• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoism - Misfortune comes from having a body.

Onkara

What is your philosophical understanding of the bold line below? Why does a body result in misfortune from a Taoist perspective?

Thirteen
Accept disgrace willingly.
Accept misfortune as the human condition.
What do you mean by "Accept disgrace willingly"?
Accept being unimportant.
Do not be concerned with loss or gain.
This is called "accepting disgrace willingly."

What do you mean by "Accept misfortune as the human condition"?
Misfortune comes from having a body.
Without a body, how could there be misfortune?

Surrender yourself humbly; then you can be trusted to care for all things.
Love the world as your own self; then you can truly care for all things
Source: Tao Te Ching, English by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English, Terebess Asia Online (TAO)

Onkara

Hi Nowhere Man
Not sure I understand your answer "man in oil". Wish to elaborate a little for me? :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hi Nowhere Man
Not sure I understand your answer "man in oil". Wish to elaborate a little for me? :)
There was a scene in circle of iron. Unfortunately i can find only the Italian version on the tube.

[youtube]ltzIny0w6G4[/youtube]
Un rimedio a tutti i problemi - YouTube

Basically it involves a man ( played by eli wallach)who thinks problems can be solved by dissolving the lower half along with a certain body part that causes so much grief. Cord ( played by jeff cooper )makes a realisation and walks away laughing.

It's a good scene that fits your op well methinks.

I'll try to find the english unless you know Italian.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
To give my 2 cents........ Trying to correct what is natural leads to imbalance. In a nutshell.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think it's basically saying the body is fallible and impermanent.
And that once you get over that, you've overcome a hindrance.
You are accepting imperfection, which is the only thing that is paradoxically truly perfect.

Onkara

I know. That brought out a chuckle as well. That and " You should see a doctor". Cord. "I am one". Eli
Yes, great stuff :D I want to see the whole movie now.

You are accepting imperfection, which is the only thing that is paradoxically truly perfect.
Your thoughts ring true with me. It is perhaps impermanence and impermance is a misfortune. Seems a bit negative if I word it like that as if life is a misfortune, don't you think, bro or am I missing something? :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I think you answer is in ONE

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth.
The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
Ever desireless, one can see the mystery.
Ever desiring, one sees the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name; this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery.
[/FONT]

The mind can be desire less but the body is desiring. It is in desiring that we get misfortune.

Straw Dog

Sometimes that which appears to only be bad may have long-term ripple effects that bring about that which appears to be good. Likewise, that which appears to only be good may be the catalyst for unforeseen negative effects down the road. Either way, we're left exactly where we are in the moment.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Somewhat Buddhist and Hindu, I'd say. Particulary the Bhagavad Gita verses about the impermanence of the body and attachments.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I really have to read that book again.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We were in Target one day, and there was a mother with a young boy. He was acting up, so the mother said "stop, or there will be consequences!" My partner and I looked at each other and said "consequences schmonsequences". We don't think the mother heard us, but we started laughing like two nuts. :D