• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taiwan Is Not About China - The American Conservative

Suave

Simulated character
Only in this century did Taiwan finally get rid of the brutal, authoritarian KMT regime.
In my opinion, its people have a right to choose democratic autonomy regardless of whether they fit some dude's definition of what a "country" is.

Please let us realize around 90 percent of all nations recognize the People's Republic of China ( China ), but do not the Republic of China (Taiwan) as being a sovereign nation. The United States itself does not consider Taiwan as being a sovereign nation. The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Please let us realize around 90 percent of all nations recognize the People's Republic of China ( China ), but do not the Republic of China (Taiwan) as being a sovereign nation. The United States itself does not consider Taiwan as being a sovereign nation. The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China
Such acknowledgments are merely political stances.
Taiwan has a long separate functioning government.
Moreover, China is only one of several countries able to
lay claim to Taiwan. And the PRC has never controlled
Taiwan. It's claim is naught but....
"We want it, & we can take it. Just like Tibet.".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Taiwan

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Sorry, don't understand what you are saying.....
It seems clear to me that Biden is, if anything, even more beholden to the military-industrial complex than Trump, so why would the Xi regime in China "want" his administration to call the shots?

Azrael Antilla

Not really. I fully condemn all imperialist regimes, including the PRC. But when it comes to invading other countries, the PRC is hardly the worst or most dangerous of the current crop.
Well China is poised to increase its invasion tally if any of its verbal threats and sabre rattling are anything to go by. It's rather irrelevant to the Taiwanese and even the Tibetans, how many nations the USA has invaded recently. It's not the USA that threatens them or already occupies them.

Azrael Antilla

I am pro American and pro western so I lay those cards on the table. Full disclosure. Although I am British German, ethnically.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Well China is poised to increase its invasion tally if any of its verbal threats and sabre rattling are anything to go by.
Verbal threats and sabre rattling against enemy nations are par for the course for any imperialist power; if they were an indication of real military preparations, then we should have expected the US to invade Iran several times over.

But we are moving away from your original point, which was that China's imperialism is uniquely dangerous compared to all other imperialist powers on this planet.

It's rather irrelevant to the Taiwanese and even the Tibetans, how many nations the USA has invaded recently. It's not the USA that threatens them or already occupies them.
Are you Taiwanese or Tibetan, or otherwise involved in political resistance against the PRC there?
Do you think their reasons apply to your own position in this debate - and if so, why?

Azrael Antilla

Verbal threats and sabre rattling against enemy nations are par for the course for any imperialist power; if they were an indication of real military preparations, then we should have expected the US to invade Iran several times over.

But we are moving away from your original point, which was that China's imperialism is uniquely dangerous compared to all other imperialist powers on this planet.

Are you Taiwanese or Tibetan, or otherwise involved in political resistance against the PRC there?
Do you think their reasons apply to your own position in this debate - and if so, why?
We shall see if China decides to declare Ww3 or not in due course. However when a psychopathic dictator in charge of a significant military and economic power says he's going to do something. I listen.
China is uniquely dangerous as a prolific human rights abusing communist dictatorship. By default. That is all there is to say really.

Azrael Antilla

Taiwan is a democratic independent nation. Whether some nations officially recognise this or not is irrelevant to the Taiwanese. Irrelevant to the US and her allies like the UK and Japan. They all support Taiwanese independence, they all oppose Chinese expansionist ambition. Russian expansionist ambition was met with punitive sanctions. That are crippling the Russian economy. Chinese expansionist ambition will be met with the appropriate response. If the west has any sense whatsoever.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
China is uniquely dangerous as a prolific human rights abusing communist dictatorship. By default. That is all there is to say really.
Thanks for letting me know what you base your takes on, so I no longer need to waste my time debating this subject with you.

Suave

Simulated character
Such acknowledgments are merely political stances.
Taiwan has a long separate functioning government.
Moreover, China is only one of several countries able to
lay claim to Taiwan. And the PRC has never controlled
Taiwan. It's claim is naught but....
"We want it, & we can take it. Just like Tibet.".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Taiwan

In 1887, at the very end of the Qing Dynasty, the Manchu rulers in Beijing did decide to upgrade Taiwan’s status from a subsidiary of Fukien to a formal province of China. the governor appointed by Beijing, Liu Mingchuan developed the Chinese province of Taiwan, including modernizing it with electricity. China ceded Taiwan to Japan in 1895 after China was defeated by Japanese aggression during the Sino-Japanese War. Japan had to surrender control of Taiwan to the Republic of China after the Japanese empire was defeated in World War 2.. The Republic of China lost control of mainland China to the Communist People's Republic of China, but maintained control of Taiwan. The People's Republic of China (PRC) was established in mainland China on 1 October 1949 as the successor to the Republic of China (ROC). Chairman Mao's army intended to invade Taiwan and complete its obliteration of the Republic of China, but the Korean War and U.S. interventionism thwarted the People's Republic of China from eliminating the ROC in order for the PRC to take control of Taiwan . I suppose the PRC nowadays has the superior military means to overcome any military resistance towards the PRC eliminating the remnants of the ROC.

