• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk to me about your personal journey/path/Dharma/walk/way?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
As a Buddhist i have gone thru some stages in my practice, from refusing science all together, to understanding that Buddha him self said it is ok to do research outside the teaching, actually he did say that was a good thing. Because if I as a buddhist can find fault in the teaching i do not need to follow that part of the teaching. But in my research within buddhism i have not yet found that "big" fault that lead me to only look at science, but i found a middle way. to look at both :)
If there’s any more you’d like to say about that, I’m interested. Have you talked about that anywhere in these forums, about your middle way, and examples of how you look at both?
Well i would say that to be spiritual is a big part of me, but to understand the physical world it is good to have science to explain it :). Buddhism is actually not so far away from science in many ways, because both paths are investigation of reality. the big difference is that buddhism also have the teaching of the unseen or mystical if you want to call it that.

The middle path that Buddha Sakyamuni was teaching s a good example of how to live our life. To not be extreme and to not be ignorant toward anything in life. And to do our own investigation in to what does work and what does not work in the spiritual path.
"Both paths are investigation of reality." I like that!

If it isn't too personal, could you talk to me about some of the investigation that you've done?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I try to do things I like and at work I am polite and try to do my best. :)
I'm glad for that. Thanks for telling me. If it isn't too personal, could you tell me more about what you've learned to do, to help cure people's pain with love?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Don't hesitate to ask specific questions ...
I thought that's what I was doing. :D Can you give me some examples of the differences that you see between Catholicism and Hinduism, in the meanings of praying on beads and keeping images?
... and it also would be helpful if you told me which religions you are familiar with besides the Bahai faith. I saw you mentioned Paganism.
Christianity, and the life and sayings of Confucius. A little bit of Islam. I've read some parts of the Quran, and I've read about the history. I'm planning now to learn about Taoism, and Chinese folk religion.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I thought that's what I was doing. :D Can you give me some examples of the differences that you see between Catholicism and Hinduism, in the meanings of praying on beads and keeping images?

My experience with Hinduism is mostly influenced by the Hare Krishnas. Hinduism is a very multi-faceted religion. I think nobody can speak for all Hindus.

Catholics are to strive for "holiness", which in practice mostly means to get one's sins absolved by confession. The Bhagavad Gita teaches to go beyond that. Loving God (Krishna) for the sake of Himself and not for some "benefit" (like going to heaven). This love of God is called bhakti. Bhakti means "devotion", but devotion to God with the intent of "getting something/anything out of it" is not bhakti. Bhakti can be directed to the invisible God (which I think is mostly done by Sikhs and Sufis), but for the sake of making the process easier, it is often directed to a "chosen God" (Ishta-deva) who has distinct qualities (the can also be directed towards a Goddess). A primitive analogy might be the infatuation for a celebrity. Worshipping the ishta-deva does not preclude the concept that God is impersonal at the same time. In Hinduism, all "gods" are forms of the same God. Details may vary according to the sects of Hinduism.

As God can have distinct qualities, it is also not forbidden to worshipping God through an image. Instead, it is seen as helpful. People keep pictures of their loved ones, knowing that those images are not the persons themselves. I think at least formally consecrated statues in temples are seen as direct representations of God. For images on personal altars, it is not so strict, but they too should be treated with respect. Catholics do not believe that images are direct representations of God, with the exception of the Eucharist, which is, so obviously they worship it and treat it with respect.

In context with bhakti, rasa is also important. Rasa is the "taste" you get out of bhakti, the "role" you play in context with God. I think many Catholics are in the "rasa" of loving God "the Father" and "Mother Mary". Christians believe that humans are the "children of God". I think in practice many Catholics may venerate Mary because God is seen as too distant or too strict. At least, this was my impression. In the rosary, you pray ten Hail Marys for each Our Father. I found this a little pelicular, so I was happy for the ability of worshipping God "directly" by chanting his names on a "mala". A mala is similar to a rosary, but it has 108 beads. For me, God means Krishna. Bahais believe that Krishna is a messenger of God, but in the Bhagavad Gita and in the Bhagavata Purana it is said that Krishna is God Himself, so there's a difference between Hinduism and the Bahai faith.

The "rasas" you can have in Hinduism are more varied than in Christianity. You can be God's servant, like in Christianity, but you also can have a "peaceful" (neutral) relationship with God, you can be God's friend, parent or lover. I found this more attractive than "being a child of God", as children might have negative feelings towards their parents, while one mostly doesn't fear a friend or a lover.

This is a summary of my religious views. I hope it matches the information you were looking for. Take care.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"Both paths are investigation of reality." I like that!

If it isn't too personal, could you talk to me about some of the investigation that you've done?
Most of the spiritual investigation does happen from within :) But then when i start to see the connection between the spiritual and the physical world i see that when we act, think or speak it will affect our life no matter what we do. And as long we do not try to harm others, we will experience much more love and happiness in our own life. so my research are more based on humans then of other topics. but we see the same in nature too. when we do not harm nature we gain from it. When we harm the nature, our own actions lead to chaos and nature get destroyed

Reactions: Jim

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I meant to invite people to do in this thread was to give examples of what they have been doing in their daily lives, and how that relates to their own personal journey/path/Dharma/walk/way. Some people, before they would do that, might wonder why I'm inviting people to do that, so I tried to explain my reasons.

Jim, for my wife and I it easier to say where we ended up in our journey of faith to date. We are in a little town of around 1500 people, very remote from other Baha'i, with a 600km drive to the nearest small LSA and any help that could be provided. Except they are not even part of our cluster, thus it is 900km to the Next LSA that administers this cluster. Normanton is not a goal or a priority, thus that is a challenge.

The town has many cultural challenges and there is a lot of substance abuse amongst the residents. Our hearts cry out for the children trapped in a cycle that can offer them little hope of employment in the future.

We have our hopes and our dreams that we can one day be involved in much needed Community Building Activities. Maybe some time soon the offers will be considered. Maybe some time soon some other Baha'i may also think that it would be a good place to help a community?

Would love the talents of you and your wife :D, but that is but another dream...;)

Regards Tony

syo

I'm glad for that. Thanks for telling me. If it isn't too personal, could you tell me more about what you've learned to do, to help cure people's pain with love?
I try not to do monkey bussiness with them. I am glad to be of service. And I don't want to make them feel bad.

Reactions: Jim