• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survival Tips

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Warm clothing, strong shoes, map, compass, food and water, first aid kit, knife, matches or lighter, phone, satellite version if you are going well off grid. The phone should have a built in LED that can be used as a torch or for signalling. Also a whistle could be handy.

Tell people roughly where you are going.

Note where the nearest supermarket is

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Warm clothing, strong shoes, map, compass, food and water, first aid kit, knife, matches or lighter, phone, satellite version if you are going well off grid. The phone should have a built in LED that can be used as a torch or for signalling. Also a whistle could be handy.

Tell people roughly where you are going.

Note where the nearest supermarket is
It occurs to me that one should have either a big can of bear
repellant or a large rifle in case of bears. This applies to both
survival in the wilderness & arguments on internet forums.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you're in a car and plunge into the water and start to sink you'll need to flood the inside of the car by opening a window so as to equalise the pressure on both sides of the door, to make it possible to open the door and get out. As otherwise the water pressure from the body of water your car is in will prevent you from opening up the door.

So I've heard. Personally, I'd try opening the door first, before flooding the car, just incase it would actually open...

The door won't open if the car has started to submerge. Open the window, just before the inside fill completely take a few good gulps of air and (if you can) launch yourself out the window. It saves precious seconds over opening the door.

Or so I've been told

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Everyone seems to be planning on surviving in the wilderness.
In an unexpected crisis, most of us will be in urban areas.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It occurs to me that one should have either a big can of bear
repellant or a large rifle in case of bears. This applies to both
survival in the wilderness & arguments on internet forums.

Yes, there are a few bears over this side of the pond. Perhaps a pic-a-nic basket would help.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Keep a blanket in the car in case you get stuck or stranded in a snow storm.
Keep a flashlight in the car, too. Can be used to signal for help.
Oh, and a first-aid kit for the car, too.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I recently found a video about how to crack a coconut without tools and now I'm wondering: what are some survival tips you people know? Give us the staying alive tips you know for the outdoors!

:leafwind::deciduous::palmtree::evergreen::seedling::snowflake::herb::bearface::anchor::greenapple:

Are you planning to go off grid on the Yorkshire moors?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Some possible disasters are not really survivable, or you wouldn’t particularly want to survive.
Some means of comfortably ending your life may prove desirable.
Just sayin’

ChristineM

Premium Member
Will it fit in a backpack ?

No, just don't wonder too far from one.

I sort of have an advantage. There is a lot of wild forest, mountains, valleys, rivers all withing short walking distance, and small, supermarket.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Keep flashlights, batteries, and 72 hours worth of bottled water and non perishable food on hand in case the grid is brought down by natural disaster, for example.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Acquire a selection of antibiotics and antiseptics. Learn about which antibiotics treat which problems.
Build a portable solar oven. Much easier than you think.
Learn how to make alcohol, and have suitable yeast on hand.
Alcohol is incredibly useful. For fuel, antiseptic, and getting wasted.