China Can Capture Taiwan In Three Days, Say Former U.S. Officials

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
Taiwan is a democratic independent nation. Whether some nations officially recognise this or not is irrelevant to the Taiwanese. Irrelevant to the US and her allies like the UK and Japan. They all support Taiwanese independence, they all oppose Chinese expansionist ambition. Russian expansionist ambition was met with punitive sanctions. That are crippling the Russian economy. Chinese expansionist ambition will be met with the appropriate response. If the west has any sense whatsoever.

I seriously doubt any nation's military, including the U.S. military, could successfully keep the People's Republic of China (PRC) military from eliminating the remnants of the Republic of China (ROC) in order to gain control of Taiwan by the PRC.

"No chance" U.S. can stop Chinese invasion of Taiwan, military expert says

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In 1887, at the very end of the Qing Dynasty, the Manchu rulers in Beijing did decide to upgrade Taiwan’s status from a subsidiary of Fukien to a formal province of China. the governor appointed by Beijing, Liu Mingchuan developed the Chinese province of Taiwan, including modernizing it with electricity. China ceded Taiwan to Japan in 1895 after China was defeated by Japanese aggression during the Sino-Japanese War. Japan had to surrender control of Taiwan to the Republic of China after the Japanese empire was defeated in World War 2.. The Republic of China lost control of mainland China to the Communist People's Republic of China, but maintained control of Taiwan. The People's Republic of China (PRC) was established in mainland China on 1 October 1949 as the successor to the Republic of China (ROC). Chairman Mao's army intended to invade Taiwan and complete its obliteration of the Republic of China, but the Korean War and U.S. interventionism thwarted the People's Republic of China from eliminating the ROC in order for the PRC to take control of Taiwan . I suppose the PRC nowadays has the superior military means to overcome any military resistance towards the PRC eliminating the remnants of the ROC.

China Can Capture Taiwan In Three Days, Say Former U.S. Officials
From the history you post, it seems that Taiwan
should control mainland China. It's the more
rightful regime for all of China. The PRC is no
better than our Confederates.

Suave

Simulated character
From the history you post, it seems that Taiwan
should control mainland China. It's the more
rightful regime for all of China. The PRC is no
better than our Confederates.

As appealing to me as is the notion of state-controlled capitalism like the state-controlled market economy managed by the PRC, I'm not totally sympathetic towards the PRC; however, I do respect the power of the PRC's military. I don't want anybody dying in combat over the PRC-ROC conflict in Taiwan. I'd like a diplomatic solution to resolving this conflict whereby the ROC is gradually eliminated and the PRC takes control over Taiwan in the year 2049.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....I do respect the power of the PRC's military. I don't want anybody dying in combat over the PRC-ROC conflict in Taiwan. I'd like a diplomatic solution to resolving this conflict whereby the ROC is gradually eliminated and the PRC takes control over Taiwan in the year 2049.
Aye, that's really what it all boils down to, ie, the PRC
has the desire, the power, & the disregard for rights of
others (or their own citizens) to make it happen.

Suave

Simulated character
Aye, that's really what it all boils down to, ie, the PRC
has the desire, the power, & the disregard for rights of
others (or their own citizens) to make it happen.

"Authorities in the PRC claim to define human rights differently, so as to include economic and social as well as political rights, all in relation to " national culture " and the level of development of the country. Authorities in the PRC, referring to this definition, claim that human rights are being improved."

Chinese Human Rights - International Chinese Corner

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Authorities in the PRC claim to define human rights differently, so as to include economic and social as well as political rights, all in relation to " national culture " and the level of development of the country. Authorities in the PRC, referring to this definition, claim that human rights are being improved."

Chinese Human Rights - International Chinese Corner
Political rights per PRC = The right to conform to their dictates
My views differ.

Azrael Antilla

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You seriously doubt that huh? Good for you. I like your fighting spirit. I admire your optimism. China however, will lose. Hard.

Are you talking about just China vs. Taiwan, or China vs. Taiwan, the U.S., and other Allied nations?