• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas bikers in deadly shootout at Waco restaurant

Aquitaine

It's because those few hundred deaths a year (NB many times as many as ever died from terrorism in the US, and how many new laws has that spawned?) always happen to someone else.. and those who die aren't in a position to argue for gun control.

Why not.. continue to let people own as many guns as they like. But stop selling ammunition.. or sell bullets where one in a hundred or thereabouts, will block the weapon and render it useless.. Or backfire so it blows your hand off.

I'm sure you and half the internet have already seen it, but your comment reminds me of this clip:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Here./....
Let me repeat to save you looking back.... :D

GUNS!
It;'s a constant 'stress', and and permanent 'enslavement'. :D
Let's go out for a lunch..... OK, but don't forget the guns!
Going shopping?....... be sure top take your gun!
Model boating at the park? You need a gun with you for that!
Daughter: We're just going cycling through the woods. Mum: No you're not!
Trip to the cinema? Take the gun!

One of the things that I have learned on RF over three+ years is that the quality of life in the USA is spoiled somewhat, because of ...... guns!

GET THE POINT?

:D

Doesn't bother me (or anyone I know) to pack heat at all. As a matter of fact it's somewhat liberating. Maybe you should hang around with a few souls that don't mind taking their personal safety into their own hands, so to speak.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Doesn't bother me (or anyone I know) to pack heat at all. As a matter of fact it's somewhat liberating. Maybe you should hang around with a few souls that don't mind taking their personal safety into their own hands, so to speak.
I see carrying as more of a burden....like buying insurance.
We must always take care to be safe & stealthy.

Aquitaine

Not just thier own safety, but the safety of potential by-standers if they accidentally hit them.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
No.........
This is a total delusion......
There is nothing liberating about having to carry guns everywhere, all the time.....
It's not freedom, but a form of confinement.....
It's not liberating, but more like a form of control.....
And your personal safety is unlikely to be in your own hands..... humans just make too many mistakes.

But you're stuck with it, forever, so maybe it's best for you if you embrace the illusion of a better quality of life, but it's just some kind of impostor.
Tomorrow I may take a day off from rebuilding our little home, in which case I will trek through the Clowes and Thornden woods the 7 miles to Canterbury, with only the price of a decent lunch and a bus pass in my pocket. It'll be all that I'll need. You couldn't do it. You've got your own private jail sentence about such a simple outing.
It's OK..... you're used to it, maybe. But how sad.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I see carrying as more of a burden....like buying insurance.
Nah......
Insurance is all about transferring risks to others.........
Having to drag shooters everywhere transfers nothing. It's just that, a drag. :D

We must always take care to be safe & stealthy.
Yeah.... you must......!
I remember your advice to a member who wanted to go cycling............ The list of do's was worrying.
Care and Stealth? How, on a simple walk and picnic, could you relax?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not just thier own safety, but the safety of potential by-standers if they accidentally hit them.
Accidental shootings...USA...?

How many people get shot for knocking on a door?....!
I wonder how many Americans answer their door holding a gun...?
There are loads of internet reports of people getting shot for knocking on a front door. Here is one....
  1. Black Renisha McBride shot dead after car crash in white ...
    Home | Daily Mail Onlineshot-dead-car-crash-wh...6 Nov 2013 - MailOnline US - news, sport, celebrity, science and health stories ... A 19-year-old black woman is shot dead after knocking on a door to get ...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nah......
Insurance is all about transferring risks to others.........
Having to drag shooters everywhere transfers nothing. It's just that, a drag. :D
"Having to" sounds so obligatory.
I choose to.
Yeah.... you must......!
I remember your advice to a member who wanted to go cycling............ The list of do's was worrying.
Care and Stealth? How, on a simple walk and picnic, could you relax?
Relax?
That' 99% of me life.
Need me some variation.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Let's talk about how the dead and injured are white thugs and that some of them were shot by police and why no one is rioting in Waco "protesting police brutality."

Wirey

Fartist
Let's talk about how the dead and injured are white thugs and that some of them were shot by police and why no one is rioting in Waco "protesting police brutality."

Okay. These are people who opted out of society, and made their neighbourhood better by dying. Any objections?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm familiar with the objection. All I can really say is that basically every other Western nation has these common sense laws in place - and lo and behold, their gun violence rates are considerably lower. Mass shootings are largely unheard of. The laws work. Only in America do we retain this stubborn idea that more people having guns means less people will use them.

And banning automobiles would rid society of vehicular manslaughter.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Interesting point. Maybe accusations of excessive force will arise once more of the media becomes aware that some of the biker gangs also had hispanic members. ;)

And banning automobiles would rid society of vehicular manslaughter.
Yes, it would (or at least drastically reduce it). But I don't think we need to go that far in either case.

Instead, like we do already with automobiles, I see no need to ban all guns so long as we strictly regulate them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes, it would (or at least drastically reduce it). But I don't think we need to go that far in either case.

Instead, like we do already with automobiles, I see no need to ban all guns so long as we strictly regulate them.
Yeah.
Boy did that work well for pot. We should do more of those really successful policies.
Tom