are, both can't be

In the Buddhist view, a god is simply another extremely powerful being subject to the round of rebirth & samsara. Many of them are under the self-delusion that they are eternal, because of their enormous lifespans, often lasting into the aeons. Some of them are also under the self-delusion that they are the Almighty, not being able to see the heavens and their gods above their own.

Then they are not gods.

Think of ourselves, and how often we - as humans - live under the false notion that we will live forever (especially when we're young), and how most of us cannot see the realms above our own & their inhabitants. Likewise with many of the gods.

Only SOME children think tye will live forever. Adults know better.

The Buddha transcended samsara and the round of rebirth, therefore he is considered superior to the gods who came to worship and learn from him.

Buddhas was not a lgod and did not claim to be. If these other so called god did not know tht, they are not worth listening to.

buddhist

Buddhas was not a lgod and did not claim to be. If these other so called god did not know tht, they are not worth listening to.
Whether or not the Buddha claimed to be superior to God/god(s), or if a god claimed superiority is largely irrelevant to me. My position is this:

(My premise, personally verified) : Since the Buddhist teachings concur with my personal experience, and I personally know that the teachings are enlightened,
(My conclusion) : therefore I conclude that the individual who originated and/or taught those teachings is an enlightened one (aka "Buddha").

Or, in short: Dhamma (teachings) -> therefore Buddha.

The reverse does not hold true to me; that is:

(Premise, which I cannot personally verify) : the claim that because the source is presumably enlightened (e.g. "God", a prophet, etc.),
(Conclusion) therefore its alleged scriptures/teachings must also be enlightened (e.g. "Bible", "Koran", "Kitabi Aqdas", "Vedas", etc.)

"God" -> therefore scripture/teachings.