• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible, an important document. How can it be understood?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How would you qualify a 'message' as real and significant? How would you disqualify one? Is Homer or Shakespeare real and significant?

Let's see if I understand: you don't understand the language, the archaeology, the history or the changing culture, but you want to debate that the 'message' is 'real and significant'. Are you serious?

You mean I do not KNOW the language, archaeology, history and changing culture*. You do not know if I understand it....or not.

*what's it mean I don't understand changing culture?

Alceste

Vagabond
"Spreading peace is about what you do, not how you feel". Yes.

Is it also true that undoing what has been done a way to peace? Why not?

You want to undo 2000 years of monotheistic patriarchy? Good! Me too! :D kind of a big project though, and I really don't think a book about monotheism written by and for men is the best tool for the job.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You want to undo 2000 years of monotheistic patriarchy? Good! Me too! :D kind of a big project though, and I really don't think a book about monotheism written by and for men is the best tool for the job.

OK! You do know "behind every good man is a woman" so it is true women were very much involved in writing it. I am holding no grudges that a woman is not an author. Maybe Daniel was a woman? LOL It would NOT surprise me....

The Bible "was written for" me. I am a woman. Let me see? Yup, a female.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
See how in the same language something can have two very different meanings? Saying the Bible was written for me and saying the Bible was written for me too, have completely different perspectives. Yes?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:biglaugh:

Have a good day.

This can also have two very different meanings. How would I know what you mean? I can not know. But knowing God means knowing what the meaning of the writing is.

The other real question I had was ignored. How do I not understand cultural change?

I wish I had kept count of all the questions I have asked on forums that have gone unanswered. I think 100 is not an exaggeration because I am tempted to think 200.

Alceste

Vagabond
OK! You do know "behind every good man is a woman" so it is true women were very much involved in writing it. I am holding no grudges that a woman is not an author. Maybe Daniel was a woman? LOL It would NOT surprise me....

No, women had absolutely nothing to do with writing it. That's an outrageous claim. If you're talking about making supper for the writers and washing their clothes, I do not agree that these activities constitute a significant contribution to the ideology conveyed in a work of literature. If so, you would never expect slave owners to be the most prolific apologists for slavery throughout the American civil war.

Also, it's wishful thinking to suppose it was written for you, given Paul's attitude toward women. Keep your mouth shut in church, and if you have any questions, ask your husband! Yeah, sounds like very useful advice for a woman. The church serves God, men serve the church, and women serve men. Very progressive thinker, Paul was.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sometimes I am on display. Is there something wrong with it?

In this case, I'd say so. As was pointed out, this is a debate section of RF. Specifically, it is a historical debate section. Although your opening at least asks for a discussion, you don't provide any parameters to frame a debate, making it difficult to have a constructive dialogue, and just about impossible to have one which is focused (or at least one that is focused, belongs in the "historical debates" section, and is relevant to the topic).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The importance of the scriptures of the Hebrews for World peace is not focused? How so? I will be the first to admit I AM NOT focused. Thank God for that I say! I will not be changing for RF. So sorry.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The focus of the thread is what did the Hebrews pass down to us? A key? I think so. How are we to understand what the key is for? I suppose we must recognize it IS a key, don't you think?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Nah. Males wrote the various books of the Bible. Not females. And within a very specific time frame and within a specific geographical location too. Those play a factor, certainly.

Feel free to think that. But what does this have to do with the migration of early humans 50,000 years ago from Africa after the last ice age?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, women had absolutely nothing to do with writing it. That's an outrageous claim. If you're talking about making supper for the writers and washing their clothes, I do not agree that these activities constitute a significant contribution to the ideology conveyed in a work of literature. If so, you would never expect slave owners to be the most prolific apologists for slavery throughout the American civil war.

Also, it's wishful thinking to suppose it was written for you, given Paul's attitude toward women. Keep your mouth shut in church, and if you have any questions, ask your husband! Yeah, sounds like very useful advice for a woman. The church serves God, men serve the church, and women serve men. Very progressive thinker, Paul was.

Women had "absolutely nothing" to do with writing it. How did the writer know what happened to Esther in the private room?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The focus of the thread is what did the Hebrews pass down to us? A key? I think so. How are we to understand what the key is for? I suppose we must recognize it IS a key, don't you think?

You're asking for an assumption rather than empirical observations to back up a claim. That simply doesn't fly.

It's a key. It's an important document. It's the "key to world peace." Based on....what?

Alceste

Vagabond

I think in this context the obligation is on you to provide your hypothesis and the evidence supporting it. Do you have any evidence that there is a consistent message of peace in the Bible? Is God portrayed as a peaceful being? Does Jesus die a peaceful death? Is the underlying of Bible stories, like Adam and Eve, Noah's ark, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. one of kindness, compassion, tolerance and acceptance? And are the Hebrews portrayed as peaceful people? Throughout history, has adherence to the ideology in the Bible produced more peace than violence? How does it stand up against it's competitors in that regard, for example Buddhism?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're asking for an assumption rather than empirical observations to back up a claim. That simply doesn't fly.

It's a key. It's an important document. It's the "key to world peace." Based on....what?

I'd say based on who, not what.

The Messiah. The Prince of Peace.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The importance of the scriptures of the Hebrews for World peace is not focused?

No. Regardless of the truth of that claim, it is one which involves an extremely vast number of diverse topics from the incredibly complex nature of cultural and international dynamics, the current state of economic, military, technological, and other global forces affecting conflict, textual and theological interpretation, biblical Hebrew and ancient Greek, and on and on.

The focus of the thread is what did the Hebrews pass down to us?

In which case the first thing you might want to establish is that there is any unified socio-cultural entity 'the Hebrews" allowing us to understand the bible as a "document" (as the thread title puts it) and a cohesive work produced by that socio-cultural entity ("the Hebrews").