• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survival Tips

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently found a video about how to crack a coconut without tools and now I'm wondering: what are some survival tips you people know? Give us the staying alive tips you know for the outdoors!

:leafwind::deciduous::palmtree::evergreen::seedling::snowflake::herb::bearface::anchor::greenapple:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Have sufficient cash on hand.
Don't buy the extended warranty.
Wear shoes comfortable for walking.
Carry a spare can of gas in your vehicle.
Have spare clothing, especially for cold weather.
Make sure that each line in a post is longer than the preceding one.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I recently found a video about how to crack a coconut without tools and now I'm wondering: what are some survival tips you people know? Give us the staying alive tips you know for the outdoors!

:leafwind::deciduous::palmtree::evergreen::seedling::snowflake::herb::bearface::anchor::greenapple:
#1: carry a good knife.
#2: only use your knife to cut things when absolutely necessary. Don't dull it or break it on stuff that you didn't need it for.

Apart from that, if you're going to be sleeping in the woods, remember to think about the 5 Ws:

- wind. How will you shelter from it?
- water. Important in 2 ways: 1) how will you keep yourself and your campsite dry? 2) how will you get drinkable water?
- wood. Do you have a supply of firewood?
- widowmakers. What hazards are there around you and above you (e.g. dead tree limbs ready to fall)?
- wildlife. How will you keep animals away from you and your food?

All relatively simple stuff, but it's useful to stop and confirm that your strategy accounts for all of them.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I suggest familiarising yourself with all the herbs and ‘weeds’ that grow in your area.

Within easy walking distance of my inner city apartment, I have found ...
...stinging nettle, which is an incredibly nutritious food. Wear gloves to pick it ... The stinging hairs go soft and harmless when cooked.

...amaranth - aka ‘love lies bleeding’. Excellent food. The seeds can be puffed like popcorn. They have about twenty aminos... The leaves are similar nutritionally to spinach. Like spinach, they contain oxalate, which interferes with absorption of calcium. Either add some vitamin C - like a squeeze of lemon - or cook them to destroy the oxalate. (That is also true for spinach btw. Eating a lot of raw spinach could contribute to osteoporosis)

...wild lettuce - lactuca virosa - an excellent pain killer and mood lifter. Also used in salads, like rocket.

...poppies. Including papaver somniferum, the traditional opium poppy. Analgesic.

...tobacco. Can you believe it ? Actual Virginia tobacco growing on the footpath. No one recognises it !

Also various culinary herbs, pomegranate, aloes of various kinds ( great for treating wounds).

And various sources of DMT, of course. That is everywhere...

And I found considerable numbers of ephedra plants. Hundreds actually. The Mormon variety, aka ‘whorehouse tea’. An excellent stimulant.

That is all in walking distance from my home.

In a crisis, those plants represent food and medicine, and almost nobody recognises them.

I even have a regular supply of psilocybe mushrooms (should I want them) growing every autumn in the car park of my local shopping centre !

Everything you need is in the Open Your ****ing Eyes department.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I would say knowing how to light a fire is one of the most important survive skills, secondly how to build a shelter that keep you warm and dry.
Know your forest for berries, mushroms, roots, and so on. Carry a knife or and axe.
For those who accept killing animals, know your weapon.

Always carry a map of the area you planing to go to.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Inspired by Howard's post above, Wild Plantain Weed for bee stings... It grows everywhere around here. Chew it up, and shmear it on the sting.

upload_2020-9-3_8-19-48.png

Plantain Weed: Benefits, Side Effects, and Uses

"plantain weed contains plant compounds that may reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and promote wound healing."

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Always carry a map of the area you planing to go to.

That is all but impossible now in Australia, unless you bought all the maps you will ever need long ago.

First all the map shops shut down, and now the maps aren’t being printed at all.

It sucks.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If you're in a car and plunge into the water and start to sink you'll need to flood the inside of the car by opening a window so as to equalise the pressure on both sides of the door, to make it possible to open the door and get out. As otherwise the water pressure from the body of water your car is in will prevent you from opening up the door.

So I've heard. Personally, I'd try opening the door first, before flooding the car, just incase it would actually open...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I even have a regular supply of psilocybe mushrooms (should I want them) growing every autumn in the car park of my local shopping centre !

Know your forest for berries, mushroms, roots, and so on. Carry a knife or and axe.
For those who accept killing animals, know your weapon.

One tip I learned in my wilderness survival training: just ignore mushrooms.

Yes, some are edible, but some can kill you and the edible ones generally have negligible nutritional value. Unless your mushroom knowledge is really good, the risk-reward balance of eating wild mushrooms in the woods just doesn't make sense.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Can you pull one up online and print it out?

Good thought.
I don’t know.
The seriously useful topographic maps aren’t being printed for the public anymore. I haven’t heard anything about them being available online, so I didn’t even consider it.
I’ll look into it.