• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Anchor of Faith

sealchan

Faith is a belief in something beyond proof. As such that faith could be seen as a bit too dissociated from practical reality. As such do we find that faith often reaches out beyond it's own natural domain to make one or more tenuous claims about the nature of reality for the sake of our psychological need to see something concrete and practical in our unproven beliefs?

Can we not live with a faith that reminds us of what I might call "the unbearable lightness of subjective meaning"?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my understading, faith is in the base of all spiritual practice until spiritual wisdom arise, then faith is stransformed to understanding

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Faith is a belief in something beyond proof. As such that faith could be seen as a bit too dissociated from practical reality. As such do we find that faith often reaches out beyond it's own natural domain to make one or more tenuous claims about the nature of reality for the sake of our psychological need to see something concrete and practical in our unproven beliefs?

Can we not live with a faith that reminds us of what I might call "the unbearable lightness of subjective meaning"?

Faith is not reliable. In my experience, it is as likely to let you down as not. It does not seem reasonable to me to invest heavily into faith. There are other ways to deal with one's psychological needs which doesn't require faith.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Faith in life is the definition of hope.
Well it is different to have faith in life and faith is spiritual practice :) You live for a period of time say 80 years, but the faith in spirituality has been there for many thousands of years. And life as a human being is not the goal (for me anyway)

ManSinha

Faith is a belief in something beyond proof

Faith is not reliable. In my experience, it is as likely to let you down as not. It does not seem reasonable to me to invest heavily into faith

As I scrolled thru this thread I found the quote from @Nakosis interesting

If you look back at the history of persecution especially religious persecution - humans do not have a good track record - I had a post earlier in which I provided graphic examples of how ordinary mortals had chosen to suffer unimaginable pain rather than give up their faith (or religion) - now there must be something driving these people in this direction over the millennia

Of course the comparisons in "modern" times would be human rights activists in places like the Middle East and Russia - which brings up a question - do they accept their lot based on principle? or faith?

74x12

I think faith is a hold on reality that is hidden from everyone because of evil forces that are in between us and the truth. The truth is hidden from everyone and Satan along with the other powerful princes are in the way and he holds sway over people through lies because of our sins against the truth. Sin against the truth is every false way. Has God hidden Himself from us? Or did we hide God in a myriad of lies? So faith alone overcomes the darkness and reaches to God.

God formed all things from the chaos and the Word of God gives it order. If we turn against the Word of God then we are scattered.

MonkeyFire

Well it is different to have faith in life and faith is spiritual practice :) You live for a period of time say 80 years, but the faith in spirituality has been there for many thousands of years. And life as a human being is not the goal (for me anyway)

Death isn't necessary if you believe in life. Faith in life next to love, and pacifism is single most sanctified thing known to man.

ManSinha

Faith in life next to love, and pacifism is single most sanctified thing known to man

That may be true to a large extent - in reality there are opposing forces that will not be pacified with pacifism - so there has to a readiness to stand firm

ManSinha

I think faith is a hold on reality that is hidden from everyone because of evil forces that are in between us and the truth. The truth is hidden from everyone and Satan along with the other powerful princes are in the way and he holds sway over people through lies because of our sins against the truth. Sin against the truth is every false way. Has God hidden Himself from us? Or did we hide God in a myriad of lies? So faith alone overcomes the darkness and reaches to God.

God formed all things from the chaos and the Word of God gives it order. If we turn against the Word of God then we are scattered.

That statement displays an enormous amount of faith in one perspective worldview - question though - is God as referred to - all powerful?

Faith is a belief in something beyond proof. ...

I have understood faith is actually faithfulness, which means loyalty. Christians should be loyal (faithful) to God and keep His words and remain in them. This is why it is said:

But the righteous will live by faith. If he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.

Hebrews 10:38

Righteous will have eternal life, because he is loyal to God. If person is not, then he doesn’t have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

ManSinha

Righteous will have eternal life, because he is loyal to God. If person is not, then he doesn’t have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Where is this eternal life and eternal punishment supposed to exist? I am told the Bible does not believe in heaven and hell

sealchan

In my understading, faith is in the base of all spiritual practice until spiritual wisdom arise, then faith is stransformed to understanding

So in your faith at any point, did you believe in something "tenuous" or something that practical considerations would easily discount? Like an afterlife or a God?

sealchan

from a practical perspective: without "faith" the concept of "trust" disappears

Trust in...what? The goodness of your fellow beings? That if you keep trying you might succeed? Such things can be demonstrated to be true or possible. But what about the existence of a "real god" or divine retribution?

sealchan

Faith is not reliable. In my experience, it is as likely to let you down as not. It does not seem reasonable to me to invest heavily into faith. There are other ways to deal with one's psychological needs which doesn't require faith.

I'm of the opinion that faith is absolutely necessary in all of our lives. I even think that it may be necessary for morality. I base this on Hofstadter's research into the Prisoners dilemma.

sealchan

Your life as a human being is not a goal? What else do you have to look at as a goal?