• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprising Sex Stats: Probably Three In Four Pregnancies End In Abortion. Other Stats . . . .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am going to suggest it was redirecting rather than misleading. They clearly explained that the statistic consisted of both spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) and medically induced abortions, seemingly in an attempt to destigmatize the notion that a person who had an abortion is "bad."

If they were misleading, they wouldn't have been clear about it or would have presented false information.
The mere whiff of misleadingitude would be enuf to defeat efforts
to destigmatize abortion among those stigmatizing it....IMO.
They'll seize upon it as a nefarious tactic.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Aside from the statistic clearly including spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), it also does not specify abortions done due to irresponsible sex.

A miscarriage isn't an abortion.

So the statistic includes rape, folks who got preganant responsibly but had to terminate for medical reasons, and folks who had sex responsibly but still got pregnant (defective condom, man misused condom, other defective devices, etc.).

Those make up the minority of abortion cases. Most abortions are due to convenience.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
In what way?
Tom

Not all abortions occur at the fetal (edited from "fetish"--hahaha!) stage of development (8 weeks, I believe?).

Pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion. Many pro-choice folk are more interested in making sure abortions are reasonably available as a medical option.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The mere whiff of misleadingitude would be enuf to defeat efforts
to destigmatize abortion among those stigmatizing it....IMO.
They'll seize upon it as nefarious tactic.

Fair. I would hope that folks would take this at face value and understand that the word "abortion" isn't just a political term.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, I see the strategy here: use misleading terminology in the title, then hire a narrator who's voice and mannerisms are so annoying that most people won't be able to stand watching more than a minute or so of the video and will thus miss any token clarifications buried somewhere towards the end.

Shad

Veteran Member
It isn't a medically induced abortion. It is, however, a synonym for a naturally occurring or spontaneous abortion.

Sure.

Do you have data for this?

Only for places that report reasons. Obviously outside the West there are more issue with health and access to care. However in the West abortions are done because it isn't convenient. Timing, financial, relationships, etc.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1506575
Top Reasons Women Have an Abortion
Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2015
Women have abortions for many reasons aside from rape and incest. Here are some of them - CNN

It certainly doesn't fit the quoted statistic you used from the OP.

No it is pretty close as those make up a tiny minority in the West and developed nations.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Your sources show that there are various reasons for getting an abortion, including rape, abuse, failure of birth control, health of the mother and/or offspring. There is no reason to suggest that 3 out of 4 are from irresponsible sex, especially where the data is inconsistent. (Note: I haven't read through the entirety if the sources, so that is an assumption from a skimming.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK, I see the strategy here: use misleading terminology in the title, then hire a narrator who's voice and mannerisms are so annoying that most people won't be able to stand watching more than a minute or so of the video and will thus miss any token clarifications buried somewhere towards the end.
You get a frubal for summarizing the video I didn't want to watch.

Shad

Veteran Member
Your sources show that there are various reasons for getting an abortion, including rape, abuse, failure of birth control, health of the mother and/or offspring.

Now look at the percentages. All those are in the lowest percentages

There is no reason to suggest that 3 out of 4 are from irresponsible sex, especially where the data is inconsistent. (Note: I haven't read through the entirety if the sources, so that is an assumption from a skimming.)

Actually there are reasons. Start looking about reasons for abortion in reports and polls such as. Medical reasons are not even close to the major nor large minority.

Understanding why women seek abortions in the US

"financial reasons (40%), timing (36%), partner related reasons (31%), and the need to focus on other children (29%)."

"The most commonly reported reasons for abortion in 2004 (selected from a researcher-generated list of possible reasons with write-in options for other reasons) were largely similar to those found in the 1987 study [11]. The top three reason categories cited in both studies were: 1) “Having a baby would dramatically change my life” (i.e., interfere with education, employment and ability to take care of existing children and other dependents) (74% in 2004 and 78% in 1987), 2) “I can’t afford a baby now” (e.g., unmarried, student, can’t afford childcare or basic needs) (73% in 2004 and 69% in 1987), and 3) “I don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems” (48% in 2004 and 52% in 1987)."

"A sizeable proportion of women in 2004 and 1987 also reported having completed their childbearing (38% and 28%), not being ready for a/another child (32% and 36%), and not wanting people to know they had sex or became pregnant (25% and 33%)."

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Now look at the percentages. All those are in the lowest percentages

Actually there are reasons. Start looking about reasons for abortion in reports and polls such as. Medical reasons are not even close to the major nor large minority.

Understanding why women seek abortions in the US

"financial reasons (40%), timing (36%), partner related reasons (31%), and the need to focus on other children (29%)."

"The most commonly reported reasons for abortion in 2004 (selected from a researcher-generated list of possible reasons with write-in options for other reasons) were largely similar to those found in the 1987 study [11]. The top three reason categories cited in both studies were: 1) “Having a baby would dramatically change my life” (i.e., interfere with education, employment and ability to take care of existing children and other dependents) (74% in 2004 and 78% in 1987), 2) “I can’t afford a baby now” (e.g., unmarried, student, can’t afford childcare or basic needs) (73% in 2004 and 69% in 1987), and 3) “I don’t want to be a single mother or am having relationship problems” (48% in 2004 and 52% in 1987)."

"A sizeable proportion of women in 2004 and 1987 also reported having completed their childbearing (38% and 28%), not being ready for a/another child (32% and 36%), and not wanting people to know they had sex or became pregnant (25% and 33%)."

I have to concede to the data. While I think your original post inaccurately quoted the video, without knowing the details behind the pregnancies in your quoted figures (it may well be that many had responsible sex but chose to abort for other reasons), I cannot argue from the data.

How do you define irresponsible sex? Do you see that as different from an irresponsible abortion? Is it different from an irresponsible pregnancy?

Shad

Veteran Member
I have to concede to the data. While I think your original post inaccurately quoted the video, without knowing the details behind the pregnancies in your quoted figures (it may well be that many had responsible sex but chose to abort for other reasons), I cannot argue from the data.

My 3/4 was more of tongue in cheek.

How do you define irresponsible sex?

By not thinking 5 minutes into the future or looking at one's bank account. Simply put if you are not prepared to take care of the child you should not be having sex.

Do you see that as different from an irresponsible abortion?

It is linked as most abortions are done due to a problem as per my above comment

Is it different from an irresponsible pregnancy?

Not really. All are connected.

Shad

Veteran Member
You read the title only, right?

Nope. Miscarriages are a minority of abortions in the 1st world. The stat didn't separate miscarriages from induced abortions. Normative use of abortion isn't about miscarriages. More so she babbled about shame and such which places the meaning into induced abortions.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion. Many pro-choice folk are more interested in making sure abortions are reasonably available as a medical option.

This.

My wife and I are what would be termed pro-choice. However I can't imagine that we woulder have ever gotten an abortion, unless something extreme happened (rape, medical risk to mother).

I also supported marriage equality quite strongly, but have no plans to marry a man.