• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Anchor of Faith

Shantanu

I'm sure my knowledge of dharma is inadequate but I will ask anyway...what is the big difference between understanding one's path as dharma and understanding one's path as a plan laid out by God?
There is no difference in that dharma as an eternal truth or law (duties and righteous actions) is as Faith based as the view that ones path is a plan laid out by God and both views are delusional: not everyone has to suffer, but people are destined to suffer by virtue of their genetics. The only thing that saves a person is his or her genetics (if he or she has sufficient sattvic guna) that determine how he or she can take avoidance measures to deal with the cruelty that life forces bring upon the individual as part of wider Nature. One cannot change the gunas that one is born with and there is no transcendence from the gunas. It was delusional faith that had caused me to think for 20 years that I was a chosen one so so had transcended my sattivic guna to be close to God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have no doubt that you have found fruits along the path of Buddhism. I too have been inspired by the teachings and the life of the Buddha in my own small way.

Is nirvana a literal reality? Will a person who reaches it spend time there and enjoy its fruits? Do you think you will ever in any lifetime come to a point where you can say, "It is accomplished! I am enlightened!"
I wish i could give a good answer to what Nibban is. But only one who have experienced/attained Nibbana can know. But as far as i understand, it is not a world like this one, it is a non physical place, but it is also a mind aspect because one can be enlighten and still be in this physical world for some time. that is called paranibbana as far as i know

ManSinha

what is the big difference between understanding one's path as dharma

I'll take one crack at it - using some quotes from the SGGS - do not know if it will answer the "difference" question you posed but it is one perspective

One is advised to always be thankful while doing one's daily duties -

upload_2019-3-20_8-46-3.png

Remember that one's time in the world is limited - some long others a little less - so do the good you can when you can

upload_2019-3-20_8-47-0.png

And finally - the end goal is to merge with the Ultimate Truth / Light - call it what you will

upload_2019-3-20_8-49-53.png

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
But what if your faith was in something possible, if only everyone would choose to believe...

As I see life, anything is possible, even an God. However somethings are less likely than others.

I accept each moment as it comes. Can't say I don't have any expectations but I have very few. To me there are no guarantees in life. No faith that I'll live through the day. Death can come at any moment for any of us. So what faith am I supposed to have if I may not even be around?

For me each moment is what it is. I deal with what happens to be/exist in that moment. Sometimes that moment is good, I'm happy. Sometimes it's bad and I struggle. I don't know what each moment will bring but I've been successful dealing with every moment in my life so far. At any time I could fail, my life ends.

I don't really need faith in the next moment or even that I will make it to the next moment. I just need to successfully deal with the moment that I'm in.

Shantanu

How do you test faith?
How do you know that a god exist?
I communicated with God and use Him as the ulitmate source of truth and wisdom so that I can chart my dharma accordingly. Whenever I have a question that is unanswerable I take a stance on the question and then ask God if I should act accordingly. This is done through clock checking for messages from God where sighting of 7's (2.05, 3.40, 4.21, 5.11, 6.01, 7.00, 8.08, 9.25, 10.33, 11.32, etc) are positive indicators that God is saying I am doing the right thing. That is the Faith being tested.

Last edited:

sealchan

As I see life, anything is possible, even an God. However somethings are less likely than others.

I accept each moment as it comes. Can't say I don't have any expectations but I have very few. To me there are no guarantees in life. No faith that I'll live through the day. Death can come at any moment for any of us. So what faith am I supposed to have if I may not even be around?

For me each moment is what it is. I deal with what happens to be/exist in that moment. Sometimes that moment is good, I'm happy. Sometimes it's bad and I struggle. I don't know what each moment will bring but I've been successful dealing with every moment in my life so far. At any time I could fail, my life ends.

I don't really need faith in the next moment or even that I will make it to the next moment. I just need to successfully deal with the moment that I'm in.

In this attitude I think you share much in common with certain faiths.

How would you counsel/have you counselled someone who is in deep despair?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm of the opinion that faith is absolutely necessary in all of our lives. I even think that it may be necessary for morality. I base this on Hofstadter's research into the Prisoners dilemma.

Prisoner's dilemma. :cool:

If I commit a crime, I'd admit to it and deal with the consequences of my actions. What the other "prisoner" does doesn't do or might do, wouldn't affect my choice.

ManSinha

@Nakosis Whether you choose to believe or not - the views you have outlined that you have for yourself have a remarkable similarity to the quotes I posted in post #64

ManSinha

I agree

I think it would depend on the cause of the despair - for example clinical depression is sometimes classified as extrinsic - triggered by or exacerbated by external events and intrinsic - in the absence of such

As one might expect most cases are on a spectrum between the two - and the counsel, in part, would depend on what was the driving force behind it

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Lots of things to do but it's all a matter of distraction. Go for a walk and point out things in the world. "Look at that tree", "look at the moon". See the bird/squirrel etc.

Watch a good movie. Play a video game. Go find a random person to help without any expectation of reward. Anything to distract a person from their internal despair.

Problems are going to work themselves out one way or another. You just do the best you can at any moment. No sense in worrying about the next moment because it probably won't be what you expect anyway.

I'm not a psychologist, I don't know all of the reason someone may find themselves in despair however I suspect maybe it's because they hold onto an expectation of an unhappy future. So let go of that expectation. Let the future be whatever it comes to be.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Faithfulness is the evidence of things not seen. Its how you know without knowing. Its also how you guarantee. It is a universal principle everywhere. To borrow money you have to show you have good practices. To have friends you be friendly. To give people confidence you have to be reliable.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
@Nakosis Whether you choose to believe or not - the views you have outlined that you have for yourself have a remarkable similarity to the quotes I posted in post #64

Can't really say exactly how my current views came about. I've been deeply involved in various religions I'd imagine that all has an influence on my current views. I just don't have an expectation of there being a God, or no God or if there is a God, what or who that God might be. If a God happens to reveal themselves, I'll deal with it in that moment.

sealchan

Prisoner's dilemma. :cool:

If I commit a crime, I'd admit to it and deal with the consequences of my actions. What the other "prisoner" does doesn't do or might do, wouldn't affect my choice.

Sure but this scenario can be taken to apply to a broader range of experiences. If coordination between the two "prisoners" (or individuals) is important then knowing that other individual's mind may become of central concern. in the context of faith that is like knowing dharma or God's will or the Tao, etc...

How many times have you literally faced the prisoner's dilemma? If none, then it is better to consider a case that is analogous that you have experienced. It might be easier to think back to a time when you have been tempted to cheat when you thought others would likely do the same.

sealchan

I agree

I think it would depend on the cause of the despair - for example clinical depression is sometimes classified as extrinsic - triggered by or exacerbated by external events and intrinsic - in the absence of such

As one might expect most cases are on a spectrum between the two - and the counsel, in part, would depend on what was the driving force behind it

I recognize that each of us has a limited ability to magically heal anyone else of their despair...but we can all be supportive.

Still it would be a wonderous skill to be able to intuit what anchor would most help a person...

ManSinha

Still it would be a wonderous skill to be able to intuit what anchor would most help a person...

From a personal perspective of seeing people in some of the worst (health related) crises in their lives (ex ICU doc) - a simple willingness to listen empathetically goes a long way