• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syncretism in your life

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
During our life and experience we are exposed or even drawn to various elements of religion and philosophy. some resonate with us and we seem to take them with us. sometimes we even find out that we have developed our unique view which has syncretized elements from various phenomena.
personally I have been inspired by Sufi poetry, and specifically by Jalaluddin Rumi, the Persian poet and Sufi mystic who has lived during the 13th century. I have also been relating to Zen which emphesizes direct experience beyond the complex study of philosophy and religion. both of these phenomena are comfortable with me as Sufi poetry itself goes directly into what I find to be an uplifting experience of the Abrahamic cultures and which goes into human experience beyond theological division.
while I demand of myself to hold standards that would live to the expectations of modern science, these phenomena inspire a pantheistic experience for me that takes me beyond the mundane materialism and rationalism of our era and which balance my intellectual pursuits in light of modern science and critical thought.

What about you?

Jarry

At Peace
I have experienced a large degree of syncretic aspects in my life with regards to my religious practices. After studying virtually every religion, I found Buddhism to be the most practical, while at the same time I would never deny the effect that the Holy Spirit has had in my life. In essence I became a sort of Zen Christian. I know I will not meet the Christ or the Buddha in my life, they are dead men, so I merely try to connect with the divine in a way that is purely internal. I feel as if my knowledge of who both the Christ and Buddha truly were as well as the realization that spirituality is primarily musically and ritually driven somehow gave me a very enlightening experience. I now merely appreciate every moment as it comes and give thanks, for I know that I am truly alive; unlike those that from time to time may be far to wrapped in a purely materialistic notion of the universe to comprehend the divine that exists within all of us. When I began to see past the stubborn notions of "I am this" or "I am that", I finally came to the conclusion that "I am"; just as anyone would if they were to merely take the time to see into themselves in a proper way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
.....these phenomena inspire a pantheistic experience for me that takes me beyond the mundane materialism and rationalism of our era and which balance my intellectual pursuits in light of modern science and critical thought.
What about you?
I don't think materialism & rationalism are mundane, but rather endlessly complex, rich & fascinating

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm forever trying to pull disparate strings together.
Of late I feel I'm making some progress.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
During our life and experience we are exposed or even drawn to various elements of religion and philosophy. some resonate with us and we seem to take them with us. sometimes we even find out that we have developed our unique view which has syncretized elements from various phenomena.
personally I have been inspired by Sufi poetry, and specifically by Jalaluddin Rumi, the Persian poet and Sufi mystic who has lived during the 13th century. I have also been relating to Zen which emphesizes direct experience beyond the complex study of philosophy and religion. both of these phenomena are comfortable with me as Sufi poetry itself goes directly into what I find to be an uplifting experience of the Abrahamic cultures and which goes into human experience beyond theological division.
while I demand of myself to hold standards that would live to the expectations of modern science, these phenomena inspire a pantheistic experience for me that takes me beyond the mundane materialism and rationalism of our era and which balance my intellectual pursuits in light of modern science and critical thought.

What about you?
I like good wine. :yes: