• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas pastor openly calls on 'Christian nationalists' to 'impose their values on society'

You are not forced to work. If you don't earn money, you don't pay taxes.

Even if I would not work, I still have to pay taxes, if I sell or buy something. And that forces people to work more, if they did not happen to get all their money as a gift, which is why it is slavery.

Do you ever make mistakes, 1213, or are so perfect that you so utterly perfect? There's a difference between "mistakes" and "lies" because of the issue of "intent, which every court in the country realizes.

And can you prove he intentionally lied? And is lie also not a mistake? Is there a proof that he intentionally lied to get money?

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
The problem is in every country. Leaving America would not solve it. Also, my point is just to say, it is hypocritical to be against slavery and at the same time support mandatory taxes. If Bible supports slavery, which I don't think it really does, it would be one the same side with all those who support mandatory taxes.

Why not just drop out of society altogether and live in a cave? They can't tax you if they can't find you.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Also, my point is just to say, it is hypocritical to be against slavery and at the same time support mandatory taxes.
Your comparison is a false equivalence on two levels. 1. When you pay taxes, you pay only a part of what you have earned, not everything. 2. The benefactor of taxes is society, i.e. yourself while the benefactor of slave work is the master.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is in every country. Leaving America would not solve it. Also, my point is just to say, it is hypocritical to be against slavery and at the same time support mandatory taxes. If Bible supports slavery, which I don't think it really does, it would be one the same side with all those who support mandatory taxes.

Perhaps, although it doesn't sound much like slavery if one gets to choose one's own "master," so to speak. Back during the time when the Bible was written, human society was much more primitive and the world was much less densely populated.

Back in those days, one could probably just leave the jurisdiction of wherever one was living, go off and live isolated in the wilderness and live off the land. No taxes, no government, no law or authority of any kind to answer to. I would imagine life would be short and harsh that way, but it was possible.

As an agnostic, I don't necessarily believe in the Bible. If there is a Creator, then it seems self-evident that we humans have been set up to become slaves, at least in the way our bodies and environment have been designed. If humans weren't designed so poorly and didn't have need of things like food, water, and air to survive, no one would have become slaves. If there is a God who intentionally set things up this way, then it seems He wanted us to become slaves - or at least, extremely vulnerable and weak.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And can you prove he intentionally lied? And is lie also not a mistake? Is there a proof that he intentionally lied to get money?
I'm not the one who said he knows if it was a lie or a mistake as the difference is intent, but you certainly did.

"Physician, heal thyself" and not be so quick to judge negatively others: Matthew 7[3] “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Your comparison is a false equivalence on two levels. 1. When you pay taxes, you pay only a part of what you have earned, not everything. 2. The benefactor of taxes is society, i.e. yourself while the benefactor of slave work is the master.

Slave also had benefits, food and place to live. And if the owner was good, it is possible that the slave got also other benefits. And on the other hand, taxpayer can be treated very badly even in modern era. Sorry, I don't see any meaningful difference.

...If humans weren't designed so poorly and didn't have need of things like food, water, and air to survive, no one would have become slaves. If there is a God who intentionally set things up this way, then it seems He wanted us to become slaves - or at least, extremely vulnerable and weak.

Interesting thought. I think the existence of Bible proves God doesn't want people to be slaves.

...Don’t become bondservants of men.
1 Cor. 7:23

Heyo

Veteran Member
Slave also had benefits, food and place to live. And if the owner was good, it is possible that the slave got also other benefits. And on the other hand, taxpayer can be treated very badly even in modern era. Sorry, I don't see any meaningful difference.
Would you like to become my slave? You get food and a place to live and you won't have to pay taxes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting thought. I think the existence of Bible proves God doesn't want people to be slaves.

Actions speak louder than words. Or, as the Bible puts it, (Matthew 7:20 | Religious Forums) "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

As a general rule, I look at what people do, along with the results and consequences of their actions, as opposed to what they just say.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The Bible endorses slavery: The owning of human beings as property.

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

The Bible endorses slavery: The owning of human beings as property.

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

It was accepted for Jews to buy slaves. And I think it is fine. If the other nations are so evil that they are willing to sell their own people, I think it is good, if they are bought by Jews that are not allowed to sell own people and have good rules for life. But I think it is also good to notice this:

The word that came to Jeremiah from Yahweh, after that the king Zedekiah had made a covenant with all the people who were at Jerusalem, to proclaim liberty to them; that every man should let his man-servant, and every man his maid-servant, who is a Hebrew or a Hebrewess, go free; that none should make bondservants of them, to wit, of a Jew his brother. All the princes and all the people obeyed, who had entered into the covenant, that everyone should let his man-servant, and everyone his maid-servant, go free, that none should make bondservants of them any more; they obeyed, and let them go: but afterwards they turned, and caused the servants and the handmaids, whom they had let go free, to return, and brought them into subjection for servants and for handmaids. Therefore the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah from Yahweh, saying, At the end of seven years you shall let go every man his brother who is a Hebrew, who has been sold to you, and has served you six years, you shall let him go free from you: but your fathers didn't listen to me, neither inclined their ear. You were now turned, and had done that which is right in my eyes, in proclaiming liberty every man to his neighbor; and you had made a covenant before me in the house which is called by my name: but you turned and profaned my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom you had let go free at their pleasure, to return; and you brought them into subjection, to be to you for servants and for handmaids. Therefore thus says Yahweh: you have not listened to me, to proclaim liberty, every man to his brother, and every man to his neighbor: behold, I proclaim to you a liberty, says Yahweh, to the sword, to the pestilence, and to the famine; and I will make you to be tossed back and forth among all the kingdoms of the earth.
Jeremiah 34:8-17

And:

Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Mat. 7:12

Even if they are allowed to own, I believe anyone who follows Jesus, would allow people to be free.