• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprising Sex Stats: Probably Three In Four Pregnancies End In Abortion. Other Stats . . . .

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've known the abortion numbers for a long time, but I really do like to differentiate between spontaneous abortion, which happens naturally, and intentional, in which the woman makes a choice. And it is a fact that spontaneous abortion happens a lot more often than practically anybody realizes.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I've known the abortion numbers for a long time, but I really do like to differentiate between spontaneous abortion, which happens naturally, and intentional, in which the woman makes a choice. And it is a fact that spontaneous abortion happens a lot more often than practically anybody realizes.
Those are called "miscarriages" if it happens before the 20th week. I have never heard the phrase "spontaneous abortion" in my life before this video.

Impressive wordplay on the part of some to try and make abortions seem normal, I will say.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Those are called "miscarriages" if it happens before the 20th week. I have never heard the phrase "spontaneous abortion" in my life before this video.
See, RF can be educational. :p

Impressive wordplay on the part of some to try and make abortions seem normal, I will say.
That you prefer lay terminology does not mean the medical terminology is born of some stratagem to make abortions seem normal, which they just happen to be. From MedicineNet

"In medicine, an abortion is the premature exit of the products of conception (the fetus, fetal membranes, and placenta) from the uterus. It is the loss of a pregnancy and does not refer to why that pregnancy was lost. A spontaneous abortion is the same as a miscarriage."
source

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

yes spontaneous abortions happen. If a woman’s body believes something is amiss it will abort pregnancy. You learn this in sex education.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
See, RF can be educational. :p

That you prefer lay terminology does not mean the medical terminology is born of some stratagem to make abortions seem normal, which they just happen to be. From MedicineNet

"In medicine, an abortion is the premature exit of the products of conception (the fetus, fetal membranes, and placenta) from the uterus. It is the loss of a pregnancy and does not refer to why that pregnancy was lost. A spontaneous abortion is the same as a miscarriage."
source

While technically correct, common parlance in this
context doesn't treat "miscarriage" as an abortion.
To conflate the 2 words seems misleading.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
While technically correct, common parlance in this
context doesn't treat "miscarriage" as an abortion.
To conflate the 2 words seems misleading.

I am going to suggest it was redirecting rather than misleading. They clearly explained that the statistic consisted of both spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) and medically induced abortions, seemingly in an attempt to destigmatize the notion that a person who had an abortion is "bad."

If they were misleading, they wouldn't have been clear about it or would have presented false information.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
3 of 4 people that get pregnant are irresponsible. Next!

Aside from the statistic clearly including spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), it also does not specify abortions done due to irresponsible sex.

So the statistic includes rape, folks who got preganant responsibly but had to terminate for medical reasons, and folks who had sex responsibly but still got pregnant (defective condom, man misused condom, other defective devices, etc.).