• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Etritonakin

For some reason I've never in my life seen anyone on these forums and in general even mention or ask about how in the Christian Bible the New Testament indirectly states that Satan is the ancient pagan Greek God Zeus.

"Revelation 2:12-13 In Pergamon, where Satan's Throne is"

"The Pergamon Altar is a massive structure originally built in the 2nd century BC in the Ancient Greek city of Pergamon. The temple was dedicated to the greek god Zeus. The Pergamon Altar was shipped out of the Ottoman Empire from the original excavation site by the German archeological team lead by Carl Humann, and reconstructed in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin in the 19th century, where it can be seen alongside other monumental structures such as the Ishtar Gate from Babylon." [4]

[4] Throne of Satan - Pergamon Altar - Former Things - Biblical Archaeology and The Bible

Satan -the prince of the power of the air now working in the sons of disobedience, etc. -is able to influence man directly, and indirectly through other men.
His throne is essentially wherever he can most effectively exert his will at any given time. The bible technically does not say that Satan IS atually Zeus, but Satan will falsely be anything by which anyone may be influenced.
It happened to be the above at the time.

Belief in God and Christ, among other things, provide such opportunities today, so Satan essentially becomes those things also.

For example...

2 Thes 2:3Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2 Cor 11:12But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. 13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Satan as depicted in the bible is a composite character.
Source please.

I ask because the Bible uses the word Satan not as the name of a specific being, but as a title.
So I am most interested in the verses from the Bible that lead you to believe that the Bible uses the word Satan as anything other than a title.

His throne is essentially wherever he can most effectively exert his will at any given time. The bible technically does not say that Satan IS atually Zeus, but Satan will falsely be anything by which anyone may be influenced.
It happened to be the above at the time.

The above is correct. Jesus has conquered sin and death. The inauguration of God's Kingdom began at the cross.

Repox

Truth Seeker
For some reason I've never in my life seen anyone on these forums and in general even mention or ask about how in the Christian Bible the New Testament indirectly states that Satan is the ancient pagan Greek God Zeus.

"Revelation 2:12-13 In Pergamon, where Satan's Throne is"

"The Pergamon Altar is a massive structure originally built in the 2nd century BC in the Ancient Greek city of Pergamon. The temple was dedicated to the greek god Zeus. The Pergamon Altar was shipped out of the Ottoman Empire from the original excavation site by the German archeological team lead by Carl Humann, and reconstructed in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin in the 19th century, where it can be seen alongside other monumental structures such as the Ishtar Gate from Babylon." [4]

[4] Throne of Satan - Pergamon Altar - Former Things - Biblical Archaeology and The Bible

If you think about it, why wouldn't Satan be associated with pagan gods? I have a theory, Satan appeared to ancient people and helped them shape their gods. If you study it, you find similarities in pagan god faces, a grotesque V shaped face.

Last edited:
Satan is everything but the true God or Lord. But it is interesting that they had a throne dedicated to Zeus in Pergamon, maybe that was the one he was talking about. Have any pictures of it? BTW an Altar is not a throne...
Peragmos was dedicated to the God Zeus [Dionysus] and the altar of the God was also the throne of the God.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If you think about it, why wouldn't Satan be associated with pagan gods? I have a theory, Satan appeared to ancient people and helped them shape their gods. If you study it, you find similarities in pagan god faces, a grotesque V shaped face.
No, you don't.