• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taiwan Is Not About China - The American Conservative

Azrael Antilla

Are you talking about just China vs. Taiwan, or China vs. Taiwan, the U.S., and other Allied nations?
I am talking about the most likely scenario. The US and her allies, including the UK and Japan and of course Taiwan versus China and possibly Russia and Iran too if the regional conflict spirals into a global conflict. Which is very likely.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'd like a diplomatic solution to resolving this conflict whereby the ROC is gradually eliminated and the PRC takes control over Taiwan in the year 2049.
Yes, I imagine it's going to go down much like in Hong Kong - a "peaceful transition" involving the brutal suppression of all dissent as military vehicles roll down the streets, crushing all opposition.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
You seriously doubt that huh? Good for you. I like your fighting spirit. I admire your optimism. China however, will lose. Hard.
This is not a football game. Many people are going to die horribly regardless of who "wins" or "loses".

Suave

Simulated character
Yes, I imagine it's going to go down much like in Hong Kong - a "peaceful transition" involving the brutal suppression of all dissent as military vehicles roll down the streets, crushing all opposition.

I've proposed a diplomatic solution offering anti-Chinese dissidents who are now based there on the Taiwanese island-state-to-be-province of China plenty of time to leave Taiwan if they could possibly find a better place than one that'd become ruled by the central committee of the People's Republic of China. If they would rather stick around and not play nice with China, I'm guessing there'd be severe consequences and repercussions against anti-Chinese dissidents.

top-chinese-communist-party-leaders-cpc-central-committee.jpg

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I've proposed a diplomatic solution offering anti-Chinese dissidents who are now based there on the Taiwanese island-state-to-be-province of China plenty of time to leave Taiwan if they could possibly find a better place than one that'd become ruled by the central committee of the People's Republic of China. If they would rather stick around and not play nice with China, I'm guessing there'd be severe consequences and repercussions against anti-Chinese dissidents.

top-chinese-communist-party-leaders-cpc-central-committee.jpg
You don't need to "guess"; just look up news reports from Hong Kong last year.

Ponder This

That ignores the fact about the 'airspace'. The facts in the piece are accurate and have been confirmed by many sources

I pointed out a fact that was inaccurate: that China had not fought any wars. The statement in the article was either ignorance or a lie. But that said, there's no need to contest facts about airspace in the article.

It was a record number of military aircraft crossing a zone, previously established (by Taiwan). It was a clear challenge to Taiwanese authority; the entire point of the exercise. These challenges take place in proximity to these countries celebrating certain anniversaries and accompanied with corresponding rhetoric.

He is free to cite his resume and opine that it is just rhetoric. However, making such an obvious error on a basic fact in a published article on the area of his supposed expertise is not encouraging. Taiwan scrambled their military in response. Japan remarked that China's ambition on Taiwan closely resembled the precursors of Russian aggression before the invasion of Crimea. But we are supposed to believe this man talked with lots of people in various countries of the region and his expert opinion is that nothing really was happening. Okay. Maybe.

Maybe it was just posturing or maybe China was testing to see if they could pull off an invasion (such as they have done before in their history). If he had not gotten such a basic fact wrong, I would be more inclined to believe him. But now I just consider it a lucky guess if he happens to be right. You can't put forth that you know what you are talking about with Taiwan-China relations and be taken that seriously when you get the most basic pertinent historical fact outright wrong. He was obliged to explain why it is not like the Chinese liberation invasion of Tibet or like the precursors to the Russian invasion of Crimea.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I see in this article that both the Taiwan representative to the US and the Chinese embassy have offered condolences to the victims.

Taiwan’s chief representative in the U.S., Bi-khim Hsiao, offered condolences to the shooting families on Twitter.

“I join the families of the victims and Taiwanese American communities in grief and pray for the speedy recovery of the wounded survivors,” Hsiao wrote on Sunday.

Chinese Embassy spokesperson Liu Pengyu told the AP via email that the Chinese government has “consistently condemned incidents of violence. We express our condolences to the victims and sincere sympathy to the bereaved families and the injured.”