• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The coming evangelical collapse

linwood

Oneida, Ky. - We are on the verge – within 10 years – of a major collapse of evangelical Christianity. This breakdown will follow the deterioration of the mainline Protestant world and it will fundamentally alter the religious and cultural environment in the West.
Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.

The coming evangelical collapse | csmonitor.com
I`ve held the belief that the last ten years or so have represented a final thrust for western Christian ideology.
A strong final yet ultimately futile push of extremist agenda on to the American public.

Reading an evangelical columnist agree with my opinion is very satisfying to me but what do you think?

Any truth in the mans writing?

Last edited:

Troublemane

I think it may not go away so easily. IMO it may just go "underground", as the internet is a way for people to communicate without the "mainstream" media really paying attention. Just because the liberal media doesnt really like evangelicals, they will miss them as a foil. I mean, without the extremism of the right to counter, how will the left justify its own extremist views? :D

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Eh, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've been predicting a major collapse of Christianity in general for a while now. It will be interesting to see the kind of effects it has on society.

Smoke

Done here.
I certainly hope he's right, but I noted that the "collapse" he predicts would still between 1/8 and 3/16 of Americans in the Evangelical camp. That's hardly insignificant.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Spencer is dealing heavily in speculations here with very little in evidence to support his conclusions.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I can see how Evangellical chrisitanity can collapse, but not Christianity in general. over 1/3 of the population of the earth is considered to be Chrisitan.

Beaudreaux

I`ve held the belief that the last ten years or so have represented a final thrust for western Christian ideology.
A strong final yet ultimately futile push of extremist agenda on to the American public.

Reading an evangelical columnist agree with my opinion is very satisfying to me but what do you think?

Any truth in the mans writing?
We can only hope that he is right...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
May I point out that Christianity does not = evangelicalism? Evangelicals have been the thorn in our side (much more so than the "unbelievers") for a long time. Personally, I think I'd get along much better with Richard Dawkins than I would with James Dobson.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The ratio of crazy/scary people who take crazy/scary beliefs to crazy/scary extremes probably remains relatively constant over time. So, even if these people ended up not being evangelical christians, they would still be just as crazy/scary - it would just express in some other way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The ratio of crazy/scary people who take crazy/scary beliefs to crazy/scary extremes probably remains relatively constant over time. So, even if these people ended up not being evangelical christians, they would still be just as crazy/scary - it would just express in some other way.

That's an excellent point.

Smoke

Done here.
May I point out that Christianity does not = evangelicalism? Evangelicals have been the thorn in our side (much more so than the "unbelievers") for a long time.
However, if the essay is right, a lot of those people are just going to join the Catholic and Orthodox churches and make those churches even harder to get along with. In fact -- speaking as a former Orthodox Christian -- I think the Orthodox Church in the U.S. has already been significantly crapped up by the influx of Evangelical converts who aren't interested in Orthodoxy so much as they are interested in finding a conservative refuge for their own peculiar views.

lockyfan

However, if the essay is right, a lot of those people are just going to join the Catholic and Orthodox churches and make those churches even harder to get along with. In fact -- speaking as a former Orthodox Christian -- I think the Orthodox Church in the U.S. has already been significantly crapped up by the influx of Evangelical converts who aren't interested in Orthodoxy so much as they are interested in finding a conservative refuge for their own peculiar views.

Lol I like that very good answer

like i said thpugh, religion itself will soon cease so the evangelists will have nowhere to go

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Even Jesus said that the poor would always be with us...
Extreme evangelicalism is something we just can't fix.

lockyfan

Your right sojourner, but a fair bit of it will be stopped once Babylon the Great is destroyed. It will be humans that make the move, but only once Jehovah has put it into their hearts to destroy religion and Evangilism, but like I said, there iwll be somke that just keep on keeping on ad wont stop, not til after Armageddon