• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible, an important document. How can it be understood?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's nice. Now, is there any reason why we should give that belief credence?

Yes. First I wonder who "we" are? Are you more than one too?

My daughter, who is atheist, says I might be right the Bible is misunderstood and that linguists and other non religious folks might agree.

I fear misunderstanding it makes conflict which turns into doom. But enough people understanding it would turn the tide.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe the Bible is the key to peace. Without peace there is no future. If there really is intelligent life other than Man and they saw what we are doing would they not say "You had the key to life and you did WHAT with it?"

Raped, hid, coveted, burned,....it. The rape is referring to we who say it says what it does not say.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You persist in telling us what you believe while offering no justification or substantiation. Again: that is display, not debate.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You persist in telling us what you believe while offering no justification or substantiation. Again: that is display, not debate.

I have done "justification and substantiation" before. Now....it's your turn.

Is it an important document for World peace? Yes, or no? Is it?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I believe the Bible is the key to peace. Without peace there is no future. If there really is intelligent life other than Man and they saw what we are doing would they not say "You had the key to life and you did WHAT with it?"

Raped, hid, coveted, burned,....it. The rape is referring to we who say it says what it does not say.

Wasn't the key to peace with me. I found it elsewhere.

Any "peace" that exists personally with me was made with my past, with the Bible, and with the Christian community. However, I simply do not subscribe to this fundamental and singular "key to peace" belief.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wasn't the key to peace with me. I found it elsewhere.

Any "peace" that exists personally with me was made with my past, with the Bible, and with the Christian community. However, I simply do not subscribe to this fundamental and singular "key to peace" belief.

Each person is not "the world". All together we are the world. Is there no peace? Why not? Answer; The Bible has been raped.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Each person is not "the world". All together we are the world. Is there no peace? Why not? Answer; The Bible has been raped.
Given your vapid claims, would it not be far more reasonable to think that it is people like you who are perpetrating the rape?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Each person is not "the world".

Pardon me, but I am part of "the world", and my perspective is just as valid as anyone else's.

All together we are the world. Is there no peace? Why not? Answer; The Bible has been raped.

I disagree. The Bible has been studied, referenced, and cited, but not raped. And it's lack of being the one-and-only-source-for-solace-for-the-entire-world is certainly not the reason why there is no utopian peaceful existence on Earth.

Alceste

Vagabond

There's no future anyway, and it has little to do with the Bible. Thank climate change, peak oil and exponential inflationary economics.

In general, though, I would say religion has not been a path toward peace. Monotheistic patriarchal religions have been particularly destructive, propagating violence between different sects, brutality toward women, the torture and murder of accused heretics, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (in part), and a host of other crimes against humanity.

It has also justified a great deal of plainly destructive and unethical behavior, such as the attempted genocide of indigenous cultures in lands colonized by Christians, the slave trade, and the physical and psychological abuse of women and children. In recent history, Catholicism has protected pedophiles from justice, abducted infants from single mothers, kidnapped and enslaved girls for being pretty, castrated boys for reporting sexual abuse, hastened the spread of aids by propagating misinformation about condoms in Africa, and attempted to repress progress in the direction of tolerance and equality for homosexual people.

Spreading peace is about what you do, not how you feel.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible from before Christ has been twisted to "justify a great deal of plainly destructive and unethical behavior". It is my point I am trying to make.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Bible viewed from a nonreligious standpoint. Is it a real and significant message from the past?
How would you qualify a 'message' as real and significant? How would you disqualify one? Is Homer or Shakespeare real and significant?

Let's see if I understand: you don't understand the language, the archaeology, the history or the changing culture, but you want to debate that the 'message' is 'real and significant'. Are you serious?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Spreading peace is about what you do, not how you feel". Yes.

Is it also true that undoing what has been done a way to peace? Why not?