• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Anchor of Faith

Audie

Veteran Member
I think faith is a hold on reality that is hidden from everyone because of evil forces that are in between us and the truth. T

So what force is responsible for you being unable
to detect the reality that there was no world wide flood?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Many would argue you need no faith at all that the sun will rise as this can be repeatedly demonstrated. What I am calling the anchor is the future promise of an ultimate experience-able change in one's state of being that promises to replace our current practical reality.

I would agree that we are best served by beliefs and practices which can be grounded in reasoned knowledge. Reasoned knowledge is best supported by present experience rather than future promise. Future promise is, at best, a inference and, at worse, a sincere, motivating fiction.

Good thing Jesus rose from the grave to enforce his inferences!

sealchan

Your right, I want objective evidence, not subjective evidence from the mind.

I wouldn't mind leading a person to God but I may not be the right person for you. ;)

For objective evidence of God I would look at depth psychology and comparative mythology.

If you want to share your dreams I would be glad to interpret!

sealchan

Good thing Jesus rose from the grave to enforce his inferences!

One inference enforces another in a chain of thoughts in the mind.

I think rather that Jesus taught that our mind is our garden to tend and if well tended we have Heaven now. Enforcement is indistinguishable from psychology.

dfnj

Faith is a belief in something beyond proof. As such that faith could be seen as a bit too dissociated from practical reality. As such do we find that faith often reaches out beyond it's own natural domain to make one or more tenuous claims about the nature of reality for the sake of our psychological need to see something concrete and practical in our unproven beliefs?

Can we not live with a faith that reminds us of what I might call "the unbearable lightness of subjective meaning"?

All our subjective meaning comes from our reflection of God's greatness.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Genesis 1:27

Timothy Spurlin

I wouldn't mind leading a person to God but I may not be the right person for you. ;)

For objective evidence of God I would look at depth psychology and comparative mythology.

If you want to share your dreams I would be glad to interpret!

Would the psychology be brainwashing of children?
Mythology is just that, myths made up by humans.

dfnj

so god can kill itself. good to have that cleared up.

Q-
But how do you know it is all powerful?
A-
You dont.

Being omnipotent means not having any limitations. So not only can kill himself but He can also bring Himself back into existence from non-existence. God is not bounded by the laws of physics or the laws of logic. What evidence do you have the laws of physics are consistent. The fact that anything exists at all as opposed to nothing is a direct violation of the law of conservation of energy.

Nobody is claiming to "prove" anything. People accept God exists in a certain way as an assumption or axiom that is considered to be true without any proof. Just because you do not accept the God-axiom as being true doesn't mean it is any less valuable or meaningful to those who do.

Timothy Spurlin

Being omnipotent means not having any limitations. So not only can kill himself but He can also bring Himself back into existence from non-existence. God is not bounded by the laws of physics or the laws of logic. What evidence do you have the laws of physics are consistent. The fact that anything exists at all as opposed to nothing is a direct violation of the law of conservation of energy.

Nobody is claiming to "prove" anything. People accept God exists in a certain way as an assumption or axiom that is considered to be true without any proof. Just because you do not accept the God-axiom as being true doesn't mean it is any less valuable or meaningful to those who do.

Which god are you talking about.
Can you prove your god is real?

dfnj

Which god are you talking about.
Can you prove your god is real?

Absolutely. God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word God represents is every possible thought or experience that has occurred or will ever occur. God is a container word holding every possible thought. The Universe is just a piece of the realization of God's omnipotence. God also represents nothingness as well.

Although God only exists in our use of words and language, at the outer edge of our mind where words like zero, infinity, and nothingness get their meanings, the word God exists as a physical feeling at this most outer edge of semantic realizations.

Unlike the Flying Spaghetti Monster, no other word is bigger in meaning than the word God.

You can deny the existence of the word God, but God still exists in words like "Time" which are eternal and universal. It's all a matter of dogma as to which is your favor word to use for God. Maybe you like using the word "real" for God. It all works.

Last edited:

sealchan

Would the psychology be brainwashing of children?
Mythology is just that, myths made up by humans.

No. I'm a "student" of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell. I dont approve of dogmatic brainwashing.

I think you attempts to pick a fight with me are poorly placed. I'm not the sort of literalist Christian you might be imagining.

I'm more standing at the fence line between faith and science close enough to get warm greetings and kind regards from across the fence.

I recommend you look through some of my other posts and replies in other threads. Then go find a more traditionally minded believer to challenge...in a relevant thread.

sealchan

Absolutely. God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word God represents is every possible thought or experience that has occurred or will ever occur. God is a container word holding every possible thought. The Universe is just a piece of the realization of God's omnipotence. God also represents nothingness as well.

Although God only exists in our use of words and language, at the outer edge of our mind where words like zero, infinity, and nothingness get their meanings, the word God exists as a physical feeling at this most out edge of semantic realizations.

Unlike the Flying Spaghetti Monster, no other word is bigger in meaning than the word God.

You can deny the existence of the word God, but God still exists in words like "Time" which are eternal and universal. It's all a matter of dogma as to which is your favor word to use for God.

Whether person or idea God understood along these lines can be deeply useful and meaningful. And all without intruding on the sometimes fragile ego of practical, demonstrable reality.

Timothy Spurlin

Although God only exists in our use of words and language, at the outer edge of our mind where words like zero, infinity, and nothingness get their meanings, the word God exists as a physical feeling at this most outer edge of semantic realizations.

You can deny the existence of the word God, but God still exists in words like "Time" which are eternal and universal. It's all a matter of dogma as to which is your favor word to use for God. Maybe you like using the word "real" for God. It all works.

So you don't even know the name of your god?
You still haven't proven your god is real.

Timothy Spurlin

No. I'm a "student" of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell. I dont approve of dogmatic brainwashing.

I think you attempts to pick a fight with me are poorly placed. I'm not the sort of literalist Christian you might be imagining.

I'm more standing at the fence line between faith and science close enough to get warm greetings and kind regards from across the fence.

I recommend you look through some of my other posts and replies in other threads. Then go find a more traditionally minded believer to challenge...in a relevant thread.

I ask you a question, and you say I'm trying to pick a fight. Was the question that hard to answer?

Are you a god of the gaps person?

74x12

so god can kill itself. good to have that cleared up.

Q-
But how do you know it is all powerful?
A-
You dont.
Jesus is God manifest. So yes God did put Himself to death in that sense.

How do we know God is all powerful? Because He's the truth. He's reality. So every power is God's.

ManSinha

How do we know God is all powerful? Because He's the truth. He's reality. So every power is God's.

That is a circular argument - which won't get you anywhere You and I may know and believe that - but there sure as heck is no proof of the objective verifiable kind

74x12

That is a circular argument - which won't get you anywhere You and I may know and believe that - but there sure as heck is no proof of the objective verifiable kind
She asked me how I know it. Not how she could know it. Two different questions.