• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survival Tips

amorphous_constellation

The juice of a fiddlehead, and the spores of a young fern act as a minor pain suppressant; they act great as an emergency pain reliever in case you get stung by a stinging nettle.

And they can be eaten too I thought.. but I thought I saw something about there being a limit to how much one should eat, I'm not sure

Queen anne's lace is a wild carrot, and the flower bundles can be deep fried to make fritters (using cattail pollen, if you like). Just don't mistake it for poisonous hemlock or yarrow, which they look very similar to.

Didn't know that. Well it has a white carrot, does the yarrow and hemlock also have a white root

Also, some strains of dandelions are edible

Didn't know there were multiple strains even... Well it would have to be before late may around here, when they spray down acres of them with weed killer

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
And they can be eaten too I thought.. but I thought I saw something about there being a limit to how much one should eat, I'm not sure

True!

Didn't know that. Well it has a white carrot, does the yarrow and hemlock also have a white root

Yes; it is very very easy to mistake queen anne's lace with them. The carrot smell is one way, another is the formation of the flowers.

How-to-Tell-the-Difference-Between-the-Healing-%E2%80%9CQueen-Anne%E2%80%99s-Lace%E2%80%9D-and-Poisonous-%E2%80%9CHemlock%E2%80%9D-3-4.jpg

The one on the right is queen anne's lace.

Also, the queen anne's lace flowers should only be eaten when they aren't fully developed. That's the common theme, here. Most plants that are edible tend to be best when they are young, otherwise they get too tough and fibrous.

Didn't know there were multiple strains even... Well it would have to be before late may around here, when they spray down acres of them with weed killer

The edible ones have 1 flower per stem, and the stem sometimes has a purple hue. The leaf shape is also very distinct. If it doesn't have these characteristics, steer clear.

Common-Dandelion-(Taraxacum-officinale)_3.jpg

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
maybe kind of like a honey badger.. aren't those especially fatal to be in bad contact with.. they might be sort of related to raccoons, they might both be in the weasel family

I get concerned if I see them in the daytime, that doesn't seem normal.. I guess I should be watchful.. I kinda like to sit outside on a hot night and listen to podcasts.. tend to be awake all night since I work 3rd shift, suppose I got to watch my back

I don't know if you saw this youtube channel, I think it's called the 'raccoon whisperer,' this older guy sits out and feeds 30 of them at a time.. doesn't seem safe right
Sorry the word that showed up as "defective" in my last post was supposed to be " the fact that".

I'm using voice to text. :p

I don't think raccoons are strictly nocturnal. it's unusual to see them in the daytime but I don't think it's necessarily an indication that anything's wrong either.

I've never run across Badgers anywhere. I've been in badger country a couple of times, but I think they generally avoid people (probably a good thing all the way around).

The old guy feeding the raccoons will probably be all right as long as he doesn't try to pet one.

For a long time I was in the habit of feeding the raccoons down at the beach or over at the University where I hung out. There was one that used to run up to me just like a dog every time he saw me, and the younger ones would sometimes put their front paws on my leg like a puppy begging for food.
Really theyre one of my favorite animals, but for all the reasons I mentioned in my other post you still want to be wary of them, and you definitely don't want to encourage them to hang out at your place.

Eyes to See

I recently found a video about how to crack a coconut without tools and now I'm wondering: what are some survival tips you people know? Give us the staying alive tips you know for the outdoors!

:leafwind::deciduous::palmtree::evergreen::seedling::snowflake::herb::bearface::anchor::greenapple:

A YouTuber by the moniker CrazyRussianHacker has some extensive videos on just such things...

Here is one such example on how to open a tin can without a can opener...check out his channel he has dozens if not hundreds of videos like it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Cute as they are, raccoons are some of the most vicious fighters in the forest. They're incredibly quick, and they have opposable thumbs, four of them as a matter of fact.
So that is where we can splice the DNA necessary to get a pair of thumbs on each hand - always thought that might be one future alteration that humans could have. Might enable things to be done with one hand that normally requires two. :D

Also, surprising no one has mentioned cable ties - of varying lengths - can be useful in all sorts of ways.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
For fire....
I've got a fresnel lens (type of magnifying glass) I keep, along with a bag of dryer lint, a great fire starter! Will only work on sunny days.

If cloudy, a full battery & steel wool coupled with dry pine sraw will get a fire going.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I recently found a video about how to crack a coconut without tools and now I'm wondering: what are some survival tips you people know? Give us the staying alive tips you know for the outdoors!

:leafwind::deciduous::palmtree::evergreen::seedling::snowflake::herb::bearface::anchor::greenapple:
1. Don't panic!
2. Know what you're doing or don't do it at all.