• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas pastor openly calls on 'Christian nationalists' to 'impose their values on society'

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think all slaves should be free, that is why I am against mandatory taxes. Everyone who must pay taxes is a slave.
So you want to be a freeloader? You want free police, free fire/rescue response teams, free education, free roads, free infrastucture, free, free, free everything that taxes pay for?

Tell you what, you can live free outside the city limits in a shack off a dirt road. If you want to come in to the city for healthcare or food, well you have to pay to get in. Hey, why should all the taxpayers for the city allow you free access to conveniences that taxes pay for since you don't want to be a slave?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Everyone who must pay taxes is a slave.
That means everyone--even ancient Greek and Medieval British aristocracy--was a slave. They were among the few people to actually possess freedom and be looked upon by others as free men. In Greece the wealthy were basically the only tax payers. But instead of cry and whine and complain about poor me and how I'm being robbed they saw that everything they had they had it because of the city and they generally not only paid willingly but paid more than what their actual tax bill was.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No. Anyone who pays taxes follows the law and hopefully realizes that "society" is not just one very selfish person.
Interesting story, but the Joker (yes, the Joker of the Batman world) won't even mess with IRS. All the stuff he does amd gets away with, trying to defraud Uncle Sam's tax collector is even too crazy for him.

That means everyone--even ancient Greek and Medieval British aristocracy--was a slave. They were among the few people to actually possess freedom and be looked upon by others as free men. In Greece the wealthy were basically the only tax payers. But instead of cry and whine and complain about poor me and how I'm being robbed they saw that everything they had they had it because of the city and they generally not only paid willingly but paid more than what their actual tax bill was.

If they paid willingly and voluntarily, they were not slaves. I was speaking only about mandatory taxes. And also, the difference seems to be in that the Greek aristocracy did it, because they benefitted from it, so it was more like an investment for them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, why is mistake Alex Jones made called a lie?
Do you ever make mistakes, 1213, or are so perfect that you so utterly perfect? There's a difference between "mistakes" and "lies" because of the issue of "intent, which every court in the country realizes.

If he told a lie, so be it and that's on him, but he does have a track record of making goofy statements.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If they paid willingly and voluntarily, they were not slaves. I was speaking only about mandatory taxes. And also, the difference seems to be in that the Greek aristocracy did it, because they benefitted from it, so it was more like an investment for them.
So do taxpayers today. You invest into infrastructure and security with your taxes. You benefit from it in many ways.
There are very few places on earth were you don't have to pay taxes but you could try the Amazon jungle. The tribes there don't pay taxes - and they don't have the infrastructure a western city has.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
There is no meaningful difference. Slave had to works for someone else, like also taxpayer must.
There is a GIGANTIC difference.

Slaves are human beings who are owned as property by other human beings.

Look, I know you have to defend everything in the Bible, apparently at all costs, but let's drop the false equivocations here. What is described in the Bible is the owning of human beings as one's property, including your slave's children. The Bible says to buy your slaves from surrounding nations and that they are "your money." That is nothing like paying taxes in exchange for services. Nothing.

F1fan

Veteran Member
So why do some responsible members of society pay for everything and freeloaders like you don't have to? Aren't you opposed to freeloaders? Don't you think members of a society have a civil responsibility FOR their society?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is no meaningful difference. Slave had to works for someone else, like also taxpayer must.
Even if you work for yourself you still pay taxes. If you are a pro-gambler you are a slave to no one, beholden to no one, but you still pay taxes.
Taxes are generally an investment. Like how kings of old when he'd collect taxes to repair a bridge. Or today how we get firefighter and police services.
And don't forget, concerning this very subject and issue, "Render unto Ceasar the things that are Caesar's." (Matthew 22:15-22)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If they paid willingly and voluntarily, they were not slaves. I was speaking only about mandatory taxes.

No one is forced to remain a citizen of America. People can leave and emigrate to another country. Everyone who stays, then, is staying willingly and voluntarily, and therefore not slaves.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
If they paid willingly and voluntarily, they were not slaves. I was speaking only about mandatory taxes.

I pay my taxes because I understand that it's part of my responsibility as a citizen. I don't find it particularly pleasant, but I do it willingly and voluntarily -- like going to the dentist.

How about you? Are you a slave to your teeth?

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Apologies if this has already been brought up, but historically speaking, Christians have met their worst abuse and persecution from... other Christians.

I wonder how the pastor will respond if he gets his wish to find that his particular branch of Christianity isn't government-approved?

No one is forced to remain a citizen of America. People can leave and emigrate to another country. Everyone who stays, then, is staying willingly and voluntarily, and therefore not slaves.

The problem is in every country. Leaving America would not solve it. Also, my point is just to say, it is hypocritical to be against slavery and at the same time support mandatory taxes. If Bible supports slavery, which I don't think it really does, it would be one the same side with all those who support mandatory taxes.