• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court rules subsidization of private schools must also include religious ones

Tambourine

I doubt that.
Public school quality was & is a major reason for the existence of private schools.
With all due respect, if States stop funding their own school system and instead shovel their school budgets into private schools, then it's no wonder that private school (which are already at an advantage due to the simple fact that they cherry pick their students while public schools cannot) are doing better by comparison.

It appears that we have fundamentally different views on how to run a society.
You advocate a single system....a universally good one run by government.
It would be so reliably good, that you'd tear down & disallow back-up systems.
I prefer decentralization & choice. Keep public schools, but allow other ways
to flourish....diversity of thought & methods...all meeting prescribed standards.
Would it be fair to say that you're an "order" kind of guy, & that I'm "chaos"?
Should people be forced, via taxes, to pay for private schools that their kids can't afford?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
With all due respect, if States stop funding their own school system and instead shovel their school budgets into private schools, then it's no wonder that private school (which are already at an advantage due to the simple fact that they cherry pick their students while public schools cannot) are doing better by comparison.
Public schools still get funding. Private schools aren't replacing them in a big way.
And public school problems aren't caused by the best students migrating to private
schools. They're fundamental, ie, under-funded, poorly managed, parenting issues.
Should people be forced, via taxes, to pay for private schools that their kids can't afford?
Taxation is all about forcing people to pay for things they might or might
not want or be able to use. Even things strongly objected to, eg, wars.
Even those who have no kids in school must pay. My kids are grown &
working, yet I pay around $20K/year in property taxes to fund schools.
And then even more in income taxes.
It's our system.
So to parents who can't afford sending kids to private schools, I say...
"Welcome to the club."