• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk to me about your personal journey/path/Dharma/walk/way?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Do you see any possible way that you might be able and willing to talk to me somewhere in these forums, about some part of your personal journey, path, Dharma, walk, or way of life, online or offline? If you don't think in any of those terms, however you think about what's most important to you about the way you live your life. If it makes a difference what my reasons are, I think it's for me to learn whatever I can from you, and for you to find some encouragement and support in our conversation, for living your life the way you believe in living it. It's a part of my journey where I"m dreaming an impossible dream, and reaching for an unreachable star, on the Internet.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you see any possible way that you might be able and willing to talk to me somewhere in these forums, about some part of your personal journey, path, Dharma, walk, or way of life, online or offline? If you don't think in any of those terms, however you think about what's most important to you about the way you live your life. If it makes a difference what my reasons are, I think it's for me to learn whatever I can from you, and for you to find some encouragement and support in our conversation, for living your life the way you believe in living it. It's a part of my journey where I"m dreaming an impossible dream, and reaching for an unreachable star, on the Internet.

As a result of this forum and my cities interfaith council I found myself in front of a crowd of about 18,000 people or around 15% of my cities population saying a prayer for unity.

A city united

10 seconds into the video is the moment.

It has been one of many opportunities to stand in solidarity with my Muslim brothers and sisters.

50 candles were lit, one for each person who lost their life in this senseless massacre.

The journey continues as our interfaith council works towards building unity and overcoming religious prejudice.

Ellen Brown

My heart goes out to you. Life can be unbearably lonely and uncertain at times. It is for me and I'm pretty sure that at times my suffering is a consequence of my own actions.

I haven't, and won't give up on God, but it seems that the rest of the belief systems are but a vain guess at what might be. One day perhaps the Creator will wish to talk with me???

Jim

Nets of Wonder
As a result of this forum and my cities interfaith council I found myself in front of a crowd of about 18,000 people or around 15% of my cities population saying a prayer for unity.

A city united

10 seconds into the video is the moment.

It has been one of many opportunities to stand in solidarity with my Muslim brothers and sisters.

50 candles were lit, one for each person who lost their life in this senseless massacre.

The journey continues as our interfaith council works towards building unity and overcoming religious prejudice.
Thank you. That was a good example of what I was asking for.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
My heart goes out to you. Life can be unbearably lonely and uncertain at times. It is for me and I'm pretty sure that at times my suffering is a consequence of my own actions.

I haven't, and won't give up on God, but it seems that the rest of the belief systems are but a vain guess at what might be. One day perhaps the Creator will wish to talk with me???
Now, whenever I start to feel disoriented, it always helps me to remember that I want to help spread love. There's never any doubt in my mind about that. Also, there's never any doubt in my mind about doing some kind of work with and for children.

I don't remember anything that I've learned to do when I feel all alone in the world. All I can think of is to just embrace it, and wait for it to get better. I don't know how to explain what I mean by embracing it, and I don't know any better word for it. Maybe, like Elton John says, turn on those sad songs, about feeling all alone in the world.

I'm wondering, what are you thinking, feeling or doing about God, that you won't give up on? Some ideas about Him? Some hopes you have about Him? You won't give up on trying to please Him or learn to do His will?

"The rest of the belief systems"? The rest of the belief systems besides which ones? The rest of the belief systems besides yours? Do you see God talking to you in some scriptures? How would you like Him to talk with you? Do you mean, like a back-and-forth conversation with a person?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think theology doesn't matter. Dharma matters. All people can believe whatever they like, but they should follow dharma. Dharma means living ethical and doing good to yourself and others. :)
I like that way of thinking. The more I look at it, the better I like it. Is there anything you could tell me about how you're following Dharma?

syo

I like that way of thinking. The more I look at it, the better I like it. Is there anything you could tell me about how you're following Dharma?
In my understanding, it is living in harmony with yourself and with others. We are unique beings but we also have common traits. We want to express ourselves but we also want to help others in a community. The key is all beings live happily. I understand that people who hurt others, do this because they are in pain. We can cure each others pain with love. All religions speak about love and being nice and helpful to each other.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
In my understanding, it is living in harmony with yourself and with others. We are unique beings but we also have common traits. We want to express ourselves but we also want to help others in a community. The key is all beings live happily. I understand that people who hurt others, do this because they are in pain. We can cure each others pain with love. All religions speak about love and being nice and helpful to each other.
I like all that. I'm glad to know that you think that way. Are there any examples you could tell me of what you do, or try to do for all that? Does it include any learning, conscious effort, or conscious aims?

syo

I like all that. I'm glad to know that you think that way. Are there any examples you could tell me of what you do, or try to do for all that? Does it include any learning, conscious effort, or conscious aims?
Actually I was found depressed and I'm seeing a therapist and I'm on medication. I try to do things I like and at work I am polite and try to do my best. :)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I'm sorry to read that you're in a bad situation, @Jim . The problem is if you are not satisfied inside there's not much you can do, you will always look for others to fill your void. What I learned is that you have to take care of your own soul. Learning about religion or psychology alone is not the only solution, but it is an important part of the solution. It may help you to understand what you need. Coming up with a crude example (I am an ex-Catholic):. Somebody who misses his mother might find solace in thinking or meditating about Mary, the mother of Jesus. Making religion more heart-felt and less legalistic. Again, I can only give you this general example but I hope you get the idea. Take care.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@Jim , I've been thinking about your posts. I think dissent and diversity of opinions is human nature and necessary. History shows that areas in which everybody agrees 100% with the dominant ideology tend rather not to be nice places, even if it was established with good intentions. I know dissenters exist there,too, they are just silenced or coerced to make lip confessions to the party line (I grew up in a commie country).

Second, I think that if people want to make spiritual progress, they should try to be less "religious" and more "truly spiritual". Religion often creates borders, while true spiritualists often "meet in the middle", because regardless of the religion, the human mind always works the same way.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Sirona I was glad to see another post from you. Your first one seemed thoughtful and kind to me. One possible way I see for people to communicate heart-to-heart across the widest divides if we want to, is by telling each other our stories. It might take a lot of time, patience, and perseverance, and there might better ways, but I’ve seen it happen that way. If we focus on our stories, our personal experiences, and the thoughts and feelings that go with them, any two people might be able to do that, across the widest divides between ideologies. I think maybe everyone really knows that, but sometimes we have other priorities.

You said “The human mind always works the same way.” That reminds me of a thought that I’ve had, that a common ground for all of us might be in our human nature, including at its worst. In fact, I’ve thought that possibly the awareness of our oneness might spread more from seeing the worst of human nature in all groups and categories of people including our own, than by seeing the best of it. A question for me is, how much farther will we have to fall, for people to see that oneness in our human nature, and learn to love each other, enough to stop and reverse our fall?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ve been thinking about how to answer my own question, to talk about my own journey or path. My first thought is about when I wanted to explore a pagan path, after spending some time in a pagan forum.Some people in the forum taught me about grounding, centering and shielding. Then they talked about a totem, and about the Tarot. I asked about how to choose a Tarot deck, and they said it would choose me. That’s exactly what happened! The first thing I saw when I went to a pagan shop, calling to me, was the Tarot of Oz. I can’t begin to tell you how perfect that was for me. My shield is Dorothy and her companions!

I asked one of my aunts what animal she thought, thinking of me, and she said wolf because I’m so loyal.

That reminds me of when I learned to listen to trees. I was at a race relations workshop at a monastery, and during a break I went for a walk outside. There was a faint breeze, and looking up at some trees with their branches waving up and down I saw and felt them talking to me! Not out loud in words. What I heard in my mind was like in the Charlie Brown movies when you see the legs and feet of some adult and you hear “Wawawa-wawa-wah! I didn’t understand the words, but I could feel them communicating something to my heart. I told my daughter about it, and she had always felt trees talking that way and never thought there was anything unusual about it.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@Jim if you want to tell a story it might be best to write it down first. Maybe start a journal here. It might "compel" you to structure your thoughts and explain how you got from A to B. It also may make it easier for an "outsider" to understand your background better and to see a more complete picture in order to give specific advice. Take care. :greenheart:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think that I need to clarify what I wanted to do in this thread. It was to practice one of my ideas for Internet discussions, to help bring out some possibilities that I see in them. I actually didn't, and still don't, see any possibility that what I would like to happen will happen, as much as I would like it to, but I decided to try anyway. That's what I meant by "impossible dream" and unreachable star." The reason I talked about my own journey and path was to help clarify what I was inviting other people to do.

What I meant to invite people to do in this thread was to give examples of what they have been doing in their daily lives, and how that relates to their own personal journey/path/Dharma/walk/way. Some people, before they would do that, might wonder why I'm inviting people to do that, so I tried to explain my reasons.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
@Jim , to be fair, I have nothing against somebody's individual right to be a Bahai, but I think I have to tell you that I am sceptical of Baha'ullah's claim that "all religions are one". I had only little contact with Bahais IRL, but what I experienced made me a little wary. I think discussing about religions may be used as a way to get a foot in the door, similar to the practice of some Christians of offering you a cookie, asking you about how you're doing and becoming your "friend".

To answer your question about the religious practice in daily life, as for me, I am in transition from Catholicism to Hinduism. I pray on beads and keep religious images like I used to do when I was a Catholic; however, despite these outward similarities, these two faiths are not the same, and the meaning of these actions depends on the background that those religious systems give them. So, as for my custom of praying on beads and keeping religious images, I don't know how helpful this information could be to to you.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Sirona Thank you. I’m feeling intensely grateful for your frankness, and for your generosity in helping me with this in spite of some doubts you might have about my intentions. If you do have doubts, you don’t need to worry about it hurting my feelings. For whatever it might be worth, I’m not intending for this to be another “all religions are one” thread.

I’m interested in what you said about differences in meaning between Catholicism and Hinduism, in the beads and images. I’d like to know more about that if you wouldn’t mind telling me.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I’m interested in what you said about differences in meaning between Catholicism and Hinduism, in the beads and images. I’d like to know more about that if you wouldn’t mind telling me.

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions, and it also would be helpful if you told me which religions you are familiar with besides the Bahai faith. I saw you mentioned Paganism.

Last edited: