• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
..... and ALL of the 6 creative days are summed up by the single word ' day ' as found at Genesis 2:4.
So, just as in our day the word ' day ' can convey more than a 24-hr. day.
For example: we speak of grandfather's day and know that is more than a 24-hr. day.
But we don't speak of more than one such day for a given person.

Once again, there were mornings and evenings. The seventh day was set aside as holy and is the reason *people* are supposed to rest on the seventh day.
Unlike us, God's 7th day is His rest day from furthering creating things.
Plus, the Sabbath system mentioned in the OT ended with the end of the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel.
Sabbath keeping was only for one country 'ancient Israel' and even ended for them - Romans 10:4

Which doesn't change the basic conclusion.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, you are helping me to understand a few things here. About the way people see and/or want to see things. Thanks. Frankly speaking, this particular discussion with you and a few others has been invaluable. So now the question would be for those like you who believe the seventh day of creation was 24 hours long and that God took a rest -- do you think God takes a rest every 7th day?

Well, I don't believe the story in the first place. But I can read and understand the story and it is very clear that the 'days' had mornings and evenings and the seventh day was just another such day. I don't know of any place in the Bible where it mentions God resting every seventh day, but there is certainly a commandment for us humans to do so.

I won't even get into the issues that the characteristics of God change quite a bit in the Bible, often in directly contradictory ways.

gnostic

The Lost One
I am not taking it our of context. It simply does not say in any verse that the 7th day had an evening and a morning. Yet the other 6 days have an evening and a morning to them. Perhaps you would agree with those that think and say that each of those days were 24 hours each, including the seventh day.

you are the one who keep mentioning 24-hour day.

I didn’t say that. I didn’t mention hours at all, you did. You putting words in my mouth, and that tell me you are not being honest.

I have always pointed out that each day, “there was evening and there was morning”, as it say in Genesis 1. And there are no reasons at all for the 7th day wouldn’t also be “there was evening and there was morning” too.

Do the readers have to be illiterates that it must be repeated 7 times in Genesis 2:2?

It says in 2:2, that following the “sixth day” is the “seventh day”.

Genesis 2:2 (NRSV) 2 On the sixth day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done.

That should have provided all the context you would need, to know the 7th day would have the same period of time as the 6th day. The 7th day isn’t weeks, years, centuries, millennia or any other nonsensical period of time.

plus you keep ignoring the importance of the 7-day week in Hebrew traditions. You should underst better than anyone if what you say that you were “born and raised” as a Jew, or so you claim.

i don’t trust your words. You have already falsely claimed that i say the “24-hour” day, so it isn’t a big stretch that I might find your claim being a Jew to be not true.

and btw, I no longer believe that Genesis creation to be historically true & scientifically true. I believe that it is a myth…but just because it is a myth, that doesn’t mean I don’t understand the story.

gnostic

The Lost One
OK, you are helping me to understand a few things here. About the way people see and/or want to see things. Thanks. Frankly speaking, this particular discussion with you and a few others has been invaluable. So now the question would be for those like you who believe the seventh day of creation was 24 hours long and that God took a rest -- do you think God takes a rest every 7th day?

As I have been telling you before, Genesis 1 is a myth, but if you like, you can call it a parable or allegory.

the story itself isn’t important. It is the message that’s important.

The message is found in the law of the sabbath…read exodus 16.

The Torah is for the Hebrew people - the Israelites and the Jews. So the sabbath is for the Jews, not for God.

i am not the one who believe that God exist, but I do find your question - “do you think God takes a rest every 7th day?” - to be ridiculous.

if you were Jew in the past, you would know the sabbath was for Israelites or Jews. The laws - the Torah - were the teachings for them.

Why would you need to ask me pointless question when you should know the answer.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If I thought every religion was ok I guess I'd feel free to join any religion. But I don't. To believe in evolution as true renders a hopeless condition. We live a few years, then what? I do not believe in transmigration of the soul and I don't believe God has a place with fire called hell for the unsaved. Among other things I don't believe in. So I won't just join any religion just because they profess a belief in God or superpowers or mystical powers.
Missed the point.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
ok, thanks. I can't say whether your opinion is true or not, but my mind is made up right now based on reason. In other words, evolution as natural occurrence is simply and absolutely impossible. Starting from the beginning.
You've flat out just told us that you rely solely on faith in the Bible, rather than on reason and evidence.
You don't get to turn around and claim you're being reasonable now.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
All of creation falsifies evolution and billions of years.

How did the giraffe get its long neck?

There was no reason for a longer neck as there was plenty of food at the ground and lower levels even up to 10 feet. A few giraffes that were a foot taller does not provide any survival advantage, as they cannot reach the upper vegetation.

And a longer neck presents all kinds of blood pressure and blood flow problems between a giraffe with head bent to the ground and a neck stretched up.
In fact, the giraffe has special valves in its neck to allow such, but how did they evolve?
That change is too complex to have evolved all at once and provides no advantage until all in place.
In fact, it would cause a real problem with survival if only partially formed.
So, God made the giraffe with the longer neck and the special valves.
Why did your god design the giraffe so poorly?

Reactions: ppp

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
As I have been telling you before, Genesis 1 is a myth, but if you like, you can call it a parable or allegory.

the story itself isn’t important. It is the message that’s important.

The message is found in the law of the sabbath…read exodus 16.

The Torah is for the Hebrew people - the Israelites and the Jews. So the sabbath is for the Jews, not for God.

i am not the one who believe that God exist, but I do find your question - “do you think God takes a rest every 7th day?” - to be ridiculous.

if you were Jew in the past, you would know the sabbath was for Israelites or Jews. The laws - the Torah - were the teachings for them.

Why would you need to ask me pointless question when you should know the answer.
I don't believe that the Bible is full of myths or errors. I believe it is inspired of God and filled with wonderful things. I don't believe that Moses never existed, I don't believe the Jews were never slaves in Egypt. I know what God did for me. I hope you have a real good day or night or day and night. Bye for now. So God takes a day off you think every week, is that right?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You've flat out just told us that you rely solely on faith in the Bible, rather than on reason and evidence.
You don't get to turn around and claim you're being reasonable now.
I don't believe that evolution is how humans came about. I rely upon God, not men. I am thankful for that. Evolution explains that everything dies. So goodbye Charlie.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't believe that evolution is how humans came about. I rely upon God, not men. I am thankful for that. Evolution explains that everything dies. So goodbye Charlie.
Evolution might "explain that everything dies," but what do your own observations in life tell you? Do you know of anything alive today that was alive 2,000 years ago? Do you know anybody, in your whole world, who was alive only 120 years ago? Any pets?