• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sushi

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

My wife and I happened to walk into a sushi bar in Fort Worth a few years ago, thinking that it was a normal Japanese food place - all they had was sushi. It was a mom and pop place, and pop talked us into trying his specialty. I got a huge variety plate with all manner of seafood and such, and Mrs A_E pigged out on California rolls - wondering at the manhood of her gallant husband who unflinchingly ate a variety of raw seafood.

Good sushi is perfection - rolled rice, seaweed, and a variety of goodness in the middle, with ginger mustard and pickeled ginger to cleanse the pallet... ah.... sushi....: hamster :

It was funny that the sushi bar owner set up his shop right next door to a huge BBQ place. We asked and he said that he'd never been there - he's grossed out by all that meat.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Anything with tempura, I'm drawn to! *drools*

Like your wife, AE, I'm drawn to California rolls. So good!

It's one of the sad things about eastern Iowa that there are no sushi places around that I know of. :(

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
You know what...I still haven't tried raw fishies.

And everyone that I know who has, raves over it.

I guess I'm just addicted to the cooked variety, still it's something I'd like to try. I've heard very good things about California rolls...so maybe I should start with that.

nutshell

angellous_evangellous said:
My wife and I happened to walk into a sushi bar in Fort Worth a few years ago, thinking that it was a normal Japanese food place - all they had was sushi.

Hate to break it to you AE, but if you walked into a sushi bar and all they had was sushi, then you are in a normal Japanese food place.;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Eating sushi is not manly? This has never occurred to me. Don't macho samuris eat sushi?

A

angellous_evangellous

nutshell said:
Hate to break it to you AE, but if you walked into a sushi bar and all they had was sushi, then you are in a normal Japanese food place.;)

There's got to be a whole book of jokes

"Two rednecks walk into a sushi bar...."

BTW - Down here in Texas, one expects to walk into either a "Chinese Buffet" or one of those "Japanese Grill" setups where there is a very entertaining chef who fries up fix'ins on a grill in the center of the table when one sees Japanese food on the door.

I've never been brave enough to eat sushi from a buffet.:sheep: And personally, I'd rather knaw on my own leg than eat at any Oriental buffet - but the wife insists once in a blue moon.

nutshell

angellous_evangellous said:
There's got to be a whole book of jokes

"Two rednecks walk into a sushi bar...."

BTW - Down here in Texas, one expects to walk into either a "Chinese Buffet" or one of those "Japanese Grill" setups where there is a very entertaining chef who fries up fix'ins on a grill in the center of the table when one sees Japanese food on the door.

I've never been brave enough to eat sushi from a buffet.:sheep: And personally, I'd rather knaw on my own leg than eat at any Oriental buffet - but the wife insists once in a blue moon.

I don't trust them either.

UNLESS...it's Todai. It's sushi isn't bad and it's a well established and popular chain...unlike many of these mom and pop oriental buffets that get shut down after a few months for health code violations.

nutshell

MaddLlama said:
I can't eat most fish, so I'm stuck with the veggie variety. Though, Uangi Maki is also quite tasty.

I love unagi!

Can you eat soft shell crab? I really like it, but some people don't.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
nutshell said:
Is softshell crab considered sushi?!! :eek: I had it at a swanky restaurant in New York City this past spring. It was delicious, and as a rule, I'm not crazy about sushi.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I've learned two things from sushi places:

1. I do like octopus (just raw, not cooked)
2. I hate salmon in all forms.....

I say: COOK THE FISH AND SQUID, eat your octopus raw, and leave salmon eating to the bears!!!!!!!!;)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
nutshell said:
I love unagi!

Shellfish is what really sets me off (though oddly enough, shrimp gives me no problem), and by association when I smell any fish I get sick. It figures - I can eat squid and eel, but show me tuna or salmon and I can't handle it.