• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book Of Mormon

Riders

Is there any historic or scientific proof that there is any truth in the Book Of Mormon or that its origins are legitimate?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Not a shred of evidence.

However, there is a lot of evidence that the LDS religion builds character, candor and relationships. My best friend is a Mormon and he's a great person to talk to. I think a lot of LDS members know their religion is full of deception but stay anyways to build a lasting community amongst the members of it.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Is there any historic or scientific proof that there is any truth in the Book Of Mormon or that its origins are legitimate?
I tried to read it and I just couldn't. There are some nice verses in it but I tried to get the storyline, but there wasn't one. It still intrigues me though. I guess because they seem so decent, clean cut and wholesome. They look forward to getting educated, working, finding a marriage partner and raising kids. It's a breath of fresh air.

InChrist

Free4ever

Not one piece of evidence has ever been found to support the Book of Mormon-not a trace of the large cities it names, no ruins, no coins, no letters or documents or monuments, nothing in writing. Not even one of the rivers or mountains or any of the topography it mentions has ever been identified.”

Quote: Dave Hunt

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Try bookofmormoncentral.org and evidencecentral.org .

Also, the first 116 pages were supposedly lost which would supposedly have helped with that.

Watchmen

Premium Member
No. Zero. Zip. Nada. The apologetics will claim there is but it’s all superficial and unconvincing to a logical mind.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Not a shred of evidence.

However, there is a lot of evidence that the LDS religion builds character, candor and relationships. My best friend is a Mormon and he's a great person to talk to. I think a lot of LDS members know their religion is full of deception but stay anyways to build a lasting community amongst the members of it.
False. Mormonism tears families apart, creates anxiety, and fosters abuse. What you see is the superficial veneer hiding the rot underneath.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Not a shred of evidence.

That’s interesting. I was wondering if it was a bit like the Witnesses or Christian Scientists where a lot of ex-members find it culty and/or strict? Maybe hard to get away from once inside?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Not a shred of evidence.

My Master also said something like:
"If you discover your Master is a fake, you need not to leave him, even better you stay, and prove to him by your own behavior that he is a fake, eventually the Master might become the student...of you, so you become his Master."

Leaving is usually the easy way
In some cases you better leave I think

Many examples of this in Hindu Scriptures

Jane.Doe

That’s interesting. I was wondering if it was a bit like the Witnesses or Christian Scientists where a lot of ex-members find it culty and/or strict? Maybe hard to get away from once inside?
Actual “Mormon” here: not really. I don’t miss smoking, coffee, or alcohol. And if you faith journey takes you else, that’s ok. For example, my favorite aunt is an ex-Mormon. She’s still my favorite aunt whom I love dearly and regularly call for advice.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Not one piece of evidence has ever been found to support the Book of Mormon-not a trace of the large cities it names, no ruins, no coins, no letters or documents or monuments, nothing in writing. Not even one of the rivers or mountains or any of the topography it mentions has ever been identified.”

Quote: Dave Hunt

I think that's a bit far. It mentions Jerusalem, for example.

I have studied Mormonism as avidly as many Mormons. I enjoyed the story of First and Second Nephi when I first read it, although today it reads inconsistent, self-contradictory, and less exciting, to me. I attended Mormon religion classes at BYU. I have met with various missionaries several times. I have read and studied books about Mormon history and doctrines, by both apologists and critics, for over three decades.

Despite my obvious bias in refuting Mormon doctrines and its whitewashed histories, I am capable of maintaining an objective, open-minded attitude towards what others (Mormons, in this case) might want to say in defense of their claims. I am not blinded, as some sadly are, by intolerant anti-religious bigotry.

Whoever claims there is "no evidence for [fill in the blank, from religion to science to history]" is a either a partisan or a dilettante, ideologically motivated or quick at passing judgement.

In fact, there are several named cities in the Book of Mormon that are known by those very names to exist in North America. Examples include Angola, Hellam, Jordan, Lehi (modern spelling Lehigh), Onidah (modern spelling Oneidah). In fact, it is their existence that argues against the Book of Mormon, because all of these sites were established after the alleged time of the Book of Mormon history, but before the time that their names were entered into the Book of Mormon. In other words, Joseph Smith was already familiar with these names. Mary Ann at Wheat and Tares provided a list of correspondences, and I believe provided this map as well:

BoM geography.jpg

AdamjEdgar

Like some of the others here, i tried to read the book of Mormon and did not last very long. The chapters i did manage to get through were so absurd i had no option but to stop citing a complete lack of intelligent stimulation. It was ridiculous nonsense.

I follow the Bible simply because, whilst one cannot prove God, the vast majority of historical places, dates/times, and people in the people can easily be proven to have existed in and around when the Bible says they did. We have a ton of physical evidence from a large variety of sources that support its narrative 100%. That is not something one will find with the book of Mormon...its nothing short of a fictional fairytale by a delusional individual who leads a group who got themselves not only run right out of one US state, he was eventually killed in a shootout with a linchmob. This was because of his persecution of townfolk and their murmurings against his idealogy, by destroying a rival printing press owned by individuals who disagreed with his outrageous doctrines and way of life...hardly the characteristics of a Godly man.

Whilst i believe that God has his hand over all religious denominations, im struggling with the idea that he has any guiding influence in Mormonism and for good reason...the aim of Mormonism is to become God (which is antibiblical and is exactly the claim Satan made to Eve when he tricked her into eating the fruit in the garden of Eden..."you will become like God")

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I've heard that the Book of Mormon has never been refuted.

In the Book of Mormon there are “300 references to
chronology and 700 to geography with virtually perfect self consistency”

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
Lifelong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here. I have seen assertions of such evidence. I have heard arguments against those assertions. I find all that commotion intriguing. If that wants to be the focus of someone's interest in the church, enjoy the ride. :)