• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Pratchett

J Bryson

The writer of several comedy novels including Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman), Terry Pratchett is inarguably best known for his extensive Discworld series. Combining tongue-in-cheek humor, social commentary, a grab-bag of high and low fantasy tropes (usually averted), and some of the most well-detailed characters in the English language, this series has maintained its popularity since his first outing in The Colour of Magic.

While perusing the threads on here, I've found a number of Pratchett fans. It's time for a thread dedicated to one of the best writers alive today.

I'm a fan of the City Watch books more than others (Night Watch tying with Thud! as a personal all-time favorite), but I know that there's a sizeable Witches of Lancre contingent, and several rather fierce Rincewind fans. Not to mention Death, of course, who I believe has appeared in every book to date, including more than a few of his own.

So, favorite character(s)? Specific works? Specific series? Moments and quotes that stay with you? Or comments about Sir Terry in general?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
eek2.gif

What?!
No links!?

TerryPratchettBooks.com

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm reading Wintersmith right now. (Well, as soon as I'm done with this post). I love the idea of the Wee Free Men, who believe they died in a lesser world and this world (the world the stories take place in, anyway) is paradise.

rojse

RF Addict
I've read just about every Terry Pratchett book, excepting one or two non-Discworld novels, some of which aren't too easy to find.

I would have to recommend "Small Gods" and "Good Omens" - the first is a Discworld satire about religion, starring a god whom is in the shape of a tortoise, and the second is a comedy about the apocalypse, and is co-written with Neil Gaiman.

And, to improve the list of links on this thread, here are some short stories by Pratchett:

Theatre of Cruelty:
Terry Pratchett: Theatre of Cruelty

Troll Bridge
Terry Pratchett: Theatre of Cruelty

Turntables of the Night
Terry Pratchett: Turntables of the Night

Death and What Comes Next
The L-Space Web: Death and What Comes Next

The Sea and Little Fishes (Download)
Terry Pratchett - Discworld - The Sea And Little Fishes

J Bryson

Oh, that's fantastic! But "Troll Bridge" actually leads to "Theatre of Cruelty" again. Which is fine, since I hadn't read it before, and wanted to do so again immediately.

Here's Troll Bridge

Thanks for the leads. I loved them all.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Pratchett is without doubt one of the greatest writers ever (in my opinion).

Everytime I drive back to my home county I drive through Wiltshire and think, "I'm in the same county as Pratchett" and I feel at ease.

I think my favourite Discworld novel is Pyramids. It was the first ever Discworld novel I'd ever read and it just stuck with me. I also thought Night Watch was excellent and I love the character of Sam Vimes.

I'm currently reading Thud! which is also very good.

The man is a legend and anyone who hasn't read his work should get a Discworld novel ASAP!

J Bryson

I didn't see the movie version of it, although I should, since the fact that it's not my favorite book means that I'll be less annoyed if they muck it up. I have a fondness for the BBC's Hogfather, though.

Yerda

Veteran Member
My favourite character is the wee gnome who headbutts everybody and appears to speak with a Scottish accent. I like the Watch books best, but my favourite of all is The Truth.

J Bryson

My favourite character is the wee gnome who headbutts everybody and appears to speak with a Scottish accent. I like the Watch books best, but my favourite of all is The Truth.

Wee Mad Arthur!

Interesting synchronicity that you posted this today, as I just finished re-reading "The Truth" this morning. William de Worde is an excellent character, but I think that Otto is my favorite out of that work. However, my favorite character is currently Moist von Lipwig, con man extraordinaire, Postmaster General of Ankh-Morpork, and recent head of the bank. Rumor in fan circles has it that Vetinari is grooming him as the next Patrician. I'm not sure that I believe it, but I can see how one could see his story as headed in that direction.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I must admit, I read Pratchett books like candy-- I don't go into them looking for depth: I know that they will be well-written, witty, and interesting.

I've read Discworld books pretty willy-nilly and so I also tend to get confused and forget which I have read yet or not. I think I've read the Colour of Magic like three times now, because each time I see it I think "Oh, this looks like a good book", completely forgetting that I know it to be a good book and I've already read it, dangit.

Miskellybones

Seeking Gnosis
I'm a huge Pratchet fan, particulary of the Wee Free Men (I identify with them XD) However, despite enjoying "Going Postal" I was dissapointed by Moist's second appearance, which was pretty much Going Postal but with a bank. However I would love to see him as a politician - he would probably invent parliament or something of that sort!

J Bryson

I must admit, I read Pratchett books like candy-- I don't go into them looking for depth: I know that they will be well-written, witty, and interesting.

I've read Discworld books pretty willy-nilly and so I also tend to get confused and forget which I have read yet or not. I think I've read the Colour of Magic like three times now, because each time I see it I think "Oh, this looks like a good book", completely forgetting that I know it to be a good book and I've already read it, dangit.

I don't go into Pratchett books looking for depth, but I seem to find it anyway. For example, as a meditation on prejudice, war, and religious enmity, Thud! works very well.

J Bryson

I'm a huge Pratchet fan, particulary of the Wee Free Men (I identify with them XD) However, despite enjoying "Going Postal" I was dissapointed by Moist's second appearance, which was pretty much Going Postal but with a bank. However I would love to see him as a politician - he would probably invent parliament or something of that sort!

I enjoyed Making Money, but I can see how it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. There was rumor of a third Moist von Lipwig book to be entitled Death And Taxes, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Supposedly, the next book will have to do with Unseen University getting together a football squad.