• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tempe Police Officers are asked to leave Starbucks because people felt unsafe

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then they do the typical one-sided protest, like the progressives. What ever happened to originality and character? Where's the dignity?

...I know I'm not going down that road. It's a dead end.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because job and club are closer than job and race.
But if the question is "Who is more likely to assault me in some way?" then that difference ceases to be the only factor.

The main factor will be "Who am I more likely to be assaulted by, given the information available?"

Unless, of course, one is too politically correct to recognize data and prefers to stick to the ideology. Then, information won't matter.

Reminds me of Creationists who don't want to hear about data that interferes with their ideology.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No.
What would be rational would be to compare the rates of violent crime between the two groups I mentioned.
Young black men commit vastly more violent crimes than cops. That is what makes them more dangerous to be around, for an ordinary innocent person.

Comparing cops to Hells Angels just tells me that you aren't interested in a rational conversation.
Tom
It would be a tough comparison.
Cops commit many many illegal acts, but they're largely
unaccountable because who would pursue & arrest them?
Other cops?
Barsh!
Flimshaw!
Crotchblatz!

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've actually been assaulted by police officers. I've also had them barge into my home while I was sleeping and wake me up in bed, I KID YOU NOT!

...My daughter called 911 and hung up. She was 6. They just walked right in, and seperated us and asked her if I hurt her. :rolleyes: ...Stupid.

Then when I was upset, they started calling me names, throwing the F-bomb in front of my young children. I had just woke up, I didn't know what the heck was going on.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Other cops?
Barsh!
Flimshaw!
Crotchblatz!
There is, however, data available. Not that you people who get your news from NPR would know about it.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Other cops?
Barsh!
Flimshaw!
Crotchblatz!
That's always been an age-old issue. Who's going to police the police? Internal affairs?

It's why I'm a huge proponent of mandatory body cams.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've actually been assaulted by police officers. I've had them barge into my home while I was sleeping and wake me up in bed, I KID YOU NOT!

...My daughter called 911 and hung up. She was 6. They just walked right in, and seperated us and asked her if I hurt her. :rolleyes: ...Stupid.
Let's compare that to the numbers of violent crimes perpetrated by young black men,
Or would that interfere with your already held ideology?
Tom

Curious George

Veteran Member
But if the question is "Who is more likely to assault me in some way?" then that difference ceases to be the only factor.

The main factor will be "Who am I more likely to be assaulted by, given the information available?"

Unless, of course, one is too politically correct to recognize data and prefers to stick to the ideology. Then, information won't matter.

Reminds me of Creationists who don't want to hear about data that interferes with their ideology.
Tom
And it reminds me of people who like to try to distort statistics to say something they do not.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let's compare that to the numbers of violent crimes perpetrated by young black men,
Or would that interfere with your already held ideology?
Tom

But I'm totally white! I even have blond hair in real life!

I've never been assaulted by a black person.... Except for that one time I got robbed, and I chased him with a steel pipe. I said "I'm gonna bury this in your skull!" :D (that really happened BTW). He got $300.00 cash, but threw the empty wallet at me when I was chasing him... :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is, however, data available. Not that you people who get your news from NPR would know about it.
Tom
You claim data without presenting any?
Bear in mind my point that data on cops committing crimes will be unreliable.
It happens more often than one might know, eg, false testimony in court, false
arrest, assault, theft, threats, coercion, disturbing the peace, framing people.
These things happen. I've mentioned only those I know of from experience
both personal & of friends. Not once were the offending public servants
ever prosecuted or even entered into anyone's statistics.

You liberals should try reading The Drudge Report.
It'll take you out of your comfortable echo chamber.

Curious George

Veteran Member
This greatly reminds me of the lunch counters in the South in the 60s.
Serving black people upset the regular clientele.

How'd that work out?
Tom
That worked out to the passing of legislation that protected racial discrimination at places serving the public.

Are you suggesting that police face similar discrimination to minorities in the 60s?

Curious George

Veteran Member
You claim data without presenting any?
Bear in mind my point that data on cops committing crimes will be unreliable.
It happens more often than one might know, eg, false testimony in court, false
arrest, assault, theft, threats, coercion, disturbing the peace, framing people.
These things happen. I've mentioned only those I know of from experience
both personal & of friends. Not once were the offending public servants
ever prosecuted or even entered into anyone's statistics.
Sometimes they are:

The Henry A. Wallace Police Crime Database

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I assume because doing so would involve upsetting more people in the instance.

If you were a business owner and a group of 6 hells angels walked in and you were approached by numerous people saying that their presence was making them uncomfortable would you ask the hells angels to leave?

I personally would not. But I can understand if someone would. Is that discrimination? Absolutely. But discriminating based on a chosen trait is very different than discriminating based on an immutable trait.

Just a side note that came to mind. There's a biker bar not too far from me that has a sign out front - "No club colors." Seems like a reasonable rule which applies to everybody.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's always been an age-old issue. Who's going to police the police? Internal affairs?

It's why I'm a huge proponent of mandatory body cams.
I'd say we need an independent agency to handle them.
Even the courts are too cozy with the cops.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I've actually been assaulted by police officers. I've also had them barge into my home while I was sleeping and wake me up in bed, I KID YOU NOT!

Then when I was upset, they started calling me names, throwing the F-bomb in front of my young children. I had just woke up, I didn't know what the heck was going on.
Looking back on this incident, do you believe they handled themselves professionally? Was there recourse? Should we accept this level of behavior from people whom we entrust police authority.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Looking back on this incident, do you believe they handled themselves professionally? Was there recourse? Should we accept this level of behavior from people whom we entrust police authority.

They were horrible. They broke the law themselves and told lies.