• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
People no longer die of smallpox. Antibiotics mean diseases that killed many no longer do so. Violence is down over all. There is less superstition.

Once we moved away from theocracies, life got better. Those places that are still theocracies are oppressive and lack basic freedoms.

Sorry, but having “God in control” just means having religious nuts in control. And that is never a good thing.
I don't believe I said God is in control, did I? I don't recall that.
But if you think that the world is getting better as time goes on, hey, that's up to you. I personally don't see things getting better. Murders on the street for no reason (you think God is responsible for that?), wars taking place, disease killing lots of people, and more. Besides, death is death, it's not life. FastStats According to your way of looking at things, we all gotta die sometime, right? That's evolution! Life starting by chance, leading to death for sure. :) Have a good one!
Oh, yes--I do not think that all science is bad. Please do get that straight, if you will, can, or want to. Thanks again.

gnostic

The Lost One
No one has met my challenge of anything older than 6000 years.

Genesis 10 mentioned Nineveh and Uruk (Erech in Hebrew) as cities built by nonexistent mythological Nimrod, post Flood.

But the earliest foundation of permanent settlement in Nineveh is about 8000 years ago or 6000 BCE.

While the earliest Uruk (Erech) is about 7000 years ago or 5000 BCE.

The earliest mention of Jericho is in Numbers 22, doesn’t say anything about when Jericho was built, but it is archaeologically even older than Nineveh and Uruk. The Bronze Age Jericho and Neolithic Jericho is located at site underneath Tell es-Sultan.

Like most ancient cities that existed in the Fertile Crescent, each of the cities were often successively built on top of earlier settlements. There are about 20 successive layers of (Jericho) at Tell es-Sultan, and 18 successive settlements of Uruk. The bottom layer is always the evidence of the earliest permanent settlement.

So the bottom layer of Tell es-Sultan, is the earliest permanent settlement of Neolithic Jericho, dated to as early as 11,400 years ago or 9400 BCE. Around 8600 BCE, Jericho expanded into the earliest city, large enough to population of over 1000 people, where houses were circular floor plan, using sun-dried clay bricks. But more importantly, the city was surrounded by 3-metre high stone fortified walls, along with a single 8-metre high tower; these fortifications were built around. 8300 BCE.

sources: about Jericho or Tell es-Sultan:

The ages of the oldest foundations of each these ancient ruins (Jericho, Uruk, Nineveh), are all evidence that they are older than your “6000 years“ claim.

Neolithic marked the start of agricultural farming (food production via growing crops and animal husbandry) and start of permanent settlements that eventually led to cultures of urbanisation.

But Neolithic cultures only began when started because the ice sheets retreated, the annual seasons were renewed. Although the ice sheets of Quaternary Glaciation (Ice Ages) didn’t cover the entire planet, the planet was still cold and dry, which meant that there were long droughts, hence much of the Pleistocene humans living the nomadic lifestyle of hunting and gathering during the Palaeolithic periods. Not only human species have to follow game animals, they have to search for water.

The point is that the geological transition between two epochs - Pleistocene and Holocene - the date of 11,700 years, marked by dating ice core samples from Greenland and Antarctica. This date when Pleistocene ended and Holocene started, are reliable.

This date also coincided with the end of Palaeolithic and start of Neolithic, a new lifestyle for some cultures of people. By this time, the Homo sapiens were the only living species, as other human species ended some times earlier.

Source about dating Holocene using ice cores, read Formal definition and dating of the GSSP (Global Stratotype Section and Point) for the base of the Holocene using the Greenland NGRIP ice core, and selected auxiliary records, 2008. As this is abstract, if you want to read the full article, click on the pdf link.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe I said God is in control, did I? I don't recall that.
Well, that's the problem isn't it? It's always people (usually men) *claiming* that they are following God's will. So when they are in control, they *claim* God is. But, of course, God never is.
But if you think that the world is getting better as time goes on, hey, that's up to you. I personally don't see things getting better. Murders on the street for no reason (you think God is responsible for that?), wars taking place, disease killing lots of people, and more.
Fewer murders than previously. A smaller percentage die in wars. Fewer people die of the diseases that used to follow wars.
Besides, death is death, it's not life. FastStats According to your way of looking at things, we all gotta die sometime, right?
Not according to my way of looking at things. According to the history of such things. We ALL die. Period.
That's evolution!
No, that is not evolution. Evolution is the changes of species over time.
Life starting by chance, leading to death for sure. :) Have a good one!
Yes, ALL living things die eventually. That said, some things live for thousands of years.
Oh, yes--I do not think that all science is bad. Please do get that straight, if you will, can, or want to. Thanks again.
No, but you only accept science that agrees with your previously adopted beliefs. That isn't science.

YoursTrue

Well, that's the problem isn't it? It's always people (usually men) *claiming* that they are following God's will. So when they are in control, they *claim* God is. But, of course, God never is.

Fewer murders than previously. A smaller percentage die in wars. Fewer people die of the diseases that used to follow wars.

Not according to my way of looking at things. According to the history of such things. We ALL die. Period.

No, that is not evolution. Evolution is the changes of species over time.

Yes, ALL living things die eventually. That said, some things live for thousands of years.

No, but you only accept science that agrees with your previously adopted beliefs. That isn't science.
I thought about your response and I will say it is ridiculous and you are not facing reality but making excuses. Humans die. That's the way it is now. Some die of disease, no matter solutions invented, they still die. Anyway, no more and have a good evening, bye for now.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I thought about your response and I will say it is ridiculous and you are not facing reality but making excuses. Humans die. That's the way it is now. Some die of disease, no matter solutions invented, they still die. Anyway, no more and have a good evening, bye for now.
Ah...
They went over your head did they?

YoursTrue

Ah...
They went over your head did they?
lol, not at all. Murders are occurring constantly. Bombings, other "human" (not geological) disasters. And yes, flooding, etc. occurring. So? As I said, death often ensues. And, by the theory of evolution, it is a surety.

YoursTrue

lol, not at all. Murders are occurring constantly. Bombings, other "human" (not geological) disasters. And yes, flooding, etc. occurring. So? As I said, death often ensues. And, by the theory of evolution, it is a surety.
Fact is, @McBell the point is quite clear.

YoursTrue

I neither believe or disbelieve in a deity.
Ah...you got me on that one. I'll rephrase your answer so I understand it if possible...in other words, would you say either there is a God or there is not a God? Put another way, would you say you think maybe God exists and maybe a God doesn't exist?