• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Burning of Quran – A Modern Act of Barbarism

The burning of religious books has been documented in history many times before. Such heinous acts are a proof of the hatred of people towards a certain concept or teaching. However, contrary to the popular belief, the burning of religious books in not only limited to Quran. Many other religions have been a victim of such atrocious activities to subdue the person or religion behind a teaching or concept.
read more from http://www.quranreading.com/blog/islam-and-muslims/the-burning-of-quran-a-modern-act-of-barbarism/)(

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
The burning of religious books has been documented in history many times before. Such heinous acts are a proof of the hatred of people towards a certain concept or teaching. However, contrary to the popular belief, the burning of religious books in not only limited to Quran. Many other religions have been a victim of such atrocious activities to subdue the person or religion behind a teaching or concept.
read more from http://www.quranreading.com/blog/islam-and-muslims/the-burning-of-quran-a-modern-act-of-barbarism/)(
What of the defiling of Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, etc symbols?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

Why should the burning of religious books be more of an act of barbarism than the burning of any other book?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What I got a good laugh out of is that many who protested the Qur'an burnings by setting fire to local buildings - which most likely contained copies of the Qur'an - became guilty of precisely what they were protesting. It doesn't get much richer than that. It adds a whole new dimension to the term "barbarian".

Looncall

Muslims need to come to terms with the fact that muslim taboos do not apply to non-muslims. When non-muslims burn a quran, they are not burning a holy book!

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Muslims need to come to terms with the fact that muslim taboos do not apply to non-muslims. When non-muslims burn a quran, they are not burning a holy book!

What has this got to do with anything?

Burning books in general is barbaric.

Burning a book that you know more than a billion people around the world hold dear is also stupid, hateful and disgusting.

All you have to say is that this is not a holy book to non-Muslims?

Well, thanks, thats pretty obvious though.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why should the burning of religious books be more of an act of barbarism than the burning of any other book?

Not really more, burning books in general is pretty stupid. I guess the only difference is that religious books are usually held dear by a big number of people.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't see anything barbaric about burning one book. I didn't perceive any indication of hate on the part of the person who did it. Obviously he didn't agree with the book and wnated to display that disagreement in a dramatic fashion. I doubt very much that the book will go out of print or lack adherents because of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Last edited:

averageJOE

zombie
When people do things like this they do it just to get a reaction out of the religious people who follow said book. Basically, your allowing them to get a reaction out of you. They win, mission accomplished.

Why don't you just ignore them? They are not burning the last copies of the book. It won't go out of print. Why don't you just sit back and think to yourself, "That guy's a tool." and open your quran and enjoy it.

Not really more, burning books in general is pretty stupid. I guess the only difference is that religious books are usually held dear by a big number of people.

I think the reactions of the mobs that go out on to the street shouting and burning flags over something like this is likewise indicative of their own barbarism. These extreme, violent reactions are unnecessary. I agree that people shouldn't be burning books, or flags, but the reactions this produces are unjustified.

When people do things like this they do it just to get a reaction out of the religious people who follow said book. Basically, your allowing them to get a reaction out of you. They win, mission accomplished.

Why don't you just ignore them? They are not burning the last copies of the book. It won't go out of print. Why don't you just sit back and think to yourself, "That guy's a tool." and open your quran and enjoy it.

I agree. Or go on a forum and talk about it peacefully. Or write a newspaper article. But for ***** sake don't sink so low as to form mobs and go shouting through the streets. That kind of a reaction is a thousand times worse than burning a book, and only makes the people that do it look like barbarians.

David M

In what way is burning the Quran more barbaric and hateful than burning any book?

If I buy a book and want to burn it why is that a problem? I should have the right to destroy my own property if I really want to and the Quran has no special status above the Bible or any other book.

Its just a book, 1 copy among millions, and has no special significance.

RitalinO.D.

What's worse than burning a holy book is the violent reaction to said burning.

Great idea, lets go kill people because they burned our holy book! :facepalm:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And what about Muslims in the Middle East who burn American flags, shout "Death to America", and worse than that chop off peoples' heads? Are you prepared to call them barbarians?

What is more barbaric: Chopping of a prisoner's head, or burning a book? Sorry bub, but until you condemn Muslims who commit REAL barbaric acts your indignation has no credibility

So your response is basically talking about something else, instead of the topic?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the reactions of the mobs that go out on to the street shouting and burning flags over something like this is likewise indicative of their own barbarism. These extreme, violent reactions are unnecessary. I agree that people shouldn't be burning books, or flags, but the reactions this produces are unjustified.

I agree.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's worse than burning a holy book is the violent reaction to said burning.

Great idea, lets go kill people because they burned our holy book! :facepalm:

I can't see why compare two incomparable things in the first place.

However, talking about that doesn't take anything away from the stupidity of the incident this thread is addressing